Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: pics from SIA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:32 pm 

I would think they would've included some sort of technology that works with chomps or any split crampon for that matter.

People were and still are so worried about the complexity of karakoram's incorporated pin mechanism and now praise spark for doing the same thing on this interface. It is quite silly.

I am glad to see some more technology incorporated into interface technology. :thumpsup: These are pretty!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm 

i'm a k'ram owner and am totally sold on the system, but that edison system looks SICK. nice to see spark step it up. this kind of arms race is only going to benefit the consumer. can't wait to start hearing about field tests

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:02 pm 

I just hope there getting this shit out there having guys yo, yoing the shit out of it, in and out over and over again and again in all conditions all year long. Not just pro's who'll take it out for a sunny one and done pow day when there not riding lifts and heli's.

I say this cause I'm a little bummed on my sparks boots. Don't get me wrong there riding fine and everything I just really like from what I can see the new XV boot a lot better and now I'm stuck with first production lugs. It seems they put the first production out, everyone on here screamed the same obvious things and low and behold they put out next years boot with everything they should have had in the first place. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me but then again I'm a little bummed I didn't wait a season for them to work out the kinks. Just thought maybe they would have dialed that earlier.

Good stuff looks absolutely beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 pm 

:scratch: kind of reminds me of the old burton interface, but better.

like UTAH i'm wondering if anyone tested it? or if is like burton and it looked good on the floor so they figured it would work in all conditions. Spark has a great track record thus far so I hope that isn't the case. Let's see some feedback from the snow!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:25 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
like UTAH i'm wondering if anyone tested it? or if is like burton and it looked good on the floor so they figured it would work in all conditions.

The Edison binder has indeed been tested on snow. Like all Spark products it will get ridden all this season and the design continually tweaked up until production begins in summer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:32 pm 

tiltedworld wrote:
This...making me think twice now about fully mounting up my DIY project this year. I just taped/measured everything for cutting this weekend.

They better start up tooling now because anyone the orders the Edison is going to want about 5 sets of pucks! They should at least have 2-3 ready for each shipment!

Did you like their 3 and 4 piece poles?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 pm 

Stoked to see the skins are happening, and the poles look great, aiming to get a pile of this gear down to New Zealand for 2012 season to keep the NZ splitters happy!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 pm 

can we change the name of this thread?

Spark Edison

It doesn't seem to have many more pics here other than the Edison, easier for reference years down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:24 pm 

Wow. This system is almost enough to make me consider riding soft boots... Although my setup is still going to be over a pound lighter with my hard boots...

If the Edison proves to be reliable and somewhat resistant to icing up it will be everything that "K" tried to be, but is not... Especially interesting is the flexibility for DIY use. And, it looks like Edison will usher in a new era of stance options for factory split riders: completely independent adjustment of angle and width will allow for many more stance options, and the ability to get exactly the width and angle which one wants.

If I were to dream, all I would want is a lightweight, low profile, plate binding option for the Edison interface!

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:28 pm 

barrows wrote:
If I were to dream, all I would want is a lightweight, low profile, plate binding option for the Edison interface!

That would be nic. I'd settle for integrated slider plate with direct mount bales. Seems so easy to make, yet so far away......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:34 pm 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
barrows wrote:

That would be nic. I'd settle for integrated slider plate with direct mount bales. Seems so easy to make, yet so far away......

Yup, a nice CNCed plate as described, with bolt on bails with should mounts, would work very well. be adjustable (with different threaded mount holes), super light, and very low to the board.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:53 pm 

Yep want to see the real-world tests. Very slick looking engineering, but I just don't see how it can be "self-cleaning" like sliders/pucks are. Will and the boys are really smart though so there must be something going on that is not apparent in the video.

I'm sure all of us former Burton users will tell you that slick engineering is worthless if you need to spend several minutes getting it immaculately clean before it will seat properly. :banghead:

Also whatever happened to creating a releasable binding so we don't get sucked under the avalanche debris by our boards??? THAT would be worth getting really excited about!!!
:thatrocks:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:05 pm 

barrows wrote:
Wow. This system is almost enough to make me consider riding soft boots... Although my setup is still going to be over a pound lighter with my hard boots...

If the Edison proves to be reliable and somewhat resistant to icing up it will be everything that "K" tried to be, but is not...

Except you have to ride hard boots :wink: :lol:
and Karakoram IS reliable, resistant to icing, and performs better than any Spark binding (IMHO) Not sure where you're getting your disinfo.
Karakoram = proven
Edison = no one fucking knows a damn thing especially since they won't let us see the actually mechanism that attaches to the plate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next