Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - New Jones Splitboard Backpack

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Jones Splitboard Backpack
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:51 pm 

Hey!

Jones Snowboards just showed their new backpack at SIA.
http://www.bnqt.com/videos/detail/SIA-2012-Jones-Backpack/1421967136001
Check it out.

I'm just surprised it's not an airbag pack.

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

Post subject: Re: New Jones Splitboard Backpack
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:09 pm 

I wonder if it will fall apart like his boards do?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:29 pm 

straightliner wrote:

Seriously dude, WTF does that mean? Are his boards really falling apart? I have one and it's f'ing
bomber. They had some initial quality control issues, but give me a break.

Pack looks nice, but similar to the features of some other packs....not sure if anything really sets it apart. Might consider it in the future when I need to upgrade, but probably will look to an airbag pack at that time.....

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm 

The spectra fabric is badass :rock: Similar design to many but incorporates what works, is light, and is bomber. After checking it out, sure, there are others out there, but this one is definitely a contender.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 pm 

Nice shredgnar, I would like to take a look at it in person sometime. Jones has been at it for awhile and should know what boarders are looking for...

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:03 pm 

stoudema wrote:
straightliner wrote:

Seriously dude, WTF does that mean? Are his boards really falling apart? I have one and it f'ing

Bring it to my neck of the woods and watch the bomber explode. And thanks for agreeing on quality as Ive yet to see one survive my local mountain, might be the same reason that no shops around here carry them. I know I want locally made with quality control under my feet when it counts. (You know something like NS, Venture or winterstick). Didnt mean to get off topic or offend anyone, Im just sharing what Ive seen.

Anyways, the bag looks sick, but its hard for me to buy something with a brand that has a track record of poor quality control with new products. Plus do you think the "creator" will even be using it? All of his packs in Deeper had ABS or an avalung. Why would he downgrade his safety? I will take my BD outlaw with avalung over his copied version of it anyday, plus the extra 55 min of oxygen is nice. Just my :twocents:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm 

I have to agree with the "downgrading his safety" remark and therefor strengthens the lousy quality control JONES brand has in place. He wanted to create the ultimate backpack, to me that means it incorporates comfort, utility, and safety. At least make it easily incorporated with an avalung or abs system.

http://www.thegreatbenandhannah.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 pm 

straightliner wrote:
stoudema wrote:
straightliner wrote:

Seriously dude, WTF does that mean? Are his boards really falling apart? I have one and it f'ing

Bring it to my neck of the woods and watch the bomber explode. And thanks for agreeing on quality as Ive yet to see one survive my local mountain, might be the same reason that no shops around here carry them. I know I want locally made with quality control under my feet when it counts. (You know something like NS, Venture or winterstick). Didnt mean to get off topic or offend anyone, Im just sharing what Ive seen.

Really man? I guess Montana is the only place with mountains :scratch: Apparently my experiences of splitting over the last 7+ years don't qualify me to comment on my own gear.

www.splitboardoregon.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 pm 

straightliner wrote:
Bring it to my neck of the woods and watch the bomber explode. And thanks for agreeing on quality as Ive yet to see one survive my local mountain, might be the same reason that no shops around here carry them.

Because "your mountain" is bigger and badder then anywhere else? :roll: You are kind of coming off like a douche. Just saying

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:00 am 

The mountains around here are bad as in they eat boards.Thats all am saying, never claimed it to be better, it just pushes gear to it limits and It takes a true bomber to make it through a season here . We arent spoiled with +150" base here, therefore when you push it hard you can end up in sketchy places that can destroy boards. From what I have seen, heard, and read they just cant handle a true beating. Didnt mean to have a douchy opinion on my experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 am 

hm, nothing spectacular for me here, but that "rear entry" sounds pretty handy to me! i also like the big pockets on the hip belt, but i guess a lot of other backpacks have that too. mine doesn't, which sucks a bit.
too bad it doesn't feature an airbag system... i'm probably not going to get this backpack, because i want to buy an airbag backpack as soon as i can afford it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 am 

I have heard it mentioned that an ABS pack might be in the works for Jones as well but that's just an unsubstantiated rumor, don't hold me to it. For them to offer a new pack in their first year that is designed by them (and not just a pack from another company with a jones patch on it) is pretty sweet.

AFAIK BD is the only one with a built in Avalung and I think they might have rights to that but I'm not positive.

ABS packs and Avalung packs definitely have their time and place, but on long day trips where weight is important, I have yet to find an ABS pack that I would want to carry for many hours. Maybe an avalung but honestly, if I am traveling miles and miles from a trailhead to ride a line, you better bet your ass that I am going to do everything in my power to be absolutely sure that I will NOT be in an avalanche to begin with. ABS and avalung are precautionary measures but the first goal is to not get into an avalanche.

If you look closely at this pack and handle it, it feels like quality. The material is similar to the Cilo gear packs that are very durable and light. It is not a very heavy pack for all of the features that it does have. And it feels very durable, it might even be able to stand up to the hardcore Montana mountains.

BTW, there are a hundred and one ABS pack options to choose from next year, it's pretty amazing how many are popping up everywhere. Some of the packs are built on an ABS skeleton/harness that companies can just zip on whatever design they want onto the frame. I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews coming out way very soon. Pretty cool stuff coming down the pipeline in the ABS market. It'll also be interesting to see how this changes people's views on avalanche safety.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:48 am 

From what I can tell from the vid, that looks to be a strap-by-strap and zip-by-zip copy of the BD Outlaw. Anyone fondle one of those Jones packs and who knows the Outlaw and can point out why one would be better?

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!