Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:20 pm 

keffler wrote:

Nice Mullet! Have been debating taking a saw to mine...

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:42 am 

96avs01 wrote:

Nice Mullet! Have been debating taking a saw to mine...

Thanks 96avs01. I've been growing it out just for winter, :lol: It's been a good board. LibTechs make great DIY splits. However, looking forward to a getting a rockered split.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:07 pm 

hey... a little off topic, but are those karakorum plates on your board keffler? how do you use those with hardboots?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:11 pm 

Nope, not from the brothers, but a little side project.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:02 pm 

Keff, what bindings are you using, DIY?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:11 pm 

spill the beans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:35 pm 

My goal was to create a binding ground up for hardboots (specifically around my TLT5 29 shell size). I didn't really care if other could use it as I'm a selfish bastard and just wanted something for myself. Right now, I'm about 0.5" off the deck, weight is nearly the same as the voile slider pucks and Barrows mod Burton plate system. I've got three days on it and it seems to work really well. With the Edison bindings coming out along with the Ranger bindings seems like the market is getting crowded. My prototype cost about $560 and I doubt other people would want to pay that for an experimental setup.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:27 pm 

I've been on two tours with these things so far and I love them. I still need to mod the lean bar just a little but my god they are so much better than any other boot i've been in.

question- is anyone else getting pain under their heels? it's almost like I can feel the climbing wire through the boot sole and it is creating some pain on the underside of my heels?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:21 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
question- is anyone else getting pain under their heels? it's almost like I can feel the climbing wire through the boot sole and it is creating some pain on the underside of my heels?

The first day out, I left my boots stock including the foot bed. My feet were a little sore so I picked up some foot beds and a local shop helped me take up some volume with those foot bed shims (or whatever they are called). This has really helped and no over all aching pain.

I'm new to hard boot and never owned any before and I guess nobody keeps the factory foot beds so maybe you have already done this, but just passing along what worked for me so far.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:01 am 

Got over 13k of tree riding last weekend. I modified the forward lean (slotted the aluminum stop up to the middle of the rivet) and this really helped. Feels much more like a snowboard soft boot then a ski boot.

I was really missing Flora Park and last weekend was great! Feel much better and ready for some San Juan Split time!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:02 pm 

13k is getting up there!!! There are alot of variables that are factored in when talking how much vertical you can get in a day.How many hours did that takes
I'm wondering whats the max people get with different setups?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:30 pm 

I cheated a bit. 13k in three days (Fri,Sat,Sun) and was able to hitch hike back to the parking lot. From there, it's just about a 300 ft skin to the top of the trees then down 800 ft. This is the best I can do for getting lots of vert in since I don't have a pass to ride lifts. I was trying to get lots of time in on my setup before heading down to the San Juans.

By Sunday, I was really feeling at home once again in the trees and on hard boots. It has been nice riding the same terrain I rode all last year on my Karakorums but now with hard boots as a comparison of performance and feel.

I'm sure everyone will have different experiences with hard boots, but I've been pleasantly surprised by them so far. I'll add too that this is my first pair of hard boots. Prior to this, I've only ridden soft boots on snowboard.

Booting up couliors and long tours last spring just made me want to switch so I jumped in and have been hoping hard boots would work all season long, ie I'd like riding them even if it was just a powder day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:32 am 

My TLT4 Pros are on their last legs...soles are coming off, rivet holes are elongating, even my newer Intuition liners are wearing through...

I tried on a pair of TLT5 MTNs the other week. Holy crap, in walk mode they do feel like sneakers...but they just felt really tight over the top of the foot. The liners are so thin - how much difference is a thermal molding going to make on these? And more importantly, given the thickness (or thinness) of the liner, how warm are these puppies?

Any thoughts and/or insights are much appreciated...I've been eyeing up new Dynafit boots for a while...but at the same time, not sure if I should wait to see what Garmont comes out with in the fall...

Thanks, Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next