Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: pics from SIA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:25 pm 

Premature e-speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:41 pm 

They didn't not let us see the bottom.....I just failed to shoot it....sorry. :nononno:

I'm already thinking about how I can cover the show better next year.

Will himself (and some other folks) have been testing it and his track record shows that plenty of field testing goes into their designs.

Also it should be noted that this is not a final production sample....more of a working sample he decided to show and is still being refined.

In my opinion options and competition are a good thing for the consumer. Without Spark we may not have seen Karakoram, and without Karakoram we may not have see Edison. I love the way both companies are pushing each other and also pushing Voile. There's even rumors of other companies looking at a split binding.

Win win for the users! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:52 pm 

BGnight wrote:
barrows wrote:
Wow. This system is almost enough to make me consider riding soft boots... Although my setup is still going to be over a pound lighter with my hard boots...

If the Edison proves to be reliable and somewhat resistant to icing up it will be everything that "K" tried to be, but is not...

Except you have to ride hard boots :wink: :lol:
and Karakoram IS reliable, resistant to icing, and performs better than any Spark binding (IMHO) Not sure where you're getting your disinfo.
Karakoram = proven
Edison = no one fucking knows a damn thing especially since they won't let us see the actually mechanism that attaches to the plate.

BG, I was (mostly) referring to "K"s relative lack of stance options. My riding partner with "K" often has trouble with icing issues... Like I said, "IF"...
You have no idea how my boots ride, 'nuff said on that. My system is over a pound lighter than any soft boot set up.
I am sure that "K" will improve as well-I hope that they will improve the baseplate design such that it allows more adjustability in terms of stance width/setback. Additionally, they would do well to allow the highback to be adjusted for less lean when touring.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:36 pm 

bcrider wrote:
In my opinion options and competition are a good thing for the consumer. Without Spark we may not have seen Karakoram, and without Karakoram we may not have see Edison. I love the way both companies are pushing each other and also pushing Voile.
Well put!

I am not usually on-board for new fangled stuff, but sign me up for the Edison! I'm a DIY guy and love the idea of no extra drilling, and with boys at Spark behind it, I think its a no-brainer.

But can a brother get some low-backs? :doobie:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 pm 

barrows wrote:
My system is over a pound lighter than any soft boot set up.

Oh no you did not just say that. Ready to dust off my scale anytime.

Post subject: Re: Spark Edison Binding
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:58 pm 

Truly eloquent. Way to go, Will.

Arch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 am 

So if you saw the bottom how did it look.
prone to clogging, simple, robust????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 am 

Whatever happened to all the Voile conspiracy theorists???
Isn't it time they start bashing Spark and Karakoram as sinister mega corporations that are stiffing the sport by not giving away their system patents?
Let me guess, Will and the Kloster Bros have your homes under surveillance and you're certain that their vast network of henchmen are monitoing you're internet activities...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:19 am 

Snurfer wrote:
Isn't it time they start bashing Spark and Karakoram as sinister mega corporations that are stiffing the sport by not giving away their system patents?
Let me guess, Will and the Kloster Bros have your homes under surveillance and you're certain that their vast network of henchmen are monitoing you're internet activities...

No, I think it has more to do with the fact that these companies are actually trying to improve the sport with creative innovations, rather than sitting on a patent for a design for over a decade, not improving shit, and charging everyone else royalties. Show me one part of the design that Voile improved since they got the patent. This is all I can think of :lol: : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7408&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=voile+plate+changes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 am 

shredgnar wrote:
No, I think it has more to do with the fact that these companies are actually trying to improve the sport with creative innovations, rather than sitting on a patent for a design for over a decade, not improving shit, and charging everyone else royalties. Show me one part of the design that Voile improved since they got the patent. This is all I can think of :lol: : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7408&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=voile+plate+changes
My humblest apology to anyone who missed my jest at the expense of those misinformed people jumping to the conclusion that Voile is an evil mega corporation focused on screwing people... I'm not hating on Will and the Klosters... If anything I commend them for doing something rather than sitting on their asses crying about Voile... and I'm definitely NOT disputing Voile's apathy and apparent disinterest in the sport...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 am 

WARNING: CONSPIRACY THEORY! :P
(to shredgnar) Yup, and it seems they might have intentionally held back ideas they developed just cuz it was more cost effective to sell pucks. A little birdy told me Voile employees had told them they developed Edison and Karakoram ish/like systems years ago (roughly paraphrased and heresay :wink: ). If that's true, then it's obvious they are just a ski company out for a buck. There's rumors they're coming out with an interface soon but I could care less cuz I'm happy with what I got and I know Will, B and T, and who knows who else will advance the sport with continued progressive technology. Imo, Voile is obsolete to the future of splitboarding. There's no use for 'em anymore except DIY...well I'm sure they make a mean tele ski. Even if they come out with some uber top secret interface that will blow everything outta the water I wouldn't buy it. They slept too long to think they can get back in the game. Sorry for the hatin' but what little snow we have fucking sucks and I have diarrhea and a goddamn hemmorhoid.

After thought: What company is gonna step up and make an interface with their OWN insert patterns and not off the original puck inserts?????? If a company can team up with a reputable board company or two and change the inserts that will be the biggest game changer I would think.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:47 am 

barrows wrote:
singlewhitecaveman wrote:
barrows wrote:
If I were to dream, all I would want is a lightweight, low profile, plate binding option for the Edison interface!

That would be nic. I'd settle for integrated slider plate with direct mount bales. Seems so easy to make, yet so far away......

Yup, a nice CNCed plate as described, with bolt on bails with should mounts, would work very well. be adjustable (with different threaded mount holes), super light, and very low to the board.

I emailed Will the other day asking him about this. hardboot bindings are amazingly simple compared to strap bindings. it would take all of about half a day to design a HB binder for the Edison.

Snurfer wrote:

so far splitboarding has one of the most bizarre fan-boy following i've seen in the snow sports community. everyone has to pick a favorite team.

shredgnar wrote:
Snurfer wrote:

Did someone at Voile fuck your little sister or something? seriously dude we all agree that Voile hasn't done much to improve upon their original designs, and yeah it is going to bite them in the ass very soon. But do you really need to make a big deal about it every time their name is brought up? Oh and as far as royalties, if you think for one second that Spark or Karakoram wouldn't charge other companies for the rights to use their system and patent you are fucking crazy.

Plus I know that you wanted to see "voile and their shitty patent" go, but I think it will have a place in splitboarding for at least a few more years. it is the only system harbooter's can use at this time(yeah yeah I know hardboots suck etc..), and it is WAY cheaper than the K or Edison system. The edison is great for DIY it looks like, but then again what DIY first time split builder will want to pay $600-$700 just for an interface?

I would love to get rid of pucks though, hope the Edison is a good first step towards that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:53 am 

BGnight wrote:
Sorry for the hatin' but what little snow we have fucking sucks and I have diarrhea and a goddamn hemmorhoid.

That explains a lot!!! :P

ps. Voile approached me about doing an article about the whole licensing thing. There is so much misinformation about it all that they want folks to know the real deal. Even I, with 10 years of splitting and a self proclaimed know-it-all was very misinformed about what is patented and what is not. People will be really surprised.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next