Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: split a 2003-2005 winterstick swallowtail?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:05 pm 

hey there all,

I just picked up a winterstick swallowtail and am going to be splitting it in a few days... I am wondering if anyone has tried this yet or if anyone has any suggestions for a first time spliter.

cheers,
ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:09 pm 

I've always wondered about splitting a WS ST. Would a 130 mm skin be wide enough at the nose for enough traction. I would think so, since you mostly would be in lower angle, soft snow conditions.

I would also look at where you'll be putting the tail clip and make sure there are no issues with that.

Do it.

Post subject: just about ready....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:48 pm 

what do you mean powderjunkie about where I will be placing the tail clip?

I will be using the board for the alpine skiing portion of an adventure guiding program that I am currently taking in Gaspe... not yet sure exactly what the general snow conditions will be like I am hoping to hit as much powder as possible though :)

I will be attempting the split in a couple of days, still got a few things to get together before I start the process....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:27 pm 

Ben,
I don't have experience with splitting or mounting kits.
But from seeing other split swallowtail and looking at this pic below,
it looks like your chinese hook and tail clip would be really close together. I have heard from DIY swallow splitters that you can sometimes get away without a tail clip.

Also, there may be an issue as to where you mount the touring brackets. Because the nose is sooo long, you may have to mount the brackets where the front binding/slider plate is. I guess you'd have to figure out the balance point for the board. Hopefully others will chime in with direct experience.

I'd be absolutely sure it will work before splitting such a beauty of a board.

Post subject: almost split or saughter time...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:09 am 

thanks for your help powderjunkie :)

I will be gathering the last of the tools tomarrow morning and the afternoon is set for the big plunge...

I picked the board up quite cheap as an alternative to splitting my (at the time expensive and quite dear) 1994 Burton Hakkon air...

I agree that it will be a shame to wreck such a pretty board, especially before having a chance to ride it :( (mine is the same shape but has a differnet color scheme)

if anyone out there has any do or don't info now's the time ;)
don't be shy all comments are welcome and very much appreciated!

once again cheers powderjunkie,
ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:39 pm 

Give the guys at winterstick a buzz. info@winterstick.com or you can get their number from their site. I know for a fact that some of their riders have split-swallowtails and I've seen some pics last year. They should be able to give you some insight on splitting a swally and how their attempts worked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:09 pm 

please log your experience & pics in the DIY thread for posterity:

http://www.splitboard.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=176

oh man, that Stickis sooooooooo sweet, i wish i could send you another board (any other!) to cut instead :? Good luck!

Post subject: mission accomplished...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:18 am 

well the deed is done the board is now two and all hardware has been mounted...

a few issues here and there along the way but the board looks pretty good although I'm not convinced of the solidity of the front end as there is quite a gap between the front chinese hooks and the nose clip.... I may have to purchase another set of chinese hooks and mount it in there to make it sturdier. one of my issues was when I drilled my holes for the nose clip they ended up a little too far apart and I spent a good hour slowly carving and filing the clip down so that it would close :( anyways, what is done is done and i'm mostly pleased with the outcome. next time it will all go just a bit smoother.

all will be seen when I get a chance to test er out this season.

the board's width up front makes for an interesting pair of skis...

I will post photos etc once I get back to Gaspe, possibly early next week although I have three days of trekking to pack for when I arrive so it may have to wait until the following weekend. (I am in BC and am using my brother's dialup connection so posting photos etc here isn't realistic)

my final issue was the bolts for the climbing bar dealeo's were way way to short... like 1/4 inch too short. I ended up buying some 3/4 inch ones and while at it I decided to purchase extras and t-nuts for the puck mounts... I now have 8 t-nuts and bolts holding on the rear pucks and 6 t-nuts and bolts and 2 binding bolts (magically two holes lined up) on the front pucks.

more likely than not overkill but like I said what's done is done.... couldn't bring myself to use those wood screws..

what have people been using to fill in the gaps on the bottom side of the board where t-nuts are mounted? I am wondering if I should just fill em with wax or if I should epoxy them before hand...

---->> digdug -> when I purchased mine there was another one (although both have a different colour and graphic scheme than the one posted) if you are interested I can try to get back out to the shop and see if it is still around (the shop is an hour's drive from Gaspe and I don't have a vehicle so it will involve some barganing for a lift or the use of a car)...

let me know and I'll look into it.

cheers,
ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:18 am 

Glad it worked out Ben. Hope I didn't come off as a skeptic or critic. Post a pic when you can. We'd love to see a pic of the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:24 am 

Ben,

In answer to your question about leveling out the T nut with the base of the DIY splitboard, I used black Bondo epoxy and sanded it flush with the base. I suppose wax would do it too, but that would gouge more easily. The important thing is to protect the wood core from infiltratons. Some of the Bondo in mine has chippped from the (east coast) rock shots, but it's held up fairly well.

Steve

Post subject: final comments
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:27 am 

hey there all,
sorry it`s been a while.

my computer is in the shop (has been for a month already) so I am still as yet unable to post pics etc.... but i thought I would write in with some comments as to how the split went and how my first few trial runs have gone.

so the split went pretty decently, for my first time anyways.

when I cut into the tip with a split disc I was aiming at cutting through all of the metal edging to avoid blowing out the tip at the end of my circular saw cut... unforchunately I guess I didn`t quite line it up properly because I ended up blowing out one half of the tip edging anyways... I repaired this with some two part plumbers wet dry epoxy plastercine type stuff which is the same stuff that I ended up plugging the holes for the t-nuts with.

other than that the split went supper well.

now after spending two days skiing up the local mountain and boarding down and one day boarding full time using the t-bar lift my board looks like it has been through a full season of heavy use :(

chalk it up to my inexperience I guess but I have cut up the rear of the board with the edges of each ski while in class practicing snow plowing on ice with a large group of teli and alpine skiers... I have determined that the winterstick shape definitely is not an icy conditions board... while it works for some things the edges just don`t grab enough in ski mode for snow plowing or hockey stops and carving is a no no as well... in snowbaord mode it works well enough for basic carving but moguls etc. in ice is just asking for trouble and I have the bruses to prove it.

anyways, my repair on the tip blew out in the ice and nees to be newly repaired as well as I ended up chipping out sections of the top laminate on each tail, and somehow I ended up loosing 4 of my epoxy plugs... perhaps due to a combination of the cold temperatures and icy conditions.

I will post photos etc. as soon as I am able.

cheers all,
ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 pm 

sorry to hear about the rough awakening for your split Ben :(

would suggest when you get it tuned back up and all back together that your save this board for Big Powder Days. that's what those things are all about, you'll likely still be amazed using it then. 8)

good luck!