Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st set up for all condition riding in Chamonix
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:01 pm 

After a recent 2 weeks stint in Chamonix dragging around on snow shoes and with a couple of people on split boards, I have decided that I urgently need to get a split board set up and need advice on some possible options.

I am 5'8" and 210lbs, and normally ride 161 to 163 solid boards (generally pretty stiff). Split board will be used for everything from short tours into low level lines ending in combat boarding through trees, through to full tour days, with mixed snow conditions, icy sections into gullies and hopefully some open powder riding (well at least a few days each season I hope) - hence do not want a really big powder specific board (thinking 161 to 165 split length maximum, as I would not feel comfortable riding something bigger in icy coulior sections or tight trees).

Options to purchase in the UK are pretty limited (and much more expensive than the US) and only slightly more choice in Chamonix (and then really, really expensive), hence have a pretty limited set of options.

Looking around what was easily available (and not ridiculously expensive) have seen the following options and am interested in others comments who use their set ups for similar varied conditions

1) K2 panoramic 162 - can get at resonable price, has full kit and can I can get a set of Spark Burner (or Burner LT) bindings at sensible price
2) Rome White Room 162 (cant find 165 here) - can get at reasonable price, and would then add kit and Spark Burner or Karakoram bindings (Karakoram bindings cost about 660 dollars delivered from Karakoram, or cost nearly 840 dollars in shop in Chamonix!!!)
3) Venture Odin 164 - board only available in UK - seems like a great board but set up with Karakorams or Sparks would be super expensive over here
4) Jones Solution 164 - again looks good, but no Karakoram gear on boards over here, and comes as full set up for 1300 dollars + Spark bindings or a lot more if I wanted Karakorams - also seems to be really difficult to get the 164 length here.
5) GNU billy goat - only short lengths (158) available
6) Lib Tech - v expensive and only seem to ge able to get 161.5 (prefer 164.5)

I considered splitting an old board, but due to lack of time, DIY ability and general fear of chopping a perfectly good board in two, I have decided against the DIY route.

Alternatively, if you could have any set up (no restriction on cost, delivery, availability) for one split board to ride all mixed conditions (162 to 165 long) what would you pick.

Looked at buying everything in US and getting it shipped, but time and cost of shipping / tax makes this less attractive.

Really appreciate peoples thoughts, feedback and preferences on what their ideal set ups would be out of the above possibilities.

Post subject: Re: 1st set up for all condition riding in Chamonix
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:58 am 

If your looking for a cheapish uk option this looks like a pretty decent deal
http://www.snowboardexperts.co.uk/item/ ... ebird/493/

Either that or try on ebay.de or ebay.at
Ive seen quite a few splits on there although the german ones tend not to deliver outside of germany. Search for splitboard or tourenboard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 am 

You are over-thinking this. Get something now, then get out there, after that you will start to figure out what you need and what you don' needt. I would always get a length similar to what you have and are comfortable riding.

To quote Lance Armstrong yet again: "it's not about the bicycle"

À votre santé

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:40 am 

lhs wrote:
I am 5'8" and 210lbs, and normally ride 161 to 163 solid boards (generally pretty stiff). Split board will be used for everything from short tours into low level lines ending in combat boarding through trees, through to full tour days, with mixed snow conditions, icy sections into gullies and hopefully some open powder riding (well at least a few days each season I hope) - hence do not want a really big powder specific board (thinking 161 to 165 split length maximum, as I would not feel comfortable riding something bigger in icy coulior sections or tight trees).

Venture Odin and Spark Burners.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:50 pm 

Ventures on sale at S&R. can be had for 490 if you ask nicely.

there's a zephy in High St Ken. 164. need skins and interface on top.

Just seen this too: http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/K2_Panoramic_Split_Snowboard_Binding_Plates_2012.html

Screaming deal! Bettered only by the Burtons, from what I've seen, and although you don't get the crampons, you do get a much better put together board. (the ones I've seen have had one or all of: big gap at the nose end, resin in the threads and hooks drilled 3mm off, so when the halves are pushed together, the graphics are 3mm off being matched

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:39 pm 

I personally bought a K2 cause it was cheap as dirt compared to anything else (I'm a lowly shop worker) and have been impressed with it so far. I have absolutely no idea how it stacks up to anything else but it's handled everything from steep and deep to hardpack and crusty like a champ.