Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: POV Footage, I hate it.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:59 am 

Narcissism at it's finest. I prefer to see grainy, out of focus, still shots most of the time. Quick (to download) and easy.

Unless you are doing something that is groundbreaking and new, which you aren't, just put the GoPro back in the box and return it to Costco where your mom bought it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:29 am 

Why do they get to bust it out of their box if it's "something new"? Because "you'll" care about it then?
Do you contribute any photos/videos/TRs to this site? I didn't see any when I looked at your posts from this season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:41 am 

Nick, that's the whole reason people post POV footage. So other people can see it. If it's not good footage and then nobody cares about it, including me. That's why they post it. Do you think they post it so they can archive their video on the internet for eternity?

I have contributed photos and tr's to this site in the past, not from this season because there really hasn't been much worth writing about in CO this year due to high avy conditions and low tide. Even if there was, I usually leave the camera at home, I don't feel the need to post every detail of my life on the internet for all to see. I also rarely click and read tr's unless they are from somewhere interesting to me. I'm just not that into it, some people are and that's cool.

That's kinda weird that you e-stalked me...weirdo. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 am 

nickstayner wrote:
Why do they get to bust it out of their box if it's "something new"? Because "you'll" care about it then?
Do you contribute any photos/videos/TRs to this site? I didn't see any when I looked at your posts from this season.

I have not posted any TRs myself. Why? Because I rarely take a camera, let alone a cam on a stick. I simply cannot be bothered, hiking for hours, then ruining my ride down trying to focus a stick on myself. Aside from that, I have no interest in cameras, taking a nice photo, editing video, taking video. That said, if I do build a TR ever it will be photos only.I do like reading TRs of new areas though. I just think if your going to put up a video for everyone to see, make it worthwhile.

Have a look at this one
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10969

Now pick a POV TR showing your face for 6 minutes and tell me what you want to take the time to look at?
(Oh and dont forget I am just throwing a bit of shit at the fan, dont take
this too personal :wink: )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:04 am 

So I'm in a long lift line a couple weeks ago and I look around to see that well over half the people in line have a fucking camera on their head. It....was......creepy......bro. SURVEILLANCE NATION. In Bellingham the people just fought back an effort to install red light cams. Yay the people. The FAA is currently looking at how to allow private drone aircraft in Amurican airspace. There are drone aircraft with cameras that are the size of, and hover like, a hummingbird. If one of those fuckers swoops into my airspace it's getting blasted.

Prediction: In five years we look back on helmet cams like a bad 80's perm. Embarrassed by our trend following gullibility.

Although: A drone hummingbird could get some pretty sick follow cam footy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:10 am 

I own a gopro, have posted a few videos, and basically agree that POV sucks. I rarely put mine on anymore.

The problem as I see it is that in order to take still photographs you have to be constantly making decisions about what is worth capturing and what isn't. With POV it seems like folks tend to turn it on and forget about it. Oh yeah, and the wide angle makes everything less than 45degrees look flat and boring.

A perfect example is this vid of mine: .

That was one of the most fun runs I had all last season. Bluebird, amazing snow quality, nice consistent +/- 40 degree 1,500'+ shot, gorgeous scenery, great vibe. I was totally stoked before during and after that run. The problem is that the video more or less sucks. It helps that you can see my shadow, and that I put in a little totally amateurish editing to get rid of much of the low angle run-out, added some still frames, captions, etc. But still it just doesn't come close to telling the story of the day nearly as effectively as lots of TRs out there with photos and text. And since the goal was to share the stoke, I more or less consider it a failure.

That said, there is definitely a place for POV footage. I've been really stoked on the FWT helmet cam footage that's been put out, (see, http://freerideworldtour.com/videos-510.html, and yes I know that is a skier and that it is totally absurd that they didn't edit out the first 50 seconds) as well as some of the more creatively shot and edited POV TRs on this site and others even if they aren't hucking huge cliffs or making crazy exposed turns (too lazy to search for them right now).

Anyway the point of this longass roundabout post is let's give this shit time and hope it improves. POV is new and people are trying to figure out to use it to share the stoke. Yes, there is a flood of not so interesting content out there, but as folks like me figure what and how to shoot and edit it will only get better.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:04 pm 

I rode 15 years and had maybe 5 pictures to show for it. I cherish those pictures of me and my bros to this day and only wish I had captured those moments more. In my opinion Snowboarding is an art, it's beautiful. Backcountry snowboarding takes it to another level when you add a blank canvas that's only limited by your own creativity. I consider myself a creative person despite the fact I can't draw, paint or take pictures or videos worth crap. Still I find it fun to be creative. Is it narcissitic or impure for an artist to want to share his painting? I don't think so.

I think you guys care too much what other people think. If you had a cool picture or a fun video you want to share it with those that share your own passion. I ride solo 95% of the time, this site is where I share my passion with other like minded people. It's called "stoke" a LOVE for what we do and an urge to share that love with others. Critisizing people for having too much joy or love for something is stupid. I rarely pull out my gopro, I ride solo so I find myself lapping fun zones so I can utilize my track without over exhausting myself. Lapping shit by yourself can get boring and it's fun to dick around with the go-pro....it's FUN. I think you guys are maybe too wrapped up in Bindings and Snowboards and whos riding what you forget what it's all about having FUN!
You forget nobody's selling a product here, were not pros who ride resorts 90% of the time and hop on a splitboard to make a movie and sell our China made POS products to fanboy's who spend all there time worrying about what board or bindings or pack they have, it's grassroots fun and that's what the gopro is all about grassroots average guys doing it because they LOVE every moment.

Let's see each of these days had a different theme a fun vibe a different zone with unique features, it's hard to choose just three so heres the link to them all.
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=12065

Now go have FUN and stop worrying about whos got what, share the stoke....add something to this site besides negativity and pooo poooing on everyone elses STOKE.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 pm 

wah wah wah

Its the same bullshit as the guy who buys a DSLR and has a thousand pictures of his dog because "don't ya know he's pro since his camera is the size of a loaf of bread"

I own a couple of gopro's and take a lot of footy. I edit vids that I keep in a collection on my computer.

I *only* put up a video if its something I think is really worthwhile, or that someone else might be interested in since most of the footage is some random run that I was in love with and want to relive - but looks like random, noisy garbage to anyone who didn't ride with me that day.

With the advent of inexpensive, high def, nearly indestrucitble cameras - you're going to see this trend of useless video. Can't stop it. Just like you can't stop people from video blogging on youtube about getting a box of spices for 40% off. The technology has enabled people to do it - and I'm sure most would agree that many many people in this world lack common sense and taste, so we now get to watch HD fisheye lens footage of it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and although I'd have to say there is a certain point where POV footage can drag on, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking it, using it, and sharing it. Besides its far more interesting to watch a backcountry run from atop a helmet then a lap off the lift and back to the line.

If its oh so disturbing to a person that they absolutely can't stand POV footage, I'd say that they've watched too many videos!! The reason POV looks bad - is because real ski flicks look AMAZING!!! lol

This thread might inspire me to actually make a video TR for my alaska trip.....with 45min. of POV driving an RV to valdez lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 pm 

It's nice to see another thread go from light-hearted ribbing to full spleen venting.

Carry on. :clap:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 pm 

I'll have your spine as my mantle piece!!!! :rock: lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:43 pm 

Bam! Just figured out how to fund my retirement. I'm starting a hummingbird drone follow cam service. Dial that chit up on your smarty and I'll GPS coordinate a drone to your location. Follow cam your shreds and have an edit sent to your phone quick like. Live feed too. No more silly camera on your helmut. Weight weenies love that. Putting gopro and contour the f outta business. Futuristic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:54 pm 

What we need is a phone that you can carry with you everywhere you go so if your driving in your car you can be on your phone, if walking down the street you can be on your phone, long lift lines.....phone, hanging with friends.....phone, you could be on your phone right now while you read this important post and then we can create a tool on the phone that allows you to type messages, cause who the hell wants to talk to anybody these days. This could be $$$$$$$$$$

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm 

Phew. You had me worried there for a minute. Gotta go I'm blowing up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next