Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: not t-bolting the heel risers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:59 am 

christoph benells wrote:
i could imagine if you had a silly honey comb core they may not stay in.

and it is easy to strip out that hole with those ski screws if you are not careful...

christoph: yes, thanks for pointing this out. All my comments are based on quality wood core snowboards. I suspect that a lot of people overtighten ski screws, doing this blows out the threads in both the wood and in the glass and plastic topsheet of the board. Ski screws should only be tightened to snug.
With foam core boards one can make an epoxy "insert" and this is likely to hold very well when done right:
Drill the hole as usual (critical that it is the right size), and then bend a piece of wire into an "L" shape, with the bottom of the "L" about 3/16" long. Fish the bottom of the "L" through the hole, and chuck the wire up in a drill. Now fire up the drill (carefully, do not blow out the hole through the topsheet) and use it to carve out the foam core underneath the top sheet. This makes a hollow pocket under the top sheet. Now fill the holes with good quality slow cure epoxy, and do your mount, making sure not to overtighten the ski screws. Let cure for few days in a warm place.
I used the epoxy insert technique to mount plate binding toe and heel pieces (Elfgen's, provided by GNU, in the old days when they were designed for direct mount to the board, no plate joining the toe and heel pieces together) on a GNU Race Room 178 foam core board, and rode it hard for two seasons with no pullouts.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:34 am 

my DIY charlie slasher split (somewhere in this forum, I think post is titled "rip-out vs swiss cheesin") is still rolling. Still in single-digit trips though.
2 t-bolts for the touring brackets, none for the lifters.
I'll be sure to keep the internet abreast of any developments.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:23 pm 

barrows wrote:
I suspect that a lot of people overtighten ski screws, doing this blows out the threads in both the wood and in the glass and plastic topsheet of the board. Ski screws should only be tightened to snug.

i suspect this too...