Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - Jones solution

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jones solution
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:10 am 

philip.ak wrote:
I have seen some boards where the "graphics" were cut outs of different colored base material that fit together perfectly. My wife's old Palmer was like that. A good base grind should bring the pieces flush, if that is in fact what's going on.

True a base grind would likely help, if that is the issue. Seems crap to deal with that though on a new board.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 am 

I have no problem with this board gliding... Yes it took some work to get it there.. But i have had to do that with all my snowboards. A base grind could do the trick. But it also could be the wax. But i have spent a lot of time, trying different wax. I have been riding my solution in the resort, and it is faster than most people's skis. Also it takes more than one wax job.. I have been riding almost everyday this month and i wax every other day. Spend some time and learn what wax works in your area.. learn how to tune your base.. It should not matter.. this board.. is fast..

everyone wants to just go ride.. put some work into your gear.. you will get 300% back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:31 pm 

tearle305 wrote:
everyone wants to just go ride.. put some work into your gear.. you will get 300% back.

True, but the base should be even to begin with. Im just saying if I had a board sold to me with an uneven bottom it would be going back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:39 am 

I have been waxing my own gear since the early 80's when I started skiing, I switched over to snowboarding in 95 and have been taking care of my boards since then, I completly agree that the effort is well worth it.
Still, this is my first splitboard and my first Jones so In the split department I'm a complete novice. I am an absolute fan of Neversummer and was planning to buy a NS split but couldn't get the boards here in Europe. My wife really loves her solution and the base feels much smoother on that, a base grind will likely help my board but sending it back is really not an option, it's not possible to buy splitboards in this country so to send it back means shipping it which is expensive.
That's always the problem with internet shopping, you have to trust the manufacturer of the product but I like taking risks.
Anyway, I will probably use this board for the rest of this season to see how I like splitboarding compared to snowshoeing with my board but for my preference the solution doesn't compare favourably with my NS premier so next year a change of brand back to NS will be in the cards.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:59 am 

Take it to a shop (a good shop) and have them "re-structure" the base on a stone grinder. Jones' should have a sintered base, this means that they can be stone ground. This will resurface and hopefully restructure the base finish. This is why race skis are faster, smoother and hold wax better.

The next step, by you or by the shop, would be to "impregnate" the base with wax. We would do this with a thick layer of wax and put the board under warm lighting (or in a warm environment) for 24-48 hours. A good scrap and polish afterwards should bring this board back to life!

This problem was probably a bad grind & structure from the factory at Jones when the board was built. Yet another Jones QC episode.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:11 pm 

I've been playing with a Solution for a few days now. The split seam is perfect. There is basically zero gap and the magnatraction edges line up nicely. This is in stark contrast to other Solutions I have seen, so I count myself lucky.

The inside edge walls aren't perfectly perpendicular to the base, so the K clips do produce some hull effect. This can make sliding the Sparks onto the pucks require a lot of force. A different Solution I saw had a far more severe hull effect, so again I feel lucky that mine is mild. The K clips on my Prior produce no hull effect and those clips are TIGHT!

The topsheet looks pretty good with no lumps, artifacts, or areas of bad layer adhesion. Not Venture snowboards nice, but decent.

The base is indeed made out of pieces of p-tex that form the graphics. This reduces waste a lot (their flip-flop graphics strategy) but can lead to imperfect seams. Mine are pretty good. I can feel some with my fingernail, but it is minor.

The only major issue so far is the spacing of the holes drilled for the tip and tail hooks, and the K clips. They are too close to the inside edges. When closing the K clips there is almost no tension on the clips at all. In fact, the board edges barely come together as the clip's camming action is at its maximum (just before the cam lever is fully closed), but then a gap opens again as the clip lever relaxes to its final position. I wrapped electrical tape around the clip bail to increase its diameter and pull the board halves tight. The tip and tail hooks close with no effort at all. I can close them with one finger. This is way looser than any board I have ever tried, and as the parts settle I wonder if the hooks may start opening on their own. We'll see.

Anyway, I am satisfied with the build quality at this point, though the spacing of the clip and hook holes is embarrassing. There are other Solutions I have seen that I would not accept though. They just had way too many construction issues. Inside edge gaps, delaminating topsheet edges, major hull effects, etc. Mine may be a newer build and hopefully quality is improving.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:16 pm 

If the base graphics are indeed raised, I would take it back to the shop that you bought it from, with a six pack (of good beer), and nicely explain the situation. If they are able, ask if the can just run it over the stone grinder (if they have one) to even out the base then pay them for a good quality hot wax with wax that is temp specific to your conditions. If you bought it online, do the same thing, but bring a case of (good) beer :guinness: If they are super helpful, maybe ask them to bevel the inside edges for you too.

I have three Jones boards right now (Solution, Flagship, and a Mountain Twin) and none of them have QC issues, problems sliding, or any other problems. I have been beating the shit out of a brand new Flagship the last few days, riding it over rocks, stumps, and more rocks and it has held up to the abuse as well as my Never Summer boards so far. NS makes the best boards around, I won't argue there (15 year happy customer). But they just haven't made a split model that fits my qualifications yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 pm 

Philip, check out what i did for tail/tail clips, works like a charm and also field repairable!

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10065&hilit=+tail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:39 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
Philip, check out what i did for tail/tail clips, works like a charm and also field repairable!

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10065&hilit=+tail

Nice. I may do that when I get back home. The friction when turning the hook is adequate, it just hooks onto the rivet in the most anemic way possible. But it is true that if it requires more torque to turn the hook itself, it is less likely to swivel off the pin on its own.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:02 am 

While I don't doubt the helpfullness of beer in any situation, sending a case of beer to the online shop in Italy where I bought the boards from will cost even more than sending the board back!
The base grind is a possibility, I only know of one reliable shop "near" here for that but I don't know if they can do a stone grind or not, unfortunately though, that shop is also 1,000km from here so I won't be going there any time soon.
I was wondering why it is so hard to slide my binding into place compered with my wife's board so thanks for that insight! It seems that there are some big differences in quality between individual boards, I must try my wife's board some day see if rides much differently.
After waxing my boards I usualy put them in the sauna for about 6 hours at about 60c. I will bevel the inner edge a bit, see how that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:33 am 

The edges on my jones solution 164 (2010/2011) are starting to seperate from the base....guy at the shop said to bring it back at the end of season for warranty. I hope they replace it, the ride is so smooth!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:17 pm 

scottnfld wrote:
The edges on my jones solution 164 (2010/2011) are starting to seperate from the base....guy at the shop said to bring it back at the end of season for warranty. I hope they replace it, the ride is so smooth!

I had two, yep two, Flagship 163W do this on me after literally just a few days of riding. Got them both replaced under warranty and for the third one I got the 168W. This one has lasted for over 30 days so far so that's good. The durability was disappointing but the customer service was quite good through Jones and Porter's of Tahoe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:06 am 

Just as a heads up to anyone looking to get a stone grind for the base of their Solution, there's a good chance the darker part of the base will stain the lighter one. I just picked up my Solution and had them stone grind it to smooth out the base and smooth out the rivets for the k-clips and the black part of my base ended up staining the white a bit. It just left some darker streaks in it, purely cosmetic. I personally don't care much about the looks so it's not a big deal to me, but this is for those of you who do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next