Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice/Help with video editing of GoPro footage
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:42 pm 

Hey, I am new to the GoPro and video editing. Anyone know of a link or video to a tutorial or something? I am trying to splice a few videos together. The GoPro software (Cineform) seems painfully slow for converting prior to editing, but maybe that is my 5 yo mac on Lion causing the issue. Just looking for some general advice. Took a few videos of my kid during a snowboard lesson and a few of my friends and I doing some runs, nothing fancy or crazy. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Advice/Help with video editing of GoPro footage
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:52 pm 

Could be the age of your machine. I've got a 6 year old laptop that struggles with editing photos in photoshop elements. The best thing I've found is to shut down all the other programs on the computer while editing so that nothing else is trying to draw from the processor.

Also, you could try using iMovie which should have come with your mac. Its a pretty easy and intuitive program for video editing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:00 pm 

My wife suggested that I try her MacBook Pro which is only a year old. I was also wondering how to do it with the GoPro software. I think we both have iMovie as well. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:25 pm 

I just got mine and haven't played with it much.

Just got back from a trip and now have some footage. Got it into iMovie no problem, which has worked well for my editing needs in the past...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

The best way to edit Go Pro footage is to right click on the movie file, and select "send to Recycle Bin"

A window may pop up asking "Are you sure?". Click Yes. Then proceed to the recycle bin, and right click again. Click on "Empty Recycle Bin". It will ask you if you want permanently delete the file. Click "Yes".

:thumbsup: :guinness:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:08 am 

As long as your Mac is dual core or more it can handle the footage. Your best bet is to use imovie.
It should be an MP4 file. The imovie you are running on the older Mac may not handle MP4 but if you upgrade to the latest version for free it should have no problems.

Best place to learn editing is online. The website Lynda.com has a step by step tutorials but it cost 25 dollars a month. No sign up fee and you can stop at any time.
Creative Cow is another website with tutorials.

Should go like this

drag file from card into imovie with settings of 1080i or 720p
render and then start cutting where you want add transitions and titles and then render output.

Rendering may take all night depending on how long your movie is going to be. Thats normal with HD files even with the fastest biggest processor

Good Luck . If it gets too wierd pm me , I may be able to help......maybe not but I can steer you in the right direction

Some people may not like gopro footage, but if you have seen the gopro commercials on tv with the guy skiing off a cliff or going over a huge waterfall , then that right there is a whole lot better than usual commercials.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:08 am 

sorry for the double post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:36 am 

Don't use cineform, its main purpose is for creating 3d footage/mashing the two views together. Thats your main problem.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 am 

The old version of iMovie (v6) from years ago was intuitive. The newer versions (iMovie '08-'11) are a little tougher to figure out. YouTube has plenty of free how-tos. If you really want to learn it though, David Pogue (NYT technology writer) has an awesome book called iMovie The Missing Manual. It is simply excellent. You will find it on Amazon.

Importing POV clips will take a long time on any Mac since the editing software has to convert the .mp4 files (great for storage and viewing, bad for editing) into AIC formats (great for editing, but big). The conversion of HD files is just slow.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:51 am 

GoPro is in the business of making killer cameras, and not in the business of writing software. I'd avoid their software like the plague and use any version of iMovie that you can get your hands on.

Regarding the newer versions of iMovie -- I thinnk they're very intuitive, as long as you're not totally familiar with older versions, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:08 am 

iMovie is your best bet. Shouldn't be an issue to edit your footage on a year old Mac. Search Youtube for iMovie tutorials if you need them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm 

Hey,

Any recomendations for PC I tried Roxio and couldn't even get it to load on my 9 month old pc. I'm not after any fancy editing just to chop the video footage down so I can upload onto Youtube and facebook.

Matt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:16 pm 

there are tons out there, I use corel proX4 seems to work on gopro and contour footage. It did crash a shizzleton until I upgraded computers.....