Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 12/13 stuff youll like
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 pm 

Venture Euphoria :drool: :drool: :drool:
Burton Cheetah :headbang:
Spark Blaze, Edison, Skins :bananas:
The Arbor splits :drool:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
The Mountain appraoch system is a great idea for noboarders, they still need to dial the system in. Better hinges! you know what Im talkin about if you have ever toured w these LOL

Hinges are improved for next year. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:06 pm 

innovation=awesome!!

full carbon split like dps skis would be siiiiick

sparks new interface is great

looks like next year a new set up will be in order

couple hijacked pics....arbor splits

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:17 am 

The guys at the MTN Approach booth have me almost convinced. It seems like a really well put together kit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:45 pm 

mar123:

"full carbon split like dps skis would be siiiiick"

you do know that Prior has a full carbon option on all their splits, right?
Of course, what I would like to see would be full carbon option from Venture and furberg!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:35 pm 

summersgone wrote:
5) I'd love to see the specs for the Dakine and Mammut airbags in terms of weight. I'm most excited about the Dakine, looks like a Blade with an airbag. I was thinking of getting a blade, so this would be a cool offering. Also getting more companies in the market may drop price, which would be nice.

The Dakine bag is a zip add-on for the ABS unit. They come in two sizes, a 25 and a 40 (I think).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:02 pm 

The Carbon Solution is 200 Grams lighter than the regular version.

CP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:45 am 

Prior carbon splits are 600g lighter... It's kinda weird the solution only saves 200g going carbon...

Well, I guess I'll have to compare total board weight to make my choice...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:49 am 

JIn Kazama wrote:
Prior carbon splits are 600g lighter... It's kinda weird the solution only saves 200g going carbon...

Kind of makes me wonder if the Jones Carbons are actually full carbon laminate, or just one layer of carbon combined with glass... The Priors are full carbon for +$200 on any split. This is a pretty fair price as anyone who has ever purchased carbon fiber and triax glass would know. Does anyone know the retail on the Jones Carbons?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:21 am 

Quote:
Kind of makes me wonder if the Jones Carbons are actually full carbon laminate, or just one layer of carbon combined with glass... The Priors are full carbon for +$200 on any split. This is a pretty fair price as anyone who has ever purchased carbon fiber and triax glass would know. Does anyone know the retail on the Jones Carbons?

I wonder how the carbon Priors ride? I had a look at them and picked a few up and compared, definitely a nice weight savings difference. I am wondering what they did to increase the durability of the boards, as I know they were reluctant to release them early on when they first put out a series of carbons. Mainly I am wondering how a carbon board does when you are touring in uneven terrain, and put a big bend in the skis.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:34 pm 

KGN wrote:
Quote:

I wonder how the carbon Priors ride? I had a look at them and picked a few up and compared, definitely a nice weight savings difference. I am wondering what they did to increase the durability of the boards, as I know they were reluctant to release them early on when they first put out a series of carbons. Mainly I am wondering how a carbon board does when you are touring in uneven terrain, and put a big bend in the skis.

I know people who tour hard on full carbon skis (dps) and have had no problems. I am not aware of a single reason why carbon would have any problem versus glass, as long as the layup is done well. There are lots of carbon products out there which are plenty durable: Tennis Rackets, Golf Clubs, bikes, and if you are concerned about deep flex being a problem, consider that fly rods are carbon.
As long as a manufacturer uses carbon fiber correctly, a full carbon laminate board should be tougher, and last longer (retain its flex properties) than an equivalent board made with glass.
Additionally, as carbon fiber by nature is a more damp material than glass (specifically why it is used for flyrods) a carbon boards ride can be very damp, without having to add metal or excessive rubber layers to the layup.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 pm 

barrows wrote:
JIn Kazama wrote:

161 solution (jones) is 3.67kg (with clip & hooks)
161 backcountry (prior) is 3.32kg (with clip & hooks)
161 backcountry carbon (prior) is 2.75kg (with clip & hooks)

I'm pretty sure the Jones will have only partial carbon laminate - I don't think I'm willing to pay an extra to save only 200g on the board, especially when you see the quality problems we've had on standard boards (Made in Tunisia...), it makes you wonder what could happen with exotic materials...

If they manage to get a ±2.75-3kg solution that rides similarly to this year model, I'll probably give it a try, else I might keep my current solution, which could be lighter touring but is perfect riding!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:14 pm 

Jim,

Thanks for posting up those weights, are they manufacturers claimed weights, or have you made some measurements yourself, or are they from a verified third party? I am sometimes skeptical of manufacturers claimed weights, my experience wiht bikes has proven that the claimed weights are often quite "optimistic"!
In any case, it does seem that the Jones is likely only partial carbon.
Agreed on ride quality being what matters, I love my Venture in that sense, and it is certainly not a light board-I reduce a lot of weight with my boot/binding set up though. I hope that someday Klem will relent to market pressures and experiment with full carbon layups-a full carbon Venture could be a wonderful thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next