Post subject: Re: The beheading of the Wasatch: more doom and gloom
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:31 am 

. . . and the Talisker land sale is through the house

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:04 am 

Scooby2 wrote:
. . . and the Talisker land sale is through the house

:clap:
look on the bright side maybe they will build a coaster from snowbird to the canyons. after we ride from one end to the other we can all drink pepsi or 3.2% beer and bang multiple wives in prairie dresses. in keeping of good ole utah tradition hopefully they won't allow homosexuals or non-white people on the coaster either. This state blows my fucking mind.

I also love that just the other day on ultra conservative KSL they were talking about federal vs. state control of utah land. they argued that state should have control of federal land because "what in the heck does a politician in Washington D.C. know about land in Utah?" "it's not like we are going to ruin our own resources, we live here." yeah.....

I understand that not everyone is as big of conservative hating hippie as I am, but can we all just take a step back before we rush into anything? Utah Adventure Journal's most recent issue also states that 61% of people polled opposed the tram being built . WTF!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:36 am 

Wait, WTF? Dan I think someone is seriously fucking with you man :scratch:

From the pro Ski-Link page...
http://skilink.com/supporters.php
"Right now, to ski a Cottonwood Canyon resort and a Park City resort in the same day would mean wasting a lot of time driving from one to the other. But, worse, the cost of two half-day passes would really be prohibitive. SkiLink sounds like it could solve this problem -- less hassle, less wasted time, more skiing and a two resort experience in a single day. I'm not sure why any skier would be against this win-win."
- Dan Gates, Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:15 pm 

for what its worth, I submitted letters to the members of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, individually and as a group through here

http://energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form

Also you can locate the members list and send individually, wish Utah would elect more folks like Senator Bingaman from N.M.

Alaska TRs look good, thanks guys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:11 pm 

ricorides wrote:
Why doesn't the general public of UT get upset about this? Hold on, I think I know why. Two things: First, the vast majority of the general public of Utah doesn't use the public lands the way we do. Secondly, the vast majority of the general public of Utah is Mormon, and Mormons have historically been suspicious of (if not completely hate) the fedral government, and therefore will do exactly the opposite of the intentions of the fedral governtment. I'm sorry to make this a culturally based arguement, as I know some UT splitters may be Mormon and many have Mormon friends. However, I know for fact this is part of the Mormon culture, and therefore part of the Utah legislative culture.

Hysterical suspicion of the government may have been the culture decades ago, especially back in the 1800's when the government actually signed extermination orders against them in Missouri. I don't believe that is the case now. I am LDS (mormon) and although I grew up in Colorado, I have lived in Utah for about 7 years now. Yeah, the general culture is a bit different in Utah compared to the Colorado LDS community, but I don't believe that hatred or suspicion of the government is the case. The problem is that LDS have strong opinions on social issues so they generally vote republican. This means that we get leadership that lumps all the other Republican views together (regardless of how the general population feels about land uses). Including the republican view that we should rape our land no matter the cost or consequences and put up a parking lot (At least that's how I see the views of our current republican leadership).

Anyway, only 1 of our 5 representatives is opposing the SkiLink bill currently. Jim Matheson, a democrat, and LDS (mormon). So I urge everyone to write him and thank him for opposing this crappy legislation. Also, write all the other reps and make a passionate plea to oppose it as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Wait, WTF? Dan I think someone is seriously fucking with you man :scratch:

From the pro Ski-Link page...
http://skilink.com/supporters.php
"Right now, to ski a Cottonwood Canyon resort and a Park City resort in the same day would mean wasting a lot of time driving from one to the other. But, worse, the cost of two half-day passes would really be prohibitive. SkiLink sounds like it could solve this problem -- less hassle, less wasted time, more skiing and a two resort experience in a single day. I'm not sure why any skier would be against this win-win."
- Dan Gates, Salt Lake City

wow lol. this is awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 am 

So what happened here? Are you guys getting connected and beheaded? 22 to 7 is a pretty large in favor vote.

http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/story/_/id/7658421/utah-legislature-passes-resolution-connect-ski-resorts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 am 

yep we are getting screwed.

I think this quote says it all in terms of the general stupidity of the people in support of this.

Quote:
"Utah is uniquely positioned to create a ski and snowboard experience available nowhere else in North America," said Ski Utah President Nathan Rafferty. "This resolution urges interconnection of the seven Salt Lake and Summit County ski resorts using best environmental practices."

Rafferty says the plan would bring a European-style feel to Utah skiing. "Although widely seen in Europe, a connection of this scale does not exist in North America," added Rafferty. "From a marketing and skier experience perspective, this would be a game-changer."

uhhhh the wasatch is nothing like europe, last time I checked connecting 800ft scrub oak filled ski runs are not the same as ski villages being connected in the Alps. :scratch:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 am 

This sucks... I guess I wont be coming back to visit Utah any time soon. I'm sure all the politicians will be making a bundle of cash.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34 am 

Quote:
I guess I wont be coming back to visit Utah any time soon

I dont know about that Pedro. Utah is a BIg state with some BIG mountains. The Wasatch is just a small part of Utah riding

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 am 

I guess that's true, I am just a beginner in Utah for sure. But the Wasatch seemed absolutely ideal to me when I went, hell I even thought about moving there! I got the impression that Utah cared (and catered to) about BC enthusiasts.

And apples vs apples: Wyoming is the same distance for me to travel...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:00 pm 

And now Talisker is poised to take over Park City mountain resort... (They already own the land, but are now in a pissing match with their tenants; PCMR)
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=19527842&title=park-city-mountain-resort-files-lawsuit-against-canyons-owner