Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 pm 

Thanx for the review!
Looks like we are getting close to 100cm of fresh snow sat-monday. And guess whos coming home monday evening for 3 weeks off work? :headbang: :guinness:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 pm 

This board has me very intrigued. If there was a split version I would buy one. Hopefully with enough interest in it Furberg will produce some.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm 

zerodog wrote:
This board has me very intrigued. If there was a split version I would buy one. Hopefully with enough interest in it Furberg will produce some.

This is what Daniel wrote me a few weeks ago:

"We are working on splitboards. Hopefully they will be ready for sale before next season."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:58 pm 

Mine has been sitting in customs for the last few days... :banghead: HURRY UP US CUSTOMS!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:11 pm 

Hope you get it soon!
Mine just got paired with some Rome Arsenals!
Just got 60cm snow and powder forecast says 89cm to come in the next 3 days. To bad its avalanche condition 4 out of 5 here now....
Did you get the 173? I`ve never ridden a board that long before. But by the weight specs it should suit med fine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:22 pm 

Bjørgvin wrote:
Hope you get it soon! Mine just got paired with some Rome Arsenals! Just got 60cm snow and powder forecast says 89cm to come in the next 3 days. To bad its avalanche condition 4 out of 5 here now.... Did you get the 173? I`ve never ridden a board that long before. But by the weight specs it should suit med fine.

ME TOO! After almost a week, it has finally cleared US customs,,, so there is a chance (although small) that itll make it here this weekend!!! We also have been getting good snow, with more on the way :D but we also have scary avi conditions. I did get the 173, that is the size Daniel recommended. I've also never ridden anything that long. The longest so far is my Solution 168,,, but ive also never ridden a board with a sidecut radius anywhere near this length, and ive never ridden a board without at lease some camber... so this whole experience will be new and interesting to say the least... but im super stoked to get it. Have you gotten any time on yours? If so, how are you liking it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 am 

Tomorrow! Going to a resort for some safe powder lines. Cant wait! :bananas:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 pm 

Got a few turns in on the new furberg 173 DIY Dynasplit today. Unfortunately, the wind blew away most of the snow. The ride was as expected, super fun in all kinds of soft snow: pow, wind affected pow, pow with crust, etc. Stability is very high, and the board allows a lot of freedom to make any kind of turn, it encourages both carved round turns, and smears, and every combination of the two, while remaining very well mannered and easy to control. The only weakness would be at very slow speeds, in very tight trees, where a smaller fish style board has the advantage of being easy to steer from the tail. Once you get moving though, the board comes alive and is very agile.
The furberg floats and planes really well, and can carry speed through flatter areas (of soft snow) much better than any other board of my experience. I am very, very happy-and this board will be my go to ride anytime I am expecting good winter riding conditions.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:07 am 

mtsurfr wrote:
So far, I have had 2 full days riding this board at a resort with some great side country terrain and (finally!!!) plenty of pow. I was able to ride it in just about every condition (icy spots, hard and chopped ungroomed trails, groomers, all the way to waist deep pow) during that 2 days. In all conditions and slopes, except groomers this board was amazing.

In the deep stuff, obviously, it killed everything I pointed it at. Just one look at this thing and you know it will be a phenom in pow. Floats better than anything ive ever ridden, carries speed through the flats, smooth turns, stable at high speed, just put a huge smile on my face. Not much else to say about that.

Everything else I have to say about this board is specific to less than ideal conditions. I was pleasantly surprised at how great this board performs in chopped, crappy, and icy conditions. Held an edge on icy steeps like it was a freakin hockey skate. Smoothest turns in bumpy snow ever! I have never been able to slide or carve through turns going that fast in those conditions and still felt in control. I never realized how ‘grabby’ other boards are when your sliding/smearing through your turns until I rode this baby. Another unexpected surprise was how well it traversed. I was able to make it quite a bit further out into a bowl on a traverse I normally take. I wasn’t sure if it would have any pop at all, but it does, a very smooth, subtle pop. This is the longest board I’ve ever ridden, but it feels way shorter than 173. The ride feels much shorter than my Solution 168 for sure, especially at slower speeds. It was incredibly easy to handle in tight situations. Even in those damn moguls, it wasn’t any worse than any other snowboard ive ever ridden. Its by far my favorite board ive ever ridden, I can’t say enough good about it.

