Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scarpa F1 and F3
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:53 pm 

Buell: Any updates on how the cube-modded F1s rode this past season?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 pm 

The cube mod worked really well. I used them as my winter boots all winter and they held up fine riding in all kinds of conditions. Durability seems fine, but I am not using them at the moment on volcano corn where a failure could have serious consequences.

The cube does not allow quite as much backward motion of the upper cuff when skinning as the original walk mode. It shortens the stride just a bit but still less than a softboot and binding. They do work perfect as the highback stop. It is really nice to have the heelside control.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:31 pm 

just got my f1's took them for a tour stock, and found like everyone else that they are pretty stiff. the above photo shows the lock for the forward lean. i've moved the ski/walk mechanism up to the mellowest setting. wondering if I enlarging the notch on the lever would result in more flex heelside?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:27 pm 

A question for all you Dynafit + Scarpa (w/bellows) veterans...
Do I need to add in the extra parts that came with my F3's when I convert to Dynafit toe pieces, or can I go ahead and let the bellows flex?
Being a runner I really like that the bellows flexed when I demo'd the Dynafit toes, but I don't mind locking it out if there is a technical reason to do so.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:48 pm 

Snurfer, those blocks that keep the bellow from flexing are for skiing. At least that is my interpretation. For skinning I just let the boots flex. It is really nice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:51 pm 

buell wrote:
Snurfer, those blocks that keep the bellow from flexing are for skiing. At least that is my interpretation. For skinning I just let the boots flex. It is really nice.

Awesome! Thx for the clarification...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:06 pm 

I just got a pair of Scarpa F! shims blocks that slide into the Dynafit TLT crampon bracket. I have been out once touring with the shims blocks. [They float like a Dynafit crampon without teeth].

I was having trouble the the G3 8mm climbing heel falling down as my F1 boot bellows flexed. I think the F! shim and 21mm heel will fix this issue for me. I switch from G3 8mm to 21mm dual climbing heels. I need to get our more to see if this is a better will resolve the heel bail falling down while skinning up.

Pro:
The Shims seem to improve skiing and skinning up. This shim raise the heel from 8mm to 21mm. Better boot contact.

Con:
The Dynafit toe and Scarpa F1 already ski well without the shims for touring, Altough a little flex under bellows. IMO, not an issue for Split- ski touring but may be this issue in skinning up.

The shims are something else to carry and add weight.

That said, I would not use the direct mount Scarpa shim (a shim which is mounted with two wood screws) under the bellows, aft of the dynafit binding as this impede using a B&D Dynafit crampon.

Note: the shim still allows for a natural fiex of the bellows.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm 

Using the F1/3's you can tour w/o the shim, but then it's more possible to come out of the dyna toes. You also lose a small amount of energy when the bellows sage when weighted. This sagging doesn't really do anything positive for you and with the shims you still get normal comfortable below compression.

On the Sierra High Route last year, I used F3's w/o shims and it worked, but I did pop out maybe 5 times (over 6 days) and of course I always disengaged at rather puckery times.

I'm just a dumb snowboarder, but I don't think a non-belowed AT boot or a shimmed belowed boot would have popped out.

The voile ski crampons are sort of a solution to this dilemma. The permanent thing that stays on your ski/split works as a shim (although it still allows a mm or so of sag, I've been meaning to build it up with epoxy).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 am 

For those of you who use the shims for touring, do they adjust upward to support the boot when you use the heel risers?

I have toured quite a bit on the bellowed Scarpas without the shims. Sometimes in some pretty sketchy situations that put a lot of load on the dynafit piece (steep, frozen corn on the volcanoes). I have never come out of the toe piece. That piece must hold the toe of the boot when skiing so it can handle a lot more load than it gets when we are skinning.

The toepiece has several release settings so a skier can set the release point in case they crash or are in an avalanche. DD, are you clicking the locking lever up to get the highest setting? If you only click it once or twice, it is easy to come out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm 

Buell: Any updates on how the cube-modded F1s rode this past 2011/2012season?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:38 pm 

I switched to dynafit tlt5s for this year so they sat on a shelf.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 pm 

Buell: can you offer a comparison between the TLT5 and the Scarpa F1: both in stock from and then in their respected modified form?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 pm 

Powder_Rider wrote:
Buell: can you offer a comparison between the TLT5 and the Scarpa F1: both in stock from and then in their respected modified form?

The fit is quite similar between the two boots. Very snug, low profile, and light. Without the magic cube mod on the F1s, they both hike and skin really well. The TLTs are definitely better for more technical skinning without the bellow to flex off. Between Rebecca and myself, I have seen several pairs of Scarpa and Dynafit boots. My opinion is that the Dynafits are consisitently a higher quality boot.

I only rode the F1s stock for a day. It was also a while back. I think stock F1 to stock TLT5 without the tongue insert, the F1s were a bit stiffer. Both boots are a bit stiff laterally. I will likely look into softening the lateral flex of the TLTs.

Removing the locking bar on the F1 is comparable to walk mode on the TLT5. The TLT might have more backward motion though. I have no heel side with this option on either boot. That is why I added the magic cube to the F1s and modded the ski/walk bar on the TLTs.

The TLTs skin and walk so much better than the magic cubed F1s. The backward range of motion is tremendous on the TLTs and quite restricted even on the lowest setting of the magic cubed F1s. I am not sure about how the TLTs compare to non modified F1s but I expect they have more range as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next