Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jones solution
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 am 

I used to hike with snowshoes but splitboarding looks like a far better option. To that end I bought a couple of Jones solutions for my wife & myself. Not having used a splitboard before I was a bit suprised to see a thin gap down the middle of the boards that the light shines through, the sides only touch where the board clips are.
I would appreciate some feedback from more informed persons on this issue, is it supposed to be like that?

Post subject: Re: Jones solution
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:56 am 

Not too big a deal. Is it this years solution or last years? Did it come with k-clips or Voile hooks? I have yet to see a board that had a big enough gap to be worried about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:11 am 

Hi Shredgnar

The boards are this years crop with karakorum clips & hooks. The gap is only about 1mm but not having any experience with splits...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:52 am 

I wouldn't worry about a 1mm gap at all. Most splits have a little bit of a gap and the mellow mag on those boards makes it kinda hard for them to line up perfectly but it doesn't create a problem and I think it's worth it. This years crop are definitely quality boards. Happy splitting!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:12 am 

Thanks for your input, I thought also that the magne traction might make it difficult for a seamless fit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:57 pm 

I had never looked at a Solution before, but I walked by one today and pulled it off the rack to check it out. The two halves fit together fine with minimal gap. The topsheet had a lot of small lumps in it like chunks of cured epoxy got sandwiched in there, and I was really surprised by how hulled the base was. There was a very significant bow/arc to the base going from one edge, across the bottom of the board, to the other edge. Sort of a 'sideways' rocker. Think of a ship's hull. Is that part of the actual design? I've never seen a board like that before, but then I don't really keep up with the cutting edge of deck design. It seems like it would take forever to get from edge to edge, though maybe shoving a pair of bindings on there would pull things flat, or maybe it was made that way...?

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 am 

My 2012 Solution has various inconsistancies in the topsheet too.
I think it's something to do with the fact tht Jones are using a thin film topsheet to save weight, rather than the usual plastic topsheet used in traditional construction.
I've decided not to let it bother me after after my Solution handled 9 back to back days of pretty hard riding in the French Alps and came out looking good.
All great performance and no issues so I'm a happy customer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 am 

The solution rules. Whatever defects may come along are worth it for the ride. It's SUPER quick edge to edge. Not a ton of pop but it's not a full camber board either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:50 pm 

BGnight wrote:
The solution rules. Whatever defects may come along are worth it for the ride. It's SUPER quick edge to edge. Not a ton of pop but it's not a full camber board either.

Agreed! Great ride (Flag, same board). Going to be more "maintenance" than the average board, but seems to be worth it so far. I do miss the pop of a full cambered tail though. They could get ride of the tail rocker IMO to stiffen it up. Sidecut could be a bit longer on the 58 too (I prefer the 9m on the hover). Nose is fantastic though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:00 pm 

So your boards don't 'hull' when there are no bindings mounted? If I see that board again I will try to measure how far from flat the base seems. I don't think it was my imagination, but the mind is a funny thing....

Edit: I looked the board over again and using an inclinometer app I measured the hulling at 1.9-2.0 degrees, so not much, and it was not hard to push the board flat which I assume the bindings would do. There were some gaps between the base and the metal edge in a few spots though. I hear all the time that the boards ride awesome, but it is hard to get past the fact that the assembly looks like a kindergarten class project. I may try one some day to cure my curiosity and taste the koolaide.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28 pm 

I haven't noticed any hulling with my Solution.
With the bindings on (Light Rails) it's completely flat, at least to the eye.

As happy as I am with it's performance. it's a bit slow on anything but the serious steeps.
I just saw Method's mention of the same thing in his post here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12719

It's been colder than average in the Alps recently and I was riding in -5C to -20C.
At the time I wrote off the slowness as being down to using all temp wax but given Method's mention of his Solution's slowness I thought I'd ask if anyone else finds the Jones slow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 pm 

I think slow is exactly the wrong word to describe the flagship :scratch: ...you must be talking about a bad wax job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:11 am 

Could be my lack of riding skillz :wink: