Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Are K-clips worth the $50
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:30 am 

just checking back in to say I love them snaps!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:18 am 

The clips are great!
They worked well on my mojo.
I have since acquired a storm and that's even better. I have taken her to the resort and she feels like a solid board!
I flip the loop back on itself and give a little push with my pole and it stays in place and doesn't make noise going up. SOLID!

Jones Hovercraft 60
Supermodel 73
Dynafit TLT5 Mtn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:44 am 

Mine were crazy tight to open and close when I first got them. Some here suggested widening the mounting holes slightly to loosen them up, but I just used them for a few weeks and through settling and wear they relaxed a little. If yours are very hard to operate because they are tight, you may want to use them for a while before reaching for the drill.

My bails do flop around when skinning. In soft snow it has not been a problem, but on hard days the clacking could get annoying.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 pm 

barrows wrote:
Update:

For all you Karakoram lovers out there, I am going to eat my words! In order to satisfy my continuing curiosity, I picked up a set of "K" clips, and am testing them on my Venture. So far so good. Perhaps the mount on my friend's board was not perfect, but, whatever the case... I take my former opinion, and state for the record I do like the "K" clips for ride more performance.
I do worry about how they flip outwards while touring, this causes extra drag, but the real problem could be skinning in low tide areas, a rock could bust these pretty easily. Does anyone have a good trick for keeping them out of the way? Perhaps a small piece of elastic cord? I think "K" should really add a small spring (as is used on boot buckles) to keep the levers flipped over.

+1 for a spring to hold them back :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 pm 

[qoute] +1 for a spring to hold them back :thumpsup:[/quote]

from Chimera's FB:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 pm 

jerrett wrote:
from Chimera's FB...

That isn't a bail retainer, it's just a K clip with a cord toggle on the lever to make the lever easier to pull up.

The K clips on my Prior are pretty tight and don't really flop around when touring. The parts just have enough friction that they don't move easily on their own. Today I tried a Jones Solution and MAN the K clips on that thing are ANNOYING. Clack-Clack-Clack. :nononno: I need to figure something out. The dipschitts at Jones also put the holes too close to the board's edge so when you close the K clips, the board halves aren't really pulled together and there is almost no tension on the clips. Duh. I wrapped the bail with electrical tape to add a little diameter/bulk to the bail and that helped as a temporary measure.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:34 pm 

Here's what I did.

I drilled a small hole in the K clip and put a bit of bungie through it. I fed both ends of that through some tubing with a small hole drilled in the middle, pulled both bungie ends through the hole, and joined the ends with a bit of shrink tubing. I just grab the tubing and pull it up over the offending floppiness. We'll see how hit performs in the field.

Clip open:

Closing....

....aaaaaand... closed:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 pm 

Now that my NS SL split has been ridden a bit, a little gap is now noticeable and the K-Clips should take up the slack now. Will install soon!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 pm 

Spent a day on the Jones with my modded K clips and they worked superbly. Nary a clack. Easy to deploy or secure. If yours are even remotely annoying, do what I did two posts up. :thumbsup:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:00 pm 

Phillip. I bet if you take the hook end off and with some pliers pry the hook back 1/32 or so you could take that tape off and all will be tight again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:43 am 

wjb wrote:
..pry the hook back 1/32 or so you could take that tape off and all will be tight again.

I may try that, but the tape looks so radar absorbing and stealth. :)

Jones also drilled the tip and tail hooks a hair too close to the inside edges, so the hooks nearly fall onto the rivet pin, with one-finger pressure. All my other boards require a really firm push and the hook snaps positively into place. I will be curious to see if the K hooks start opening on their own. If not, then no harm.

The bungee worked well enough that I will probably do the same on my Prior even though those clips are less floppy.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:39 am 

Hey guys, if you want a really easy solution for making sure your clips don't clack around. For the screw that doesn't need a nut. I used a longer screw so when in tour mode, the clip gets held into place by the screw. BAM! easy solution. now your laughing. I just got the k-clips on my Venture Storm. and on solid ice groomers, it is so solid. No flapping, no vibrating nose. just solid, not a sound. quite lovely! Thanks Karakorum for the clips!

Boots: Salomon Malamutes
SnowSurf Pads: Almond MFG.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 pm 

I didn't buy mine and I haven't read every post in this thread but here's a few thoughts.

I tried to get a set to review for the site a year ago to no avail but the three splits (arbor, never summer, chimera) I've been using this year all have the K clips installed. So far I've been really digging them for the simple reason that they're dynamic and literally help pull the two halves together. It's pretty slick.

When the Voile hooks are installed extra tight (only a couple mfgs actually do this) they are sorta dynamic but not to the level of the K clips. It's pretty difficult to truly discern the difference in most conditions but on hard snow I do think I can tell the Ks have a slight advantage...especially once the Voile hooks have worn in.

Are they worth $50? I think if you're into pimping your production split or making a DIY split the best it can be then sure, but it's not like they're going to make you a better rider.

Much like I've experienced in production splits and Voile hooks, so much of how well each system engages is based on how well the mfg installs them. It's not always as consistent as it should be based on the time, effort, and skill of the mfg. I've noticed this with the K clip installations too.

Because of this (and due to the way the K clips can wear in as well) I suggested using a ski-boot style latch like the picture below that can be tightened and loosened (essentially the bail is threaded into the latch). It would require the K clip to be redesigned slightly but would be worth it in my opinion so you can adjust the tightness over time.

In terms of clacking, so far it hasn't been an issue for me.

I googled ski boot buckle images and found this pic from tetonat, RIP rando steve.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next