Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Karakoram Heel Risers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 am 

My last trip to Roger's Pass in BC I was having some issues with my heel risers on the karakorams. They did seem a little flimsy at first inspection but have worked fine for 10+ days. This time every time I put weight on it, it collapsed down. So mid mountain I flipped the plastic mount around 180 deg and bent the metal so the ends were closer together. I put it all together and it worked the rest of the trip. When I got home, I noticed the edges of the plastic which holds the wire up is getting worn, this seems to be the problem. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Karakoram Heel Risers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:50 pm 

starting to with my K's, just today... I experienced this with my voiles (single bar ones) as well, but the new dual-bar voiles are pretty bomber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm 

Hey there,

funny you should say this i had the exact same issue while touring in rogers two weeks ago. I started to get very frustrated as it was any time there was significant weight while doing a kick turn (torsional weight) that they fell down. This might sound odd but for whatever reason this was a one time occurence as i have been riding twice since then and i couldnt even recreate this issue if i tried so I dont know what to say. Potentially something due to some odd icing or snow buildup but my problem seems to be resolved I ll get back to you after this weekend as i am getting out again on monday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 pm 

Make sure the bases aren't backwards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:26 am 

Are they the earlier heel risers? The first set that came out had a problem (if i remember correctly) not with the base but the wire material.

If you sent them back karakoram would repalce, which they did for me, and they've been fine ever since.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:50 am 

so after another day touring they fell approximately 7-10 times yesterday and always on either the steeper terrain or during a kick turn which is never a good feeling. i noticed after that although the screws are still tight and loctited the wires themselves are quite loose. Russman this might sound dumb but which way should they be i am pretty sure mine are right but would love for it to be me being the idiot and not a flaw that needs to be fixed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:40 pm 

Do you have your binding instructions still? The diagrams show the correct orientation. I'm on the road right now or I would post a pic, but if memory serves, the rounded end of the heel plate faces back.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:23 pm 

they are correct, when your wires are up how much movement does the wire have mine has 1/2''-3/4'' of travel that just flops and when around 3/4'' if you step down, down goes the wire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:57 am 

You should take a quick video of it and send it to Karakoram. Those dudes are on it for support. You could have something installed wrong or there might just be something wrong with your risers. You can bend your wires in more to create more or less tension too. This might be all you need. I have been touring for a full season on mine with the new wires and have had no issues. If anything they are still very tight to flip up and flip down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 am 

Bending my wires in to increase their 'hold' on the plastic base did not reduce the play much. They still swung a good 1/2-3/4 inch forward and back. If they settled in a good spot, climbing was great. When they decided to sit too far forward, they folded down after 10-15 steps. When they settled too far back... Crack! :(

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am 

Can you post a pic of your setup?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:33 pm 

zerodog wrote:
Can you post a pic of your setup?

Not sure who this is directed at, but if it's me, I took the Split30s off my board until the new parts arrive from the K Bros and I'm on the road for a while so I can't snap any pics. I did post a few in this thread that may answer your questions http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12200

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:25 pm 

I have experienced this same problem, of the bases wearing through, after about 10-15 days on my split30s. After emailing Bryce when I got home from touring today, I got a response in 13 minutes! I had told him I needed them hopefully for my day tour planned for Friday, and he said he will be shipping them out tomorrow, so it's possible that I won't have them, but considering I asked on Wednesday at 5pm, I don't really expect them to pay overnight shipping or anything, but I guess we'll see. All free of charge. I responded to his first email pretty quickly, and he responded again after 11 minutes. Absolutely amazing customer service.

Also, he said that next year they would be changing the riser bases to include a heel lock down feature, in case anybody is interested.