Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: POV Footage, I hate it.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:02 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
It's nice to see another thread go from light-hearted ribbing to full spleen venting.

Carry on. :clap:

Definitely meant to be light hearted ribbing. Its getting a nice reaction though. :guinness:
classicauto wrote:
wah wah wah

Its the same bullshit as the guy who buys a DSLR and has a thousand pictures of his dog because "don't ya know he's pro since his camera is the size of a loaf of bread"

I own a couple of gopro's and take a lot of footy. I edit vids that I keep in a collection on my computer.

I *only* put up a video if its something I think is really worthwhile, or that someone else might be interested in since most of the footage is some random run that I was in love with and want to relive - but looks like random, noisy garbage to anyone who didn't ride with me that day.

With the advent of inexpensive, high def, nearly indestrucitble cameras - you're going to see this trend of useless video. Can't stop it. Just like you can't stop people from video blogging on youtube about getting a box of spices for 40% off. The technology has enabled people to do it - and I'm sure most would agree that many many people in this world lack common sense and taste, so we now get to watch HD fisheye lens footage of it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and although I'd have to say there is a certain point where POV footage can drag on, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking it, using it, and sharing it. Besides its far more interesting to watch a backcountry run from atop a helmet then a lap off the lift and back to the line.

If its oh so disturbing to a person that they absolutely can't stand POV footage, I'd say that they've watched too many videos!! The reason POV looks bad - is because real ski flicks look AMAZING!!! lol

This thread might inspire me to actually make a video TR for my alaska trip.....with 45min. of POV driving an RV to valdez lol

All good points, but, I still think POV is awful :bananas:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:45 pm 

shredgnar wrote:
Nick, that's the whole reason people post POV footage. So other people can see it. If it's not good footage and then nobody cares about it, including me. That's why they post it. Do you think they post it so they can archive their video on the internet for eternity?

I have contributed photos and tr's to this site in the past, not from this season because there really hasn't been much worth writing about in CO this year due to high avy conditions and low tide. Even if there was, I usually leave the camera at home, I don't feel the need to post every detail of my life on the internet for all to see. I also rarely click and read tr's unless they are from somewhere interesting to me. I'm just not that into it, some people are and that's cool.

That's kinda weird that you e-stalked me...weirdo. :lol:

Don't get your panties in a bunch dude. I was just asking some questions.

I didn't remember you posting anything sweet, so I clicked on your name and glossed through your posts since December to make sure I didn't miss something great before making the statement I did. Call me weird if you must... I guess it is pretty weird in this country to get the facts before making a statement.

Sorry your season sucks! I love seeing other people's stoke photos and POV footage, even shitty stuff occasionally if I've been hitting the books all week. I think the WA/MT/CA/CO conditions threads are some of the best on here. Would you rather read 13 pages of posts about the latest splitboard or pair of boots? I think many of you would. Remember it's snowboarding guys and gals- it's about climbing mountains and riding down them. Your equipment matters a lot less than most of you think. In my opinion, any contribution that involves actual splitboarding content, especially one with photos and/or video, is way more important that discussing technical gear nuances. It's nice when people care enough to take the time and develop their photography/videography/editing/writing skills, and their posts reflect that. But everyone has to start somewhere.

It seems like there's something else going on with all you haters, because the simple answer to all your complaints is to NOT CLICK ON THE POV FOOTAGE! An easy solution... which makes me wonder why everyone's so riled up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:48 pm 

KGN wrote:
All good points, but, I still think POV has its place in limited quantities when balanced with scenics, 3rd party shots, stills, macros, timelapse, aerials, etc.

Fixed it for ya. :)

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:13 pm 

I'd personally rather watch a UTAH or BGnight gopro edit than video filmed from a heli of t.rice spinning off some wooden jump (which is also pretty awesome), but that's just me I guess...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm 

I think a point that needs to be made is that some people come to this site and others looking for "STOKE!!!" and I for one am not one of those people. I come to geek out on gear. I create my own stoke and keep it filed in my head under "that one time I shredded in location x".

I enjoy seeing amazing videos of stuff that impresses me, but with that said, it takes a lot these days to impress me. I haven't bought or really read a snowboard mag in at least five years and that ain't gonna change. I do enjoy watching vids sometimes, but I just don't get into as much as I did ten or fifteen years ago. I can't even walk into a snowboard shop anymore. I guess I'm just old now.

POV is the lowest common denominator to me. I barely enjoy most well produced movies, why would I want to see some amateur snowboarder's amateur footage?

