Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SuperNatural? Not in my backcountry!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 pm 

Dear Mr, Travis Rice and Red Bull:

Your envisioned Supernatural as an event "as a bridge, bringing all of snowboarding under one flag again", I vociferously disagree with your vision, of bringing your “skate park” to my backcountry! The last thing I want to see in the backcountry is man-made kickers, made from mature trees! Especially when I travel to a remote backcountry lodge and drop some serious coin. Are your kickers still there?

Your sense of “natural” is on par with food advertisers defining “natural flavor”, but is not pure backcountry! It is a sham to call something natural in your and in their context. What happen to “Leave No Trace” ethos in the backcountry? Do you remember what the Lorax said:

or better yet:

Seriously what you thinking? A cool jump and dollars in your pocket? Well the Supernatural contest is over; and if the platforms (kickers) are still there, then your scars on the landscape are there for all of us to see. What are you the “next-gen” Mountain Pine Bark Beatle?” see: http://tiny-themovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mt-pine-bark-beetle.jpg

Perhaps you consider yourself an “artist”. Like Jeanne-Claude: Baccalauréat whose “ego” tries to “improve” on mother nature. Like Surrounded Islands http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/major_islands.shtml. IMO: a perversion of the landscape.

and in 2015 Jeanne-Claude: Baccalauréat is going to cover 42 miles of the Arkansas River (in Colorado, near the Royal Gorge). See http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/prog_river.shtml.

What next a rollercoaster or a tram? http://straightchuter.com/2012/02/wasatch-prepares-for-beheading

I said it, was my Backcountry, Well I have the right to speak up, since I have been skiing in the backcountry, before you were a zygote, and have been riding and shredding while you still in diapers.

To Redbull: I do not want to see a “SuperNatural” contest to expand to other regions; It is a mockery to call this “progress in snowboarding”.

To my fellow Splitboarders: Sound-off as to whether you condone :thumbsup: or condemn :thumbsdown: a SuperNatural contest taking place in your backcountry!

See http://www.usatoday.com/sports/action/story/2012-02-08/travis-rice-wins-supernatural-contest/53018710/1 for more details about the contest.

Also see TR's interview:

Post subject: Re: SuperNatural? Not in my backcountry!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:54 am 

I do believe this contest took place on privately owned land by the operator. Land that in no way a day tourer was going to hit. I actually think it was pretty kewl, and don't have much of a problem with it. Especially if they re use the set up, maybe modify it for next year.

I will have a problem with it, say if they set up a course on Berthoud Pass, or in the Cottonwoods. Well maybe not the cotton woods if they can take over some of the land Talisker is proposing to put that stupid tram in the Wasatch. We know that ain't going to happen though.

Anyway, without watching all the videos. The first contest in Jackson did not have such modifications as this last contest. I dig what T-Rice is doing overall. If he keeps it to these remote locations, not much of a problem. If he tries to put one of these contests in a spot where Joe schmoe like me accesses, not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:27 am 

You must really hate Mtn. bikes in your backcountry. ^+1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:47 am 

I agree with the golden rule of leave no trace in the woods. I hope nobody goes out and attempts something like this in your local forest, it's illegal! There are a lot of mountain bike features out in the woods too so I don't see the difference. I guess my feeling is that these guys really got to showcase their not-from-this-planet abilities, so good for them. If this kind of riding, i.e. burton stash parks takes off, it just leaves more tracks in the true wilderness for the rest of us!

But I agree that I'd be upset if people go out and start making state/fed. lands their own playgrounds. As much as I mountain bike, I think we have to be careful with that as well. People don't want to hike through somebodies skate park.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:19 am 

Because he is the first guy to ever cut down trees and build something out of them in the woods. Next thing you know, people will be building houses and stuff out of them!

This argument is ridiculous. I was building log rides in the backcountry ten years ago and guess what, it is fun.

Pull the stick out of your ass! (pun intended) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:49 am 

Powder_Rider wrote:
What are you the “next-gen” Mountain Pine Bark Beatle?”
Well you sparked any idea. There are millions of dead trees around waiting to become deadfall. I think cutting some down and making some fun terrain out of them would be AWESOME. Stacking pillows from dead logs, small tree jibs, etc would be fun. I personally would like to see stuff like this, but at a small impact, and on the dead trees. In the west, we don't need to go nuts, but we do have a lot of dead trees that could be used to some extent.

802, I'm sure you ride the notch, and I'm sure you realize that 99% of the stuff that is ridable there is due to thinning and brush cutting from people in the summer. And yes, they do cut trees. It is minimal impact if done right, and hardly noticeable in the summer.

I think TRice should keep out if it. 99.9% of people couldn't ride that stuff anyways. But I'd have no gripe if people did something useful with the dead trees in our backcountry, as long as it is low impact. Its been high avy danger all year, having something more fun to ride would be awesome.

:twocents:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 am 

This is "Uni-Bomber" talk. Sadly I totally agree with you. Now were both uni-bombers.

I feel the need for some environmentalist anarchy coming on....

1! 2! 3! 4! :band:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:12 am 

Incoherent rant. Missing a few key facts. Possibly a troll? Who knows. This is the final word on the subject:

summersgone, excellent idea stacking downed trees to make features. Slash piles. Double meaning.

There is a parcel in one of my zones slated for harvest next summer. I can't wait.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 am 

Bring only friends... Leave only tracks... Take only photos...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 am 

You know what, man, tough debate..

I for the most part really dig the energy Travis brings to the industry, and the style of riding he represents.

However, at the core I really am a wilderness freaken hippy who lives for the silence and spiritual wonder of the deep, deep woods and high alpine peaks.

The Art of Flight was super rad to watch, but I really am pretty burned out on the overwhelming and obvious over-consumption of resources. Seeing a bunch of high alpine mature trees getting cut down (also note the tree cutting scene in That's it That's All) along with all the "heli-filming-heli-filming-rider" stuff kinda just leaves a weird taste in my mouth. I mean, I'll reiterate that I'm a hippy with one view point, but for me part of backcountry and mountaineering is having a reverence for mother nature's creations. Alpine timber takes many many decades to mature, so seeing it shamelessly sliced for the sake of one contest seems pretty lame! We need to believe that some things in this world are sacred...

Anyway, Trice really is a super rad human being face to face.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:46 am 

^ not just for the contest. Baldface just thinned a sweet run for customers to enjoy for years to come. The features will likely become firewood at the lodge or left in place as snag habitat. They're lucky. Very few cat operations get to do that kind of thinning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:01 pm 

summersgone. You raise a good debate on trail blazing. Although most of our riding is done on cut trails I feel that organizations like the green mountain club do a great job at cutting/maintaining trails. When people cut there own trails we end up with problems like the mess on big jay a few years back. Jay peak closed access to big jay because of that. I'd be a liar if I said I always stay on state trails. But there is deffinetly a right way and a wrong way to cut as you said. Burton built a stash park at killington and it's rad. I Just know I'd be bummed if we lost anymore of Mansfield to commercialized skiing/riding

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:23 pm 

I'm all for it. yeah, we should leave the mature trees alone, but dead or scraglly trees are fair game. Shit, every mountain range should have at least one SuperNatural course set up.