Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:02 pm 

What do you think of the construction??? If something were to happen it would be a bitch to get repaired/replaced. Im looking for a big mtn solid board, and I've never ridden a board with a sidecut rad longer than 9.3m on my solution 168, but im always up for trying something new, and I love the theory behind it, i've never understood why snowboards had such small sidecut rad vs skis. Considering a Venture Odin, a Furberg, or maybe something custom. I want something bomber (unlike my Jones, which is pretty tore up after 15 days of riding), lots of rocks up here in montana :) Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 pm 

mtsurfr wrote:
What do you think of the construction??? If something were to happen it would be a bitch to get repaired/replaced. Im looking for a big mtn solid board, and I've never ridden a board with a sidecut rad longer than 9.3m on my solution 168, but im always up for trying something new, and I love the theory behind it, i've never understood why snowboards had such small sidecut rad vs skis. Considering a Venture Odin, a Furberg, or maybe something custom. I want something bomber (unlike my Jones, which is pretty tore up after 15 days of riding), lots of rocks up here in montana :) Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

It is pretty hard to speculate about board construction on a new board... The furberg does have a full wood core, with no joints visible when I cut it in half to split it. Unlike many boards , the wood core continues all the way to the tip and tail. I asked Daniel about the sidewalls, and he confirmed they are UHMW ptex, like most quality boards these days. Mine came in clean, with no cosmetic flaws, no warps, and nothing which would indicate a quality problem. After cutting, both board halves still matched in terms of rocker profile-this is a good sign that the laminate was not assymetrically stressed during the layup and pressing.
I can vouch for the durability of Venture-they are not the lightest boards around, but they are bomber with very high quality construction, made in Colorado by snowboarders-Venture makes their own cores from carefully sourced and selected wood and pays a lot of attention to construction details.
Of course, hitting rocks hard is going to put the hurt on any board...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:14 am 

I recieved a mail from Daniel 5-6 days ago with apoligize of not sending me a tracking number on my order. This was due to leaving in a hurry to catch a plane.
So he is probably "on the road" somewhere :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 am 

Yeah, i certainly don't fault Jones for the core shots, that was all me. But, as compared with my libtech, which has probably 70 days on it, there is NO question that the durability of the Jones base materials (or the way it was built) are inferior. both of the 2 core shots ive gotten in the Jones have been about a huge 6 in strip. On my Lib, only small chuncks, easily repaired. Just looking for another board with similar base quality as the Lib.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:46 am 

mtsurfr wrote:
Yeah, i certainly don't fault Jones for the core shots, that was all me. But, as compared with my libtech, which has probably 70 days on it, there is NO question that the durability of the Jones base materials (or the way it was built) are inferior. both of the 2 core shots ive gotten in the Jones have been about a huge 6 in strip. On my Lib, only small chuncks, easily repaired. Just looking for another board with similar base quality as the Lib.

OK, so no one is likely to have enough experience with furberg yet to answer the base durability question...
I can totally vouch for Venture's base quality-it is easily the equal of any base material I have ever owned-one hits stuff, and expects to see a core shot, looks at the base, and perhaps finds a small scratch. This is one area where Prior has let me down, their bases seem quite weak in comparison to Venture. One other thing, if you are constantly hitting rocks, I advise frequent hot waxing-bases which are deeply saturated with wax are much more resistant to rock damage. In Montana you often ride in cold, dry, snow, as we do here in Colorado. Cold, dry snow is very abrasive and puts the hurt on bases-in these conditions I try and hot wax for every day of riding, and doing so really seems to help the base resist damage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:46 pm 

i definitively hot wax, but wow,,, once per ride, thats impressive. Thanks for your thoughts, would love to know what you think once you have a few days on the Furberg, both of the ride and quality. Have you ridden boards with that long a turn radius, or even anything close?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 pm 

mtsurfr wrote:
i definitively hot wax, but wow,,, once per ride, thats impressive. Thanks for your thoughts, would love to know what you think once you have a few days on the Furberg, both of the ride and quality. Have you ridden boards with that long a turn radius, or even anything close?

Have you noticed, with a fresh wax job, after a day of riding cold/dry powder (like we get mid winter in the Rockies) that your base can look dry and abraded at the end of the day? This kind of snow is really tough on wax...
Never ridden a snowboard with quite as big a radius, but very close... back in the 80s and early 90s, I rode race (slalom) boards like the Burton Safari and Burton M6 for freeriding, as the alternative back then were very soft, very short freestyle boards (there were no "freeride" boards yet)-these race boards had long radii sidecuts, probably around 14-18 meters. I still have an M6 here, and comparing to the furberg side to side the sidecut is not much different-the M6 was one of the best riding boards for powder and backcountry lines I have ever ridden. In powder, you do not need any sidecut to turn, hence the reverse/reverse designs, like the new Venture Euphoria, the furberg has a little sidecut, enough to be able to get around in hard snow and ice...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:04 pm 

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:59 am 

Woke up yesterday to 11" of fluff and my run of Furbergs in the mail. I rode the 161 and am working on a review which will be up before the weekend is over. Anyone interested in demoing one, send me a message. I have the 161,167,173.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:39 pm 

Looking forward to it!
My Furberg currently sleeps in the guest bed in my appartment :cry: Will not see snow for a while cause I`m leaving for 2 weeks work tomorrow...

Post subject: Re: fURBERG REVIEW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:51 pm 

Thanks for the wealth of info and insight you all provide on this site. I almost had the review done, went to preview, had to enter password, but lost all I had written in the process. So now comes the short version. I rode the 162 for 3 days (Fri. Mon. Tues.) over which we received 32". This thing rips! The snow was so fluffy the underlying crust was in play until Tuesday when things settled and warmed. I put 11+ hours of riding in on Mon. and Tues. Overall impressions are floaty, very stable, great shape and specs, quality durable construction, never going to ride a fish or hovercraft again, responsive, 162 is in the quiver probably the 167 also, and on and on. I really like this board and the concepts behind it. And it has a tail unlike my hovercraft. I rode till my legs couldn't take it the last 2 days and left with a huge grin. When I get a chance to go more in depth, another review will be submitted. If you are in the Wolf Creek area and want to demo, send me a message.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:27 pm 

Thanks for the quick breakdown, Permnation. Has anyone else had enough time on their Furberg to post a review? I'm really interested to hear reactions.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 pm 

Taylor wrote:
Thanks for the quick breakdown, Permnation. Has anyone else had enough time on their Furberg to post a review? I'm really interested to hear reactions.

+1 lets geek out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next