Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark Edison Binding
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:56 pm 

HikeforTurns wrote:
thewwkayaker wrote:
...the only remaining argument would be that - yes it could release during a move. Kinda like what happens at times to skiers. But they are willing to take that risk because the risk of avalanches and tree wells are there. That type of concern is worth the occational mishap. Again - I'm refering to a system that would release BOTH feet. And yes it can be done.

uh what? the whole point of releaseable bindings on skis is to prevent knee injuries. That sentence doesnt make any sense. The idea of a DIN controlled releaseable snowboard binding sounds cool but would cost a ton of money to develop and be heavier, etc. Good luck with that quest. Especially to release both feet simultaneously. I'll take my ABS...

If you did develop a releasable system that was din related, it shouldn't have to automatically release both bindings at once. Enough force to release one of them should be enough to release the other. The trick would be to have all the release angles covered so that the dreaded, one foot scenario would not be an issue.

Like you said a ton of money and more weight. Airbags work. Plenty of proof of that these days. If I had to choose between and airbag and releasable bindings, the airbag wins hands down.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:27 pm 

Guys, there is a better way to make the avy release bindings happen.. First you gotta only market it to softboots, cause phew hardboots :scratch: And secondly its called INSTANT NO-BOARDING! You pull the "no-board strap" to release the bindings. You skin up to your line, drop that nasty chute into the open bowl, pull the no-board strap and get your surf steeze on.. And oH Yea back to the topic those Edison binders look bitchin, but Ill wait a production season before I buy a Pair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:02 pm 

voile pucks are not cool
karakorum is the new Flow
barrows has lots of flex
bgnight likes his set up
if you dont ride in avalanche conditions then you dont need releasable bindings

if i had to pick a side im goin with spark. right on man.
and i dont care what anyone says my deeluxe spark boots are awesome and fit great

how did i miss out on this thread for so long?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:34 pm 

Wish K2 (or someone) would revive Clickers. They are still the lightest, fastest transitioning, and most releasable binding ever made. I LOVE my Blazes but if someone made these again, with an updated boot design, I would buy them in a heartbeat...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 am 

kitesurfa wrote:
Wish K2 (or someone) would revive Clickers. They are still the lightest, fastest transitioning, and most releasable binding ever made. I LOVE my Blazes but if someone made these again, with an updated boot design, I would buy them in a heartbeat...

Yeah I recall using clickers back when I was snow kiting, made it easy to step in while you flew your ride around in gusty winds. But a quick look in the local board shop and you see that gear is clunky, plasticy, heavy and hot. We definitely aren't the target audience for the most part.

As its been said before, all the techs out there, just need the Will :wink: to do it. If Spark collaborated with Deeluxe on it, I think they could come up with something.

Anyways, pretty happy with all this stuff. With a carbon board, say from Prior, gecko skins, Edison or similar light binding(with LT pins), and maybe throw in some 32 boots, we have a pretty damn light setup, with pretty quick transitions. Skiers will always have an edge on us, but at least the gap is closing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:24 am 

this thread is all over the place....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:27 pm 

powslash wrote:
Paging OCD. Whatever he says.

Oh powslash, you inflate my ego. :oops:

I am supportive of the positive obsessive qualities of the do it yourself ethic. Therefore, I stand behind this binder and it's geometric pattern expressed within the baseplate.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm 

Any new info on release date? Looking to split my Furberg this summer. I change my stance during the season for stress release on my knees. So I`m an not keen on the voile diy kit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:37 pm 

I do not think you can count on a fall release for the Edison system. It will pay to be patient here, the system shown at SIA was clearly in prototype form and still needs more refinement and extensive additional testing. I am in favor of Spark R n D taking their time on this, and getting it right from the start-bringing out a less than perfect product will not be to anyone's benefit.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:13 am 

more awesome innovation from the guys at Spark R&D.. thank you. Love the idea. Can't wait to put my sausagey fingers all over them. One binding, all my boards..sickness.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 pm 

whistlermaverick wrote:
this thread is all over the place....

look at what i started

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:43 pm 

Does anybody know a price point for Edison?
I know there is still a while before they come out but maybe they are aiming for a certain price?

Alex

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 pm 

The price is still TBD but I have heard from a number of sources they'll come in on a par with Karakorem; i.e. $600-$800.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next