Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: No pucks, locking splitboard plate binding
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 am 

another hardbooter in support of binding research and development.
also: with Rainier in my backyard, crampon compatibility is a consideration for me.
stoked to see some garage-fresh pics!

related topic: splitboard specific hardboots...
hardboot setups aren't necessarily any lighter overall, but the weight on your back is less when carrying, because the boots take on more of the structure and weight. i would love to see work on splitboard specific hardboots. harder to build from scratch in the garage, i know, but i keep imagining a boot that weighs as little as a rando race boot, but has optimized stiffness and flex characteristics for a board, as well automatic crampon compatibility... any work in this area i should know about?
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm 

hardbooters, talk to ChrisNZ about bails.....

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12707&start=13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:06 pm 

Whistlermaverick Said:
Quote:
Screw the voile style puck.
Something that fix's to the board(Karakoram/Edison style).
All it needs to do is fit the split hole pattern, after that it's up to your imagination.
Then a thin plate that locks on to it. Bails adjustable(??) and integrated in to the plate. Boot sitting as close as possible, if not on the plate.

If I get an AT boot I don't want the bottom of it to be 1.5 inches off my board, it's sole is high enough already.
I want to be close to my board, I don't like being high off it.

First; l say I really like the Voile puck design for it simple durable design (no extra parts to lose or break, such as the over-engineered Atomic Poacher), but the Spark R&D Edison binding interface appears to solve some issue:
1) Allows to use existing holes in a solid and DIY board binding pattern.

[I wonder if the Edision interface is going to allow for more crossover of snowboards manufactures to splitboard manufacturers, because they will not have retool to use the Voile puck interface?]
2) Lower profile height binding to the board.
3) Does the Edison interface make the board more rigid, cam-lock the binding to the interface?
4) Wide variety of binding angles???

Therefore: I would like to see a narrower TI-Vapor style plate binding ( http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11248 ), which uses the Bomber bails, Instead of a channel for pucks, just create a U-shape plate binding, so the Bombers bails can be attached and provide some rigidity. This would interface with the Edison interface.

Because, I use Dynafit toes pieces, I do not need the Edison touring bracket latch and touring bracket, just a simple cam lever or pin to lock in place plate binding into the Edison interface, will do..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 pm 

Powder_Rider wrote:
Whistlermaverick Said:
Quote:
Screw the voile style puck.
Something that fix's to the board(Karakoram/Edison style).
All it needs to do is fit the split hole pattern, after that it's up to your imagination.
Then a thin plate that locks on to it. Bails adjustable(??) and integrated in to the plate. Boot sitting as close as possible, if not on the plate.

If I get an AT boot I don't want the bottom of it to be 1.5 inches off my board, it's sole is high enough already.
I want to be close to my board, I don't like being high off it.

First; l say I really like the Voile puck design for it simple durable design (no extra parts to lose or break, such as the over-engineered Atomic Poacher), but the Spark R&D Edison binding interface appears to solve some issue:
1) Allows to use existing holes in a solid and DIY board binding pattern.

[I wonder if the Edision interface is going to allow for more crossover of snowboards manufactures to splitboard manufacturers, because they will not have retool to use the Voile puck interface?]
2) Lower profile height binding to the board.
3) Does the Edison interface make the board more rigid, cam-lock the binding to the interface?
4) Wide variety of binding angles???

Therefore: I would like to see a narrower TI-Vapor style plate binding ( http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11248 ), which uses the Bomber bails, Instead of a channel for pucks, just create a U-shape plate binding, so the Bombers bails can be attached and provide some rigidity. This would interface with the Edison interface.

Because, I use Dynafit toes pieces, I do not need the Edison touring bracket latch and touring bracket, just a simple cam lever or pin to lock in place plate binding into the Edison interface, will do..

I was thinking along these lines too

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:31 pm 

Food for thought

The Edison system will be OK for solid boards / Factory splits that you want to use your Sparks on.
For DIY im not sure :scratch:
Just remember when cutting the board in two, the distance between the factory inserts will be less, even with a water jet there is missing material from the cut.
Although I havent seen the mounting plates I would imagine that the holes would have a fixed spacing(that spacing is a std for all 4 hole binding mounts)

I imagine the plates would move around under the the loads exerted on the board while riding (if there is some micro adjustment) and become floppy :thumbsdown:

Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes the factory inserts aren't in the exact centre of the board, meaning if you use them your binding would not be centred.
You would have more or less toe /heel side error in alignment.

Not trying to put a downer on this.

Any other thoughts on this?

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 pm 

firstlight wrote:
Food for thought

The Edison system will be OK for solid boards / Factory splits that you want to use your Sparks on.
Just remember when cutting the board in two, the distance between the factory inserts will be less, even with a water jet there is missing material from the cut.
Although I havent seen the mounting plates I would imagine that the holes would have a fixed spacing(that spacing is a std for all 4 hole binding mounts)

I imagine the plates would move around under the the loads exerted on the board while riding (if there is some micro adjustment) and become floppy :thumbsdown:

Another thing I have noticed is that sometimes the factory inserts aren't in the exact centre of the board, meaning if you use them your binding would not be centred.

i thought this too, but if you look close the holes are sloted to fix this problem i guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 am 

firstlight wrote:
Food for thought

Adam: these are valid concerns, but I suspect all will be addressed by Spark. The Edison proto shown at SIA had slots for the screw holes in the baseplate, allowing for adjustability, and compensation for DIY boards and off center holes, etc. I share your concern that these slots might allow for some shifting of the baseplate. Shifting like this can be pretty easily avoided by the use of friction paste (bike shops have this) between the mounting plate and board topsheet, shift like this is much less likely with an aluminum plate (which will have much higher friction to the board topsheet) than a plastic puck. Personally, for a DIY setup, with the design shown, I would get it all set up perfectly, then add a ski screw or two through the outer holes in addition to the machine screws in the inserts. Right now I stop Voile Universal Puck shift by adding a single ski screw, this stiffens the pucks and stops all shifting.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:28 pm 

for as much smack as ive talked on hardboots...id be in the market.

if you cant understand something then its best to be afraid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 pm 

I'd be much more interested in hardboots if there was some foot roll built into the binding. I know ankle flex can be addressed with some boot mods but I like the way a soft boot and plastic binding allows for some forgiveness along the length of the board when riding.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:42 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
I'd be much more interested in hardboots if there was some foot roll built into the binding. I know ankle flex can be addressed with some boot mods but I like the way a soft boot and plastic binding allows for some forgiveness along the length of the board when riding.

have you seen bomber's splitboard binding?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm 

christoph benells wrote:
have you seen bomber's splitboard binding?

I thought so but maybe not, I'll look again.

*edit*
The sidewinder looks like what it will take to get me to try hardboots, now if I can pick up a set of TLT5s on spring clearance maybe it will happen...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

Yep, the Bomber Sidewinder design allows for some moderate lateral movement in the binding---good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 pm 

This looks interesting, "bulldogs"? skiboard to snowboard conversion binder, definite possibility
I can't seem to embed here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef7kUGK35j4&feature=related
Apparently out of business
It shouldn't take much to give this a tour mode but dynafit would be better

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next