Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tam McArthur Rim - 5 feet in three days!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:52 pm 

This past week I was able to ride some of the best snow of my life while spending 4 days at Tam McArthur Rim outside of Sisters, Oregon with a few good friends. Andrew, Andy and I left the valley early on Monday morning and met Todd in the Three Creeks snowpark at 8:30, where about a foot of snow had fallen the night before. We waited for a half hour or so before Shane and Jonas showed up with the sleds to shuttle us and our gear the six miles into the huts. After a less than snowy season thus far, our timing was perfect with a foot and a half of fresh waiting for us upon our arrival. Little did we know it was going to puke for the next two days! After getting our gear situated in the huts, we set out for some some turns, hitting some of the mellower terrain to check out conditions, etc.

The weather was perfect, and we hit a few small bowls and the trees on the first run. After some nice turns, we ventured out to the playground area where the fellas from the other yurt were riding. Here's a view of the overall area we'd be playing in for the next few days...

After a few good runs in the playground, it was time to retire to the huts for some beers and to shoot a few night photos, since the weather was clear and snow was in the forecast. Here's a shot of the huts...

I wandered out to the lake to shoot some photos of the rim while the moon and stars were out. It was damn cold on the lake, about 5 degrees, with a slight breeze that made it even chillier.

The next morning arrived and the weather was still clear, so we toured out to check the conditions in the bigger bowls to the west of the huts. Things were looking quite stable, and we set a track up to the prow and were able to make some super sweet turns in the bowls. Here's a shot of Todd upon reaching the base of the prow...

The snow in the bowls was nothing less than sweet, and ranks up there with the best snow I've ever ridden in my life. Here's a few shots...

We toured in the bowls until about noon, when the storm moved in. It started to snow, and didn't stop for the next two days, dropping four to five more feet on top of what had fallen the day before! We celebrated that night with a dinner of fresh salmon cooked over the wood stove and the best fisherman's stew I've ever eaten, followed by beers and whiskey. The next day was nothing less than epic, with temps around 14 degrees and snow falling all day. We toured in the trees and smaller bowls above the huts due to avy danger and low visibility in the bigger bowls. Nothing but white room all day long...

Here's a shot Andy getting in on the action in his first ever backcountry outing away from a closed ski area....

That night we celebrated with beers and whiskey, followed by relaxing in the small wood fired sauna. I took a few shots in the huts with my tripod, and kinda liked this one of the hut reflecting in my goggles...

When I awoke the next morning, another two feet had fallen. Heading out for one last run before out departure, I was solo since everyone else was taxed from the past few days. Trailbreaking was ridiculous - definitely the most snow I've ever skinned in. The turns down on this run were less than epic though, just due to too much pow. A hour or so later, I was down at the huts and we packed up our gear, while starting to worry if Shane would actually be able to get in with the sleds to get us out. As usual though, Shane made it in, but admitted it was the deepest snow he's ever snomo'd through in his life! The ride out was through blower pow and about 20 minutes later, we were back in the parking lot having enjoyed a trip that will go down as one I'll not soon forget. Here's a parting shot of the Rim moments before we left.....the sun finally came out and after about 60 inches, it appeared to be through snowing!

www.splitboardoregon.com

Post subject: Re: Tam McArthur Rim - 5 feet in three days!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:04 am 

Wow! Congrats ...we just got some weather! Im hopefully going to go camp soon here. I hiked castle peak yesterday in Donner pass out of truckee ca ! Proud to say i was 1 of 3 people up there.
I am planning a trip next year to crater lake ...you have any feed back on the area!
Keep earning your turning! Lilnicky!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:05 am 

Sick Matt!

Does look like some great snow. Yurt looky pretty cozy too.

Leaving out some key details though. You didn't say what kind of whiskey. I am hoping it was a good variety.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:48 am 

lilnicky79 wrote:
I am planning a trip next year to crater lake ...you have any feed back on the area!

There's some fun stuff on Garfield and Applegate Peaks on the south side of the Rim, though it depends on the time of year - winter is generally best for these. Mt Scott is a fun objective later in the spring when the road opens.

ale_capone wrote:
Leaving out some key details though. You didn't say what kind of whiskey. I am hoping it was a good variety.

Nothing special, just some Jack, along with some Kettle One vodka that I neglected to mention....

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 pm 

yeah man you got the goods!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:21 pm 

Rippin'......that picture is sick