Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Hard Winter: Reflections from Montana
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 am 

Well put Patrick. For me Steve's death was sad but unfortunately not at all surprising. After reading about more and more close calls I felt like it was only a matter of time. I personally have become less and less interested in the risk of backcountry snowboarding over the last couple of years while it's popularity has soared. I know how lucky I have been in the past and I know how lucky a lot of people are getting while shredding peaks in powder conditions like nothing bad could ever happen. Bridger Bowl opening saddle peak to hiking really brought that to a point - it seems kind of ridiculous that everyone knows it's going to slide and kill someone but everyone is still willing to take that risk for a few pow turns. Fortunately that hasn't quite happened yet, but only because someone got really lucky on their 1500' ride in an avalanche a month ago or so. I'm no saint either, I certainly have taken chances up there myself.

I know Patrick and I have been a pretty good team in the past and have tagged some sick lines with minimal risk, although sometimes we may have pushed it a little bit more than we should. I look forward to riding with him (and Nick) again!
It's been a fun winter for me even without touching any kind of snowboard, I moved to Northern New Jersey and have been mountain biking all winter!
Be safe out there everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:42 pm 

JP!!! It's been too long...

I actually was thinking a little while ago that I'm glad you're in NJ - selfishly I'd rather have you around as a riding partner, but I'm psyched for you to explore all the things that you'd never get from this outdoor-obsessed community. That said, if you ever feel like getting away for a bit, I'd gladly go on a tour with you!

Yeah, I still remember that Cali trip as perhaps my favorite, especially because 99% of the risk came from the terrain, with 1% coming from avalanches. Even in spring we don't get anywhere near that kind of stability around here!

Quote:
After reading about more and more close calls I felt like it was only a matter of time.

I had been thinking the same thing myself, unfortunately.

Kyle - still one of my favorite TRs of all time was when you turned around a few days into the Picket traverse. Even though you didn't get the "glory", I still thought it was rad that you looked at the evidence, weighed your options, and chose the safer path.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:34 am 

nomad wrote:
Our own decision-making, as usual, seems to be the crux of the matter. Beginners make poor decisions because they don't know any better. Experts make poor decisions because they think they know better. We all make poor decisions at some point.

A notion we should never forget.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:17 pm 

In his tribute, Steve’s former boss, Phil Leeds of Skinny Skis gear store, got it right. “Steve didn’t die doing what he loved,” he said, “he lived doing what he loved.”

amen

http://www.backcountrymagazine.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=732&Itemid=52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am 

Really unfortunate accident, didnt know either of them, but definitely lurked on tetonAT. such a bad year for avy fatalities this season, too.
i know its been said, but its so important to put good judgment and caution before anything. I know, personally, i'm more than lucky as I've had too many close calls by stomping around in shit thats way over my head.