Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: pics from SIA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:16 am 

$700 :scratch:
Fannie mae here i come
NOT
Guess I'll have to stick with rughty's triad bomber plates and custom canted overlap pucks :thumbsup:
$1000 board, $700 binders, $200 skins, $150 poles,
Thank god dirtbag bums like me have diy ghetto options

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:47 am 

The ease of a DIY split with that setup will be the shining star I think. Now you only need to add your chinese hook bolts, tip and tail rivets and a couple T nuts for the touring brackets. Genius!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:00 am 

^^Totally agree, Sparks definitly upping the ante next year. Being able to throw the pucks onto any DIY cut board without adding extra t-bolts for the stance is Plush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 am 

I don't think the interface is going to be $700. Jeff quoted me a much lower price that he was shooting for. A few hundred less...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 am 

Is it a complete with tour mode hardware?
I am thinking of mounting the ride pucks on a solid board choosen for the day out, and throw the tour mode hardware on a couple of DIY approach skis. Just for those days when you need travel a bit out from the resort lifts for offpiste.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am 

Pretty clever stuff. Will be interesting to see how it does in the field, with ice and snow. Price will be interesting as well. You would save by splitting your own board, but the bindings/interface need each other so you have to get the bindings instead of using what you have. Using the same bindings for your solid is a big plus though.

Not sure how well they will do in the poles department, I was touring on the weekend and I was thinking I should buy stock in black diamonds poles. Seems everyone has them :wink:

Im super happy to see Spark come out with this stuff though, they will be giving the other companies a big run for their money if they work well outside.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 am 

I agree think this system looks pretty amazing and I will be curious to hear people's experiences with any snow/ice packing issues as they see some vert. If there is some sort of a camming mechanism or a way to adjust the locking system to deal with parts that wear in, the interface could be rock solid.

I will also be curious to see how they do a crampon. Right now there is a gaping hole in the base plate where the Mr Chops riser bar would touch the binding.

Hopefully they will stock up on extra touring brackets and pucks so that people can mount this system on a couple of boards and only have to buy one binding.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:42 am 

I think it'll be interesting to see how well the new system works with DIY boards. Not having to drill out and epoxy for t-nuts will be great, but if the two halves of the baseplate fit flush on a standard board, what happens when you take a sawblade-width kerf out of the middle of the board? Seems like if you use your existing inserts your edges won't mate under the baseplate. I hope they have a plan, the system looks really nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:52 am 

RossM wrote:
if the two halves of the baseplate fit flush on a standard board, what happens when you take a sawblade-width kerf out of the middle of the board?

The bolt holes seem to have a few extra mm of lateral width (i.e. a short slot, rather than just a round hole), so the pucks can be moved horizontally. You may need to do this on a factory split too, since not all boards have totally precise manufacