Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 am 

Lot's of activity to ooh and ahh over up Little most of it from early morning bombing. You gotta dig deep to find the weak layer.
S facing slide
W. Facing slide. Got stuck up the canyon so hung out and dug a pit next to this crown.
N. East facing, down in the protected. CT 8 on a graupel depth hoar mixed weak layer that spilled out of the wall.
Take care everyone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:56 pm 

Nice photos Nic. Nice to talk to you that afternoon, and thanks again for letting all those girls steal your beer. :D

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:40 am 

Did a dawn patrol of Argenta yesterday expecting the absolute worse conditions. Was pleasantly surprised by the snow quality on the head wall. I would like to say all around, but anything that had a little west or even east in it was pretty baked. Since we started so early didn't have time for things to really soften up. Didn't get to hit what I wanted due to time constraints so just rode Argenta back down. Wanted to check out God's Lawnmower but always next time. Did an ECT on the Headwall on pretty north facing on a 37 degree slope without any result.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:06 am 

Bad news guys. I broke my split yesterday while skinning in BCC. Of course looking at the weather it is supposed to snow this weekend. By chance does anyone have one I can borrow for a fee booze or whatever? Thanks if anyone can help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

Heard a rumor there was deep powder, so I got out for a few hours this morning...
Snow was DEEP! It was snowing sideways most of the morning with few breaks in the cloud cover and brief periods of sunshine.

Lower elevation was a shit show, ground-upward warming had under cut the new snow and it was collapsing back into the skin track around brush and rocks... This made for brutal trail breaking and a hellish exit complete with core shots!!!

Upper elevation was ridiculous, but fun... I had my small board because its easy to skin, but it was slow riding due to the deepness...

Beauty

Trench Digg'n

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 pm 

BE.A.UT.I.FULL Doug. Started running, be about a month before my bodies adapted and ready to keep up with you, but looking forward to our running season. I figure in my neck of the woods running's going to be going off in April and upper mtn stuff will probably be ready May....seriously.

Kelly, so great to really meet you. I watched you come down the track and I could tell immediately this guy gets it and can shred. Guys, seriously this guy had something like 8 gorgeous women he was taking out touring, etc., and that didn't include his gorgeous wife. Hope maybe someday our wives can meet and congrats again.

Take care everyone, hit me up if you want to build a kicker or something this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:09 pm 

UTAH wrote:
Guys, seriously this guy had something like 8 gorgeous women he was taking out touring, etc.

Here we are that day... :mrgreen:

Only problem, no splitboarders! :scratch:

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:24 pm 

Thx Nic! I finally managed to capture the unicorn forest in all its glory... :D
Glad to hear you're getting after the running, I've been slacking so you'll have no problem keeping up with this old timer. Talk soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:33 am 

Utah where and when were you thinking of building a kicker at? I could be talked into hucking my carcass

I went up Tom's Hill on Monday after work. Since it is the 1 week anniversary since I broke my split I was eager to test out my new one. The new split felt really fun dropping the small rock in the middle of Tom's. I was surprisingly the first person to hit it Monday. No action photos since we got on the ridge at sunset and dropped in as it was getting dark. Fun day was had though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:34 pm 

I was kinda thinking sunshine 1/4 or this little secret zone that usually holds some good snow. Just figured we would have another nasty creust here soon. Let me know, I'm good for Sat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 pm 

This year has been an exercise in patience and restraint like no other for me. I came into the year with quite a few lines I wanted to ski on the list. Until this week exactly zero of them had been checked off, with several looking like they would have to wait until next year due to lack of snow. The big storm cycle and then dramatic warm up a couple weeks ago caused some of the south facing chutes in Little Cottonwood to avalanche 4 or 5 times over the course of 5 days. With that kind of pounding and then the week of 60+ degree weather in valley, I was hoping that persistent weak layers would henceforth be a non-issue on anything facing south. The Saturday-Monday storm came in right-side up and the word on the street seemed to be that the old-new snow bond was good and that there were no significant intra-storm weaknesses. According to UDOT Little Pine Chute had slid during the high precip rates early Sunday morning, which I was hoping would simultaneously lower the storm-snow avy danger and make travel a little easier. With bluebird forecast for Tuesday morning I was hoping to hit the sweet spot between the storm snow settling out enough to be safe and the sun baking everything during the day Tuesday. We hit the trail at arounf 6:30 am Tuesday morning, finding 4-5 inches of super-fluff from overnight. The skin to the bottom of the chute was deep, but once we got to the runout it was obvious that only a foot or so of new covered the soft debris from early sunday morning. All in all we found 1-2 feet of unconsolidated fluff in the chute, sitting on the smooth, firm debris from sunday or sun crusts from the warm-up. The new snow was totally uncohesive within itself, yet quite well bonded to the underlying snow. Thats good! After topping out we briefly took in the view, then dropped in. The turns were spectacular. My buddy forgot his goggles, and sunglasses weren't quite enough to keep the faceshots out of his eyes. Since the runout is so filled in, we were able to make unobstructed turns all the way to the road for a 3100' straight shot. Standing at the road and looking up at our tracks was a good feeling, one in short supply so far this year.

Dropping in:

Some gaper and the line:
There was no indication of any recent instability, not even any sloughing with our turns, but you still can't be sure whether you were lucky or smart. Its that pesky lack of negative feedback that curses this sport of ours. It sure was nice to ski a 3000+ foot couloir in blower, bluebird pow though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:27 am 

Mej way to get after Little Pine. I am pretty disappointed in this year as well. At least you were able to knock a line off of your list. I am hoping to but doubt I will get any of the lines I want.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 am 

^^niiiiiiiiiiice :drool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 27  Next