Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:22 pm 

mtsurfr wrote:
It is kind of tough to 'carve', mostly you end up with a controlled slide.

I will second that. It would only be an issue for those who want to truly make speed controlling carved turns (pencil track) that come across the groomer. If you want to bomb the groom, it will do that without issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:32 pm 

mtsurfr wrote:
Buell, just out of curiosity, is it not your 'choice' because you were spending your time on groomers, or did you not like the way it performed on nasty-snow ungroomed slopes? Those types of slopes were where I personally thought it was far superior to anything else i had ridden.

That is a tough question that depends on exactly what we are talking about when we say mixed snow conditions and on individual riding style. It does not surprise me that some will find the Furberg the best board they have ever ridden in most, if not all, conditions. I have a pretty bad front knee so I tend to slow down quite a bit in many types of mixed conditions. If you continue to ride hard and fast through the rougher stuff, I expect this board is exceptional.

For me, the short answer is that if I could get a 158ish, with a 12m sidecut of the Furberg design, I expect it would be my favorite mixed conditions resort board. As it is, at 145 pounds, the 162, 16m is bigger than I like in mixed resort conditions. I expect the 162 would do much better for me in BC mixed conditions and I love riding it in powder.

For all the benefits of the Furberg's design, if the snow is not deep enough, it lacks a lower speed, put the board on edge and engage the sidecut turn. This is a turn that I want sometimes in mixed conditions. Also, on inbounds mixed conditions days, I really like to bank surf where you do a big bottom turn off the groomer and hit the soft snow banks above it. To do that I need to lock the board into a carve and the Furberg's carved turn is too big.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:36 pm 

Makes sense

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:22 pm 

Is this thing a split yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:38 pm 

Snowman1 wrote:
Is this thing a split yet?

Mine is... :wink:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 pm 

Indeed, very nice. Ever get to Berthoud? Very interested in you binder setup, and info?

Think Snow!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:09 pm 

Snowman1 wrote:
Indeed, very nice. Ever get to Berthoud? Very interested in you binder setup, and info?

Think Snow!

On this board I use Dynafit Speed Ultralight toe pieces, and Burton Race Plate Mod bindings. See Sognar's thread in the bindings forum for detailed descriptions of the bindings, he made the same binding set up as mine.
pic is from Berthoud last week...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 am 

Good morning,
Here's my stats and background: 37yo, 6', 185lbs, size 11, 15+ yrs riding, some college, lift-access powder bum, 9 seasons riding Beaver Creek, 7 and counting in southern CO. I embraced the fish-style tapered boards in 2004 for their powder and quick turning capabilities. Upon moving south, I soon discovered the need for a powder quiver. My 157 Stepchild Ranquet with the Les Paul graphic was my first taper shape, and it changed my riding and board purchases for the next 6 years...Ranquet 159, Malolo 162, Rossi Jones 167 (biggest board ridden), Hovercraft 156, and Elan Wave Rider 164, all tapered. I rode the Elan (very similar tail as Furberg)for the first part of this season, and my short taper shooter days were over. I needed some tail. Then I googled around looking for unique board shapes and found you guys discussing Furberg :bow: .
February was pretty epic, and I put myself and the Furbergs through the test. The 167 was ridden the most followed closely by the 162. I finally rode the 173 for 4 hours on a bottomless, free-refills, brutally stormy day. The weather kept us in the trees with a couple short hikes to steeper, more open terrain. The 173 was a unique experience being the longest board I have ridden. The wide open turns on steeper pitches were great, but the trees not so much. I was craving a bigger mountain or shorter board. This size just didn’t feel as comfortable as the 167, too much board for me. My buddy was on my orange 167, and the 162 was in the truck. I had options, but we were having too much fun, so I waited till lunch to downsize. I wanted to ride the 167, but my buddy wasn’t going to give it up. He was definitely getting his groove on...powder wheelies and butters and constant chairlift chatter about how sick the board is. The 162 would be my afternoon ride, and we went until closing. It was a great day.
The 167 is the best board I have ridden but still the 162 follows closely. All the days on the Furbergs were powder days and day-old leftovers except yesterday. We got skunked by this last storm. It only snowed 2” on top of week old crust. I figured the 162 would be fun to try under these conditions. The ski area was having a meeting about future expansion at 2:00, so I made a few laps, went to the meeting, then rode the last hour. The Furberg will absolutely rail on groomers. I have always enjoyed carving and bombing down groomers (Beaver Creek style), but with a traditional size sidecut 7-9m, doing both at one time is not really possible. If the run allows, you can open ‘er up and do some huge radius carves. It will lock in, and you will be flying. I have gone faster, but not with that much confidence in my board.
The Furbergs are filling a big niche in my quiver. They are my quiver 162/167. I want a Furberg split but am at least waiting for the Edisons to be released. The 173 is available for demo or sale, if you are interested. The 162 and 167 are available to demo only.
Observations:
Skiers have been more inquisitive than snowboarders, especially DPS dudes. Furbergs and DPS look alike construction-wise. They may be made in the same factory?
Construction and quality seem spot on so far.
Durability is excellent. The topsheet is resistant to chipping and repels snow well. My bases have taken a few hits from rocks and one stump. The rocks left minimal scrapes. The stump was a direct hit to the center of the base while doing a heelside pow slash. It left a very shallow contusion in the base 0.5mm or less. It felt a lot worse than it was.
Powder wheelies are insane! This board may make you want to butter.
The looks of the board are really appealing to me with the clean logo and no graphics. The purple gets intense in sunlight, very bright board. One liftie told me I had a pretty board. The orange is nice, and the teal is nice also.
The shape is unique. At first, I found myself staring at my board on the lift and at home. Now the Furberg seems normal and my other boards look different.
I feel like I can ride longer on the Furbergs before my legs are done. In the past on powder days, I would be there at open and ride nonstop til 1:00 or 2:00, and I would be beat. This past month, there were 5 days where I grabbed a candy bar and kept riding until close with no lunch break. It’s gotta be the board saving me energy on catwalks and maybe the overall stoke. The shallow sidecut and rocker make for a catch-free ride on catwalks. I have found myself straightlegging and flatbottoming more which saves the legs. Plus, switch is a breeze if needed or wanted.
I am not sure what else to say that isn’t “geeked out” praise of how it rides. I am completely satisfied with Furberg boards and am glad I stumbled upon this thread. Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:14 am 

permnation wrote:
It will lock in, and you will be flying. I have gone faster, but not with that much confidence in my board.

The shallow sidecut and rocker make for a catch-free ride on catwalks.

Agree, so much faster and more stable groomers than i thought it would be.
Agree, not just on cat walk, but even on sketchy traverses, i can much further and with ease than on any other board i've ridden.
Thanks for the great review.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:28 am 

Nice review there!!
Strange how 5cm would make that of a difference? I have the 173 and it makes me think maybe I should have gotten the 167... But on the other side I am 210lbs and the 173 is the correct lenght according to Furbergs recom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 am 

Bjørgvin, I think you made the right choice based on your weight, but I felt I was too short for the 173. My preferred stance is 580mm. The ref. stance on the 162 is 580, the 167 is 590, and the 173 has no ref. marks, but I would guess it would be 600mm. I rode the 173 with a 580mm width stance which put me in the center, and it looked narrow in relation to the length of the board. This narrow of a stance on that long of a board seemed to make it flex more. It felt flexier than either of the 2 smaller sizes. I still had a great time riding the 173, but it limited my maneuverabilty and forced me to change my riding style to fit the length. By the time I rode the 173, I already had 5+ days each on the 162/167 and knew the 167 was the right size for me on powder days. I have always ridden shorter boards like the Ranquet 157 for powder days, so the 167 is a long board to me. My future purchases of new Furbergs will be determined by the ref. stance when deciding what length to get. Think snow and enjoy your ride.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:06 pm 

I am 6'1" and ~170 lbs. I ride a 21.75" stance on my 173 (DIY split) and it is perfect for me as a pow board. I am interested in a 167 as well, as a more every day backcountry splitboard (I do not ride lifts at all, at least around here). The 173 is plenty maneuverable as long as the snow has some real depth, and is also fine in choppy conditions if the terrain allows for some speed. I suspect I would love the 167 on those less than perfect days in the backcountry.
As a pow board, the extra surface area of the 173 would be my choice every time, but I am talking about real pow, not 10" of fresh lift served with a packed base underneath. In 3D snow, the furbergs rule! So much fun...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 pm 

Barrows, Come on down to Wolf Creek some time. You're welcome to ride my 167 until I start twitching from withdrawals. If you have ridden WC, then you know how a big gun may be somewhat restricting. 10" down here is just dust on crust. I was seeing 3D all of February. Take care and think snow. Nate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next