Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who's not tired of ripping skins?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 pm 

The test today went great. The board climbed perfect in powder so I got to the top fine. The sun crust was pretty tough so the swallow tail was catching but still working. I'm definitely building a board with edges all around each step when I can. I think more and lower steps are going to happen. My Flickr account won't let me in so I'll try to get a vid up soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm 

classicauto wrote:
Doesn't anyone do the roll method?

I was introduced to that method this year and its the only way I go for packing the skins for the down. And you can literally toss them back apart at the end of each lap.

I'm not suggesting long term storage like that, but it certainly does the trick for some quick yo-yos

That sounds like cheating! If you wax your skins with glop stopper does it foul the skin glue? How did you learn about this way?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:20 pm 

Here's a vid of the test. Too bad there was only patches of pow.
http://vimeo.com/38129760

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:52 pm 

Huck Pitueee wrote:
That sounds like cheating! If you wax your skins with glop stopper does it foul the skin glue? How did you learn about this way?

This is the thread that talked about it last year. The Pinch & Roll has become a method of choice.
http://www.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10378&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:53 am 

Huck Pitueee wrote:
classicauto wrote:
Doesn't anyone do the roll method?

I was introduced to that method this year and its the only way I go for packing the skins for the down. And you can literally toss them back apart at the end of each lap.

I'm not suggesting long term storage like that, but it certainly does the trick for some quick yo-yos

Fellow splitter :)

I've been waxing my skins lately and I haven't noticed any lack of grip in the glue from the roll method.

Maybe over a number of years the glue will get some deterioration from wax/mohair etc. but really, they're going to get dog hair and goose down and doobie ashes stuck in them anyways, at least this makes life sooo much easier in the meantime.
I fold for storage, just do the roll method at the change over before heading down.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 am 

WOW!! Thanks. I just sent the link to my friends. No more hanging around in 50 mph winds messing with skins.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:58 am 

Voile experimented with a fish-scale splitboard a few years back and deemed the ride performance (drag) to be not worth it. If your design works for you then to each their own but I'm really pretty confused on the whole point. Ripping skins just isn't that hard in my opinion and if it is maybe the user should look to other activities than splitboarding....and backcountry snowboarding in general?

Also, why are you carrying a board with skins on it? It seems like that would be more work than just dealing with skins in the first place.

Re snow sticking. Realize that we've had a pretty wacky year with snow conditions in Tahoe and the unseasonably warm weather that has followed the dumps we have had. New snow and warm weather = sticky snow. Just part of the deal and its usually just a day or so before the new snow sets up enough to not clump on your skins.

Not trying to be negative, just sharing my :twocents:

Long live DIY innovation. :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:22 am 

I agree ^. Call me weird but I cherish the transition time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:54 am 

The extra board was a backup incase the test was a fail. It isn't a huge effort to ripskins but 3 changes on a ridge gusting over 60mph isn't very fun. Also the other day I had to change my line in the trees by 100 feet by wading waist deep and some scales would be sweet for that. Beyond all that stuff a board without skins could be pretty light, especially wet skins.
No offense taken BC. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:26 pm 

http://vimeo.com/38662068
I got to try the skinless again today in sticky conditions. Visibility was low so I couldn't cut loose. It still climbs well but the drag going down was like 15% more than my comparison board. So at times they felt about the same and other times the skinless felt slower. The 133cm board designed for these conditions was more fun. Down side of the test is I need to make another mini board only better. If anyone has ridden a real fish surfboard, that's the way it feels.