My biggest complaint; the color… TEAL! Are you frickin kidding me, were they going for the 80’s Trapper Keeper look :x Riding this board, I’m kind of worried the local bullies are gonna try to beat me up and take my lunch money. Good thing they won’t be able to keep up with me now :D

This is NOT a do-it-all stick, but it’s a champ at everything I want in a board. Two days was not nearly enough, I can’t wait for more!

Just wanted to have this review in this thread. Hope you don't mind.

Since this Utah powder year has been so poor, I have had my Furberg out in less than ideal conditions. While it is not my go to board for those conditions at the moment, I have also been pleasantly surprised at how well it handles mixed conditions of many types. Waiting for powder!

Funny, topsheet taste is in the eye of the beholder. I like solid color topsheets and I would love to have the teal of the 173. My 162 is purple which, thankfully, looks a lot better than I expected.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:28 pm 

Nice. Thanks for the review. So, not so hot on the groomers? How come? It seems like it would rail. I was wondering how it would do on the icy moguls on the way to the BC gate. Placing my order today. Stoked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:21 pm 

buell wrote:
Since this Utah powder year has been so poor, I have had my Furberg out in less than ideal conditions. While it is not my go to board for those conditions at the moment, I have also been pleasantly surprised at how well it handles mixed conditions of many types. Waiting for powder!

Funny, topsheet taste is in the eye of the beholder. I like solid color topsheets and I would love to have the teal of the 173. My 162 is purple which, thankfully, looks a lot better than I expected.

Buell, just out of curiosity, is it not your 'choice' because you were spending your time on groomers, or did you not like the way it performed on nasty-snow ungroomed slopes? Those types of slopes were where I personally thought it was far superior to anything else i had ridden.

As for the color,,, really, its a small/non issue. That board is so effing awesome, it could be light pink and blue with a pic of a lavender colored, magical unicorn singing on stage with the Jonas bros and Selena Gomez :nononno: ,,, and i still would ride it.

powslash wrote:
Nice. Thanks for the review. So, not so hot on the groomers? How come? I was wondering how it would do on the icy moguls on the way to the BC gate. Placing my order today. Stoked.

Powslash, I thought it did fine on the groomers, it just wouldn't be my choice if i was headed out for a day just on grooms with some inexperienced friends. It is kind of tough to 'carve', mostly you end up with a controlled slide. I can't really explain it, but it felt VERY controlled and stable. I was still able to haul ass on the groomers actually, it was very very fast and stable. I spend some time getting around big moguls and the board did as well as any other. Because of the rocker, it is SOOO easy to turn quickly, even when going slow IMO, i had no problem getting through them, maybe even easier than before because this board never 'grabbed', just nicely slides where you want it to go.

Truthfully, i can't really put into words how this board rides, because it was quite different from anything else i have ever ridden (although it is extremely natural). I really only ride on the groomers to get to the other stuff (bigger lines/bc/pow/trees), and then to get back to the bar :guinness: . For that purpose, imho, this board was perfect for me, and i dont see myself riding anything else for a long time. I, I love it like a love song baby, and i keep hittin re-peat-peat-peat-peat-peat :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:47 pm 

Anyone looking for a board to "best" in every imaginable type of condition is dreaming. The furberg is clearly designed to excel (and be better than anything else) in off piste conditions, where the snow is wild. This does not mean it cannot get around on groomers on the way to something else-it just means you are not going to be ripping groomers like you would on a freecarving or boarderX board with camber.
I would not suggest that the furberg is a pow only board (as a reverse/reverse board like the new Venture Euphoris is), I am only suggesting that it is designed to excel in all kinds of off piste snow types: wind affected pow, old pow, dust on crust, icy entrances, debris filled runouts at speed, weird crusts, etc.
Certainly if one is looking for something to go carving on groomers, a different board is in order. On the other hand, if one is looking to achieve a new level of performance and expression in riding pow and other off piste conditions, I would not hesitate in saying the furberg is the best option.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 pm 

mtsurfr wrote:
It is kind of tough to 'carve', mostly you end up with a controlled slide. I can't really explain it, but it felt VERY controlled and stable. I was still able to haul ass on the groomers actually, it was very very fast and stable.

Perfect. Got it. Just wanted to be sure it could get around the resort without too much fear and loathing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 319 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next