Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BC beta needed!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 am 

Hey all,

a few of us are heading up to the baker splitfest from UT this year. prior to that we are trying to spend a few days in SW BC. We would prefer to stay within 4-5 hours of the baker area to limit total driving time. so far we are looking at:
duffey lakes area (joffre/keiths hut)
whistler backcountry
chilliwack area
coquihalla

we would be in the area the week of the 18th and then heading down to baker mid-late week.
any suggestions on what area we should check out? the idea of staying in a hut is appealing but day trips from the car work just as good. the other thing is weather, while I would like to try to bag some bigger lines being in an area with good storm day riding is a bonus. I bought "exploring the coast mountains on skis" by John Baldwin and it has tons of info, but I thought I would try to reach out to some of you guys in that area and see what you had to say.

thanks for any info!

Post subject: Re: BC beta needed!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:31 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
Hey all,

a few of us are heading up to the baker splitfest from UT this year. prior to that we are trying to spend a few days in SW BC. We would prefer to stay within 4-5 hours of the baker area to limit total driving time. so far we are looking at:
duffey lakes area (joffre/keiths hut)
whistler backcountry
chilliwack area
coquihalla

we would be in the area the week of the 18th and then heading down to baker mid-late week.
any suggestions on what area we should check out? the idea of staying in a hut is appealing but day trips from the car work just as good. the other thing is weather, while I would like to try to bag some bigger lines being in an area with good storm day riding is a bonus. I bought "exploring the coast mountains on skis" by John Baldwin and it has tons of info, but I thought I would try to reach out to some of you guys in that area and see what you had to say.

thanks for any info!

Hey bro,if you want some big lines in glaciated alpine terrain,check out Keiths Hut,snow is crap right now there,but keep eye on the weather,it's the best option for what you want,it's about a 2.5hour tour in along a pretty used trail to the hut at 1600m,there you have access to Joffre and Matier peaks and Aniversary GI,all with open faces and couloirs,try go there during the week,but if you go on the weekend then bring a tent!
Otherwise Blackcomb backcountry has lots of great alpine lines also,but i'd be up around Keiths if it was my choice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:53 pm 

Id go Duffey zone and Whistler backcountry, you will have more options there than you could ever cover.

Snow should be fine in the Duffey right now, Whistler got 20 cms plus last night, and a few cms has been falling here and there, so the Duffey should have some fresh. I toured a few days ago off Whistler and the snow was pretty decent for the lack of snow we have had the past few weeks.

Good and stable too, so hopefully it will be good when you are here. You could also look at Wendy Thompson hut for a night, but you have to book it, but at least you will get a place to sleep. There are about 6 other cabins off the Duffey too, but they are not listed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:45 pm 

Give me a reminder closer to the date and I'll give ya an update on whats going on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:56 pm 

Quote:
Hey bro,if you want some big lines in glaciated alpine terrain,check out Keiths Hut,snow is crap right now there,but keep eye on the weather,it's the best option for what you want,it's about a 2.5hour tour in along a pretty used trail to the hut at 1600m,there you have access to Joffre and Matier peaks and Aniversary GI,all with open faces and couloirs,try go there during the week,but if you go on the weekend then bring a tent!
Otherwise Blackcomb backcountry has lots of great alpine lines also,but i'd be up around Keiths if it was my choice.

I was out Cerise creek today (Keiths hut area), and I am happy to report nice snow. Not the blower stuff we had when it was cold, but its pretty damn nice, and it was snowing nicely when I left. We really needed this refresh. Wasn't hitting any crusts and even a few face shots. Stability seemed pretty good all around, didn't see anything slide, and there was a lot of tracks about. I was riding on a NE aspect off the side of Joffre, did 2 nice long mellow runs before my legs told me to go home.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 pm 

Hmm, seems they have changed South Coast forecast, more snow, but high avalanche danger tomorrow suddenly, so be careful. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 pm 

thanks for all the info guys! I should have been more specific we are going to be there March 17th-20something. Just trying to get some early better. Is powder pretty much a lost cause that late in march?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:20 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
thanks for all the info guys! I should have been more specific we are going to be there March 17th-20something. Just trying to get some early better. Is powder pretty much a lost cause that late in march?

Not at all,I was'nt there last season but April was apparently insane,loads of blower stuff especially on North facing Aspects.You guys will love it,snowpack is like a giant blob of concrete
Here's Wilkez's TR from Keith's last April -

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11040&p=80722

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm 

IrishGav wrote:
wasatch surf wrote:

Not at all,I was'nt there last season but April was apparently insane,loads of blower stuff especially on North facing Aspects.You guys will love it,snowpack is like a giant blob of concrete
Here's Wilkez's TR from Keith's last April -

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11040&p=80722

my god. that looks amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
my god. that looks amazing.

Yeah you gonna have a good time :thumbsup:

Every time I skin up the Duffey, I realize how lucky we are to have that piece of real estate. So much out there, endless. BC is a God damn good place to be :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:53 pm 

My deepest day ever snowboarding was Rohr trees in March last year. Two and a half hours of sinking up to our thighs on the skin up. Chest deep at change over. Lapped the upper half of the Powder Show for 4500ft of face shots.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 am 

I just spend 7 days in the Duffey Lake Area, 2 days by Cayoosh, and 5 days at Keiths. Then spent 1 day at the Coquihalla Range, and I must say, everything is awesome. If you have a chance, go to Keiths during the week. Its a shitshow on the weekend, for good reason. There is a ton of stuff to ride, including trees and big alpine stuff including technical mountaineering routes. Get John Baldwins book and go for it, you won't regret it.

Its also nice having oxygen, we could skin about 50% higher then normal in the San Juan range. Climbing at 6-9K is WAY easier then climbing from 10-14k.

And drink for blue bird days. We had limited supply but we could still get up into the bigger terrain safely and we got first tracks in a foot of blower on the anniversary glacier (we had about 2 hours of bluebird, who says BC doesn't get powder). It snowed almost every day, but the avalanche danger in the Duffy was still manageable (wayyyy better then our snowpack in CO, only had to worry about 6 inches of snow going).

The Coquihalla was sweet as well. We were relegated to trees by the Lake Lodge due to high avy danger, but it was a snowboarders paradise, lots of cliffs, pillows, windlips and fun terrain. It was so good we cranked out 5 laps. Couldn't say on the rest of the terrain because I couldn't see it, but their snow is DEEP.

Go there. Buy Baldwins book (and or maps), and have a damn fun time, it was a ridiculous trip we had. I'll have a TR up in a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 pm 

summersgone wrote:
Its also nice having oxygen, we could skin about 50% higher then normal in the San Juan range. Climbing at 6-9K is WAY easier then climbing from 10-14k.

When I first read that I thought you guys took actual oxygen canisters up with you. :wink: Nice that you had a training advantage coming from higher up.

Glad you had a good trip, seems you timed it right as we were having a little bit of a snow drought for a while. It was nice to be able to see and have stable snow for a little while though.