I'm starting to think that not all of us think the same. Weird huh?...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 pm 

People come to this site for a myriad of reasons, not a dichotomy as you suggest. You make it loud and clear that you don't want to see video footage, but your grievance seems so pointless. Just do what I do with the deluge of threads concerning gear... ignore it! It's easy and doing so will save you the effort of hating on people just trying to share their good time with others.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 am 

Personally, I go out into the mountains to snowboard. That's my focus. It's not about how many meters I climbed in a day or how many runs I've done and, least of all, it's not about how cool I'm going to look in some lame as GoPro video. I have a respect for quality footage and photography. In fact I love greats shots. The art of capturing the essence of a rider is beautiful, but everyone wants their 15 mins of fame; wants to look cool and brag to their friends. But this comment is incomplete because their are some damm good riders out their using these video apparatus. Probably out of some form of sponsorship agreement, so that the consumer gets stoked and goes out and buys their product. Then their are the pros who shout it because it gives their films some interesting perspectives. Maybe it all boils down to Ego, because it's not like their is a lack of Ego in the snowboarding world. Anyways, I am more interested in riding mountains then I am in worrying about how cool I am going to look in some lame as GoPro video!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 am 

nickstayner wrote:
...save you the effort of hating on people just trying to share their good time with others.

If you don't know how to hate, you don't know how to love.

See also: Clowning: something snowboarders used to do. They don't anymore. Not sure why. I miss it. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:58 am 

nickstayner wrote:
People come to this site for a myriad of reasons, not a dichotomy as you suggest. You make it loud and clear that you don't want to see video footage, but your grievance seems so pointless. Just do what I do with the deluge of threads concerning gear... ignore it! It's easy and doing so will save you the effort of hating on people just trying to share their good time with others.

But for some reason your super power of ignoring threads you don't care about failed you when this thread popped up. So you must feel some sort of deep rooted need to defend the teletubies with little boxes on their heads who swarm the ski area every day. I'm not really hating on people, I don't hate them, I just like to make fun of them, like guys with tall tees or gapers. But I don't need to defend myself to you Nick, sounds like we both like to slide down the mountain on a snowboard, you just like to do it with a little box on your head that records your every move. That's cool, keep on doing your thing, but if I see you, I'll probably laugh at you, just like I laugh at my friends who do the same thing. :lol:

It's been real, but I'm out of this conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 am 

One thing to keep in mind, is that these cams out in the field so often does find footage (rarely) that is amazing and helpful such as small avys, or one that comes to mind is the clip of the skier carving past a bear waking up from hibernation last spring.

You would never see stuff like this before or without all this tech out in the field.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:49 am 

Ok half way serious now. Is it possible that helmet cams contribute to the on-snow version of distracted driving? Armchair QBing is douchey ,true, but in the interest of furthering the discussion about the role and impact of helmet cams in snow culture and beyond: I have to ask, Where the fuck was this kids head at? (embed help)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHAqTTOBPE

Asking: Is it possible this kids spidey senses were not fully engaged?
-Was he thinking about getting the shot instead of focusing on his surroundings?
-Was he listening to an IPOD?
-How does the way helmet cams are marketed influence the thinking of the people who use the product? i.e. Why does a two year old go ape shit over a box of fruity sugar frosted cereal when by all accounts the parents never knowingly exposed the kid to sugary cereal?
-Can a comparison be drawn between snowboard lifestyle marketing and the eating disorders and body image issues that girls get from reading cosmo, vogue and the like?

All these questions and more kids.
Peace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:39 pm 

Too much buzzkill? Just to be clear, I don't have answers to the questions I raised above. Not making assumptions about what that kid was up to just using his video as an example to have a conversation about helmet cams that goes beyond light ribbing for sucky POV footage.

Did it seem odd that the vid opened with an ad and had a groovy soundtrack? I mean, dude could of died.

All I know is, next time I'm in a lift line surrounded by GOPROBOTS, I will be in battle mode. They could receive kill orders from central command at any time. Humans Vs. GOPROBOTS. The next sub-cultural battlefield.?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:26 pm 

classicauto wrote:
One thing to keep in mind, is that these cams out in the field so often does find footage (rarely) that is amazing and helpful such as small avys, or one that comes to mind is the clip of the skier carving past a bear waking up from hibernation last spring.

You would never see stuff like this before or without all this tech out in the field.

Yeah they do pick up some neat stuff, and stuff like that put into an edit keeps it interesting. Anyways, another reason I suppose I dislike them is the fact that wherever you are now, your being filmed. Whether its cell phones or these things, I find it annoying that everything in the world that happens gets put on the internet. You do anything dumb at the hill, and some dude with a cam on a stick is video taping and frothing at the mouth to get home and show everyone.

I guess I just opened a new can of worms with the privacy thing :wink:

Anyways guys, dont get too easily offended by these posts. Its not like any of us really care what you do, and you shouldn't care either.

That being said I am right. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next