Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to build a splitboard WITHOUT a Voile splitkit reloaded
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:45 pm 

I seriously started thinking about splitting last season when in late march my ski buddies took off on their skis and skins and left me fighting with the deepest of last year's snow on my own.

I knew that snow shoes were just not good enough and you had to carry your board on the back pack.

Last November I started putting some ideas on paper and and sure spent some time on splitboard.com forums. I wanted to do it all myself and not use anything the split board market offers.

I initially wanted to go with the rail system but it seemed too much trouble getting those done. Meanwhile i was ebaying for some older Ride bindings. the new ones have to many holes in them to let you attach the rails. also managed to get my hands on a board worth splitting.

On my mind the hole time was that whatever i chose to do it must involve carbon fiber. Tons of fresh pow came this January and i was still struggling to keep up with my skier friends with some borrowed plastic snowshoes. this was good because i got to ride the board i was gonna split an settle for a good stance. also it motivated me to finally go splittee. Recent research got me to Ieism's topic http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12539. be sure to read as very useful info is to be found there. One of the original ideas i had was to make round pucks like that but with 8 teeth not 4 like his. Seeing his carbon pucks got me reconsidering this idea. Soon enough i managed to obtain 2 big carbon boards 6.5 mm thick from a factory in town. drawing the parts in cad was an easy thing to do. even easier was watching the water jet machine cutting all the parts.
I had a sacrifice board to cut first to see what happens but decided to save it since is a 150 and has reverse chamber from just sitting around i guess. I thought it would make a sweet no board some day.

So i had to sacrifice something and that was my friend's old ski. where else was i going to get the edges for my board. I wanted to get some professional help with the sawing but found out the water jet machine was not big enough to cut my 165 Salomon. and all the other options were going to eat up between 3- 4 mm out of the board. 2 mm was the limit i was going to accept. The swiss knife was in that range with 1.7mm perfect cut. I ended up building a small saw whit a blade that was just 1mm thick. The longest cut in the sacrifice ski is made with that and the second longest one with the swiss knife.Image

Here we go! cutting the board by hand sure feels good :headbang:

Almost done!

The cut was not perfect but good enough.

Some of the ideas along the way included MTB V-brakes for the touring brakets:

Not bad considering they were designed to do the same thing on a bike. and already light weight :thumpsup:
But in the end i decided to cut these small parts out of 20 mm aluminum.

Pucks with 3 mm thick aluminum spacers( same as the base of the binding)

Hooks

Tip and tail

To insert the inside edge a small incision has to be done right above the base of the board right into the fiberglass layer. The dust produced felt like i wasn't wearing enough protection.

Epoxy in a syringe seemed to help when it was time for the edge to be inserted. I had to do both edges quickly before the epoxy would cure.

I laid down the board halves like that and pressed one against each other in order to get them to fit when dried out!

the next morning the 2 skis matched together. it looked like new from a distance. Image

But not so perfect in detail :scratch:

However 2 hours of hand sanding got them looking way better. I planned to also attach some ABS side walls but it seems everybody else here only epoxies the wood. so i applied 3 layers of resin so far and it looks like it seals the wood well enough. so dropped the ABS thing but did went for the inside edges. This is what I've done so far but will be working on the hardwear tomorrow. It seems like I need to drill 2 million holes to get it done. I haven't seen snow like this for many years now and I'm not going to miss it.

I thought I'd share my experience here as a way of getting something back to the contributors of this forum. also hope for some good feedback as work progresses.

Go here if you want to see more: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56298361@N05/

Post subject: Re: How to build a splitboard WITHOUT a Voile splitkit reloaded
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:00 am 

should look good when finished and hopefully strong enough

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 am 

Nice one.

How will you make the angles of the bindings adjustable?
That's the only thing I am stuck with at the moment with my little sketches and cardboard cut outs...

I better get started with the idea's stuck in my head...before someone else makes the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:12 am 

your splithooks look nice - but the make troubel at ice condition. the littel v cut is the problem.

burton

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:09 pm 

:clap: I like it man! I really wanted other people to benefit from my design and learn from my mistakes, so I'm happy so many people here are on the same page.

I'm still waiting on the Spark pins to finish the touring mode, so you're now one step ahead of me.

Furberg 167 Split with Afterburners
Furberg 162 Split with Magnetos
Prior 165 Backcountry XTC Split
Libtech Dark Series DIY Split with DIY binders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:14 pm 

Jarno,
I'm nut sure i need to make the angels adjustable. i ride 15 front and 5 at the back. maybe oldschool but that's how I've always been comfortable. it would be nice to have them adjustable though! if anybody comes up with something simple, let us know!

burton,
you might be right about the ice building up on the hooks. same thing goes for the pucks. I'm experimenting and will be some more when I get this thing on the snow. however i always carry the swiss knife with me so now more than ever will be a useful tool with these split problems emerging. let's keep in mind that ice build up is a problem for all the systems out there. but what do I know I've never been splitboarding

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 pm 

thanx ieism dude. u rock! glad u read my post and hope u don't mind i reloaded your idea. it will be really cool if we could share some thoughts and get this thing to work properly before all the snow melts. I was going to ask you some questions anyways so here it is:
have you ridden the board splitted yet? does it feel like the 4 screws on each binding are enough to hold it together? I have in mind 2 additional screws on each binding. one on each ski. those will need a pathway cut into the binding base so you can still spin it the necessary 45 degree.
Do you have a solution for the risers? I have something going in that direction and hope to get it done and post it later on!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:47 pm 

I've ridden it very short on an indoor slope only, and in ride mode only. But the board is splitted and felt pretty rigid to me. I'm a few hundred miles from the nearest real mountain and don't have much time to test it these days. It seems strong enough for me, I didn't break it at least.

To keep it from rotating too far it hits two stops mounted to the board. One stop on the toeside, and on on the heelside in oposite corners. They are kinda like an L-shape that the binding slides under to keep it down on the board at two more points.

This was not a final design because the front of the binding doesn't have any mounting for the touring bracket yet anyway. It was just to test it for strenght. My final design will probably be fixed in place by the touring pin in the front by a single bracket, and will have a rotating cam on the heel that grabs the base of the binding.

Keep at it, I don't mind you using the idea at all. Two know more than one.

Furberg 167 Split with Afterburners
Furberg 162 Split with Magnetos
Prior 165 Backcountry XTC Split
Libtech Dark Series DIY Split with DIY binders

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:19 pm 

Looks nice! It's all about learning and enjoying the finished product.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:48 pm 

The brackets are bolted to the binding with 3 screws each. This makes it feel like it's part of the binding

Ready for mounting on the board
The lever of the pin goes right under the boot and will prevent losing it in the snow. I didn't planed this but some things tend to work themselves out. :disco: Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:35 am 

WOW!

Thats some really nice work!!

I'd just adjust the bindings as bis as possible, they look a bit small to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:28 am 

You are the man, You cut that board with a swiss army knife! :headbang: I never knew Macgyver was a splitboarder. And the interface....Stoked on this build cant wait to see more

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 am 

the tourinbracketblocks need more distance - the must stay on the outside, inside it is toomuch sidepower. look at the simpel thinks, a housedoor.

burton