Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: boot set up
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:36 am 

Could you hard boot guys comment on what set up your riding currently?

I'd like to get ONE set of hard boots to ride and randonee in. I hate having different shoes for every freaking sport...(I use my mountain cleats for the road bike, for example)

I'm thinking a Dynafit toe piece is a good idea for skinning, so that narrows the boot selection down a little.

Any brand and model recs?
Any mods you make (straps, liners etc...)?

What's the current 'state of the art' for hard boots?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:20 am 

Garmont Mega Rides...

Plenty of forward lean, and Paul Parker designed them to have a littel bit of side-to-side flex in the ankles.. good for hard-boot boarding.

I also use the Bomber, Splitboard Bindings, because I like to carve. If you plan on running low angles and trying to emulate the sof-boot style, then you probably want the Voile, Mtn. Plate bindings. They create a lot of flex and give.

Zach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:22 am 

In my opinion, buy the tallest boot that fits you the best. Fit is paramount, all else is details. I like tall boots as I push bigger sticks and raceboards, and the taller cuff helps with pressure points for me. I'll be trying the Crispi Freeride this season (not Dynafit). I have a narrow, low volume foot, and it was between these and the Garmonts G-Ride. The Mega Ride is a great boot as well if you need Dynafit.

Unlike skiing, a little extra flex is OK, so things like the Tornado and Adreniline are not my cup of tea, to stiff laterally.

I had a pair of Scarpa Denalis that I liked, but they were to short in the cuff and to big in the foot for me. If Scarpas fit, the Magic (or what ever they call it now) is a great Dynafit boot.

I'm also 100% sold on Booster straps instead of standard velcro power straps, though they are a little heavier. Everything seems to come with a thermo liner, so thats almost a non-issue now. Thermo's are not as stiff as trad liners, but again, for snowboarding thats a good thing in my mind.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will likely have an inch to 3 narrower stance then you are used to, and will probably run steeper angles (35* and up, usually). Neither are bad, but you might want to experiment before doing real mods to your split. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:36 am 

sweet. thanks a lot for the info.