Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:44 pm 

Mine is cut, the carbon fiber inner sidewall is cured, and I am waiting a couple of days for the polyurethane protective coats to fully cure before finish sanding the inner sidewall (600), and then drilling and mounting.
Once it is done, and I have a chance to ride it, I will post my impressions, but we are going to need some more snow around here (and it does seem to be happening) before I can get into any terrain and snow which will really give me an idea of how it will perform.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:59 pm 

So this board. Is it going to be a good go to board on a powder day? Sure sounds like it to me. But every time I think I have a handle on the tech I learn something new and or contradicting! Also what's the price shipped state side? Thanks in advance!
Still looking for a big dump in vt! :nononno:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 pm 

802smuggler wrote:
So this board. Is it going to be a good go to board on a powder day? Sure sounds like it to me. But every time I think I have a handle on the tech I learn something new and or contradicting! Also what's the price shipped state side? Thanks in advance!
Still looking for a big dump in vt! :nononno:

It depends on your riding style. If you like a Fish type board that makes quick turns using your back foot, then you may not like it. The Furberg is not a cruiser. It rewards centered and aggressive riding.

I think it is an awesome powder board and cannot wait for more powder.

The price Daniel charged me was incredibly reasonable. I would email him to find out what it would cost to get you one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:54 pm 

That the price included shipping blew my mind. Found a vid, pretty mellow riding but whatever. http://vimeo.com/35813653

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:59 pm 

powslash wrote:
That the price included shipping blew my mind. Found a vid, pretty mellow riding but whatever. http://vimeo.com/35813653

here ya go

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 pm 

Great video. This board puts a whole different spin on the game in my opinion just from catching a glimpse of it in action. In the first run it appeared it was literally coming right up out of the snow between turns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:25 pm 

So I'm trying to wrap my mind around how sidecut and waist width are working on these. Normally I wouldn't go for a 27cm waist, too wide. But it looks like the width under the insert packs isn't as wide as it would be on a board with smaller sidecut.

I might order the 162 just because the width looks good.
Anyone willing to measure the width at the inserts, front foot and back?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 pm 

PowSlash:

Do not worry about the width, get the right size. Remember, the furbergs are not super stiff, if you get a 162 you will regret it, unless you weigh under 150 lbs.
I have a 173, I am 6'1" and about 175 lbs, and I ride size 28 boots (US 10-10.5). The board is not too wide for me, and I normally ride 26 cm waists. Due to the shallow sidecut, the boards do not get much wider at the feet, one can easily go a full cm wider than normal with a furberg. The average width of the board is not very wide, considering the tapered tip and tail, and the shallow sidecut, there is no need to be concerned about the width-clearly Daniel took these things into careful consideration when designing the boards.
The whole idea of this board is to get superior float (planing float, not plowing with a tip up attitude as with Fish style boards) and to allow for lots of freedom in turn style-if you downsize, you will negate the whole point of ther board. If anything, I would recommend upsizing, especially considering the short edge contact length and rocker profile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:28 pm 

powslash wrote:
So I'm trying to wrap my mind around how sidecut and waist width are working on these. Normally I wouldn't go for a 27cm waist, too wide. But it looks like the width under the insert packs isn't as wide as it would be on a board with smaller sidecut.

I might order the 162 just because the width looks good.
Anyone willing to measure the width at the inserts, front foot and back?
Thanks in advance.

what barrows said above.

The width issue was addressed at length a couple of pages back.

I am 140 pounds and have size 25 mondo (US size7) Driver X boots. The 264 width is not an issue for me on the 162.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:29 pm 

[/quote]
The width issue was addressed at length a couple of pages back.
[/quote]
Thanks for the replies dudes. I saw that, just wanted to parse it out a little more because I really don't do wide unless it's all pow. My ankles get destroyed by wide boards on firm snow.

Think I'll go for a 67 or 73.

I have one deck with a straitish sidecut(nitro pow 88) and one thing I really like is that it traverses like crazy. It really just zips out to the zones. Have you found that to be true on your 162 or does the rocker negate traversing a little?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:58 pm 

I have not had to traverse much on it yet. It has been a really poor powder year so far in Utah and my 162 has spent the last couple of weeks sitting against the wall. I am very anxious to ride it some more, so hopefully it snows a lot, soon.

I expect that with the shallow sidecut depth it will traverse very well, even with the rocker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:11 pm 

I ordered the 173 last week, super stoked :bananas: Bummed it's taken them almost a week to get it in the mail though :banghead: I can't wait to get this baby and give her a go!!!

I do have two concerns. First, no camber/flat in the center (technically, there is a small flat section between 2 rockered sections, but i can't see how this would affect things much). Second, not very stiff. I am sure that in powder/idea conditions this board will rock, but not sure how it will handle in chopped/mixed snow conditions or ice. Daniel told me that this board is really good in steep, icy, mixed conditions... but then again, its his baby. Hopefully it will live up to claims.

I would have waited until more reviews came out, but i figured with it shipping from so far away, if i wanted to ride it this season i better get on it... Hope this company's 'first round' goes better than my experience with Jones.

Can't wait cant wait cant wait!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:56 pm 

mtsurfr wrote:
I ordered the 173 last week, super stoked :bananas: Bummed it's taken them almost a week to get it in the mail though :banghead: I can't wait to get this baby and give her a go!!!

I do have two concerns. First, no camber/flat in the center (technically, there is a small flat section between 2 rockered sections, but i can't see how this would affect things much). Second, not very stiff. I am sure that in powder/idea conditions this board will rock, but not sure how it will handle in chopped/mixed snow conditions or ice. Daniel told me that this board is really good in steep, icy, mixed conditions... but then again, its his baby. Hopefully it will live up to claims.

Actually, the furberg is rocker between the feet, with flat sections from the feet towards the tip and tail, and then early rise at the tip and tail. The rocker between the feet actually helps even out the pressure distribution along the edge between the feet, and the flat sections help even out the edge pressure towards the tip and tail. This approach is opposite of a cambered board, which concentrates the edge pressure more toward the tip and tail (exacerbated by a deep sidecut) making the board squirrely and hooky. The drawback of the rocker may be that skinning performance is somewhat compromised (I am going with full width skins instead of my usual split skins to help this) for those who are using this board for splitting. But the up side should be a board that is inherently stable and well mannered, especially in "difficult" situations: at speed, hitting chunder or buried avy debris, dealing with icy spots. I would not say the board is "soft", just that it is not exceptionally stiff (considering the 173 cm length)-my 173 before cutting was stiffer than my old Prior Backcountry (which I consider a little on the soft side)-I would call the 173 medium/stiff in terms of flex in comparison to all the other boards I have ridden, and about equal to my Winterstick Tom Burt (solid) in flex.

I would have waited until more reviews came out, but i figured with it shipping from so far away, if i wanted to ride it this season i better get on it... Hope this company's 'first round' goes better than my experience with Jones.

Can't wait cant wait cant wait!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 23  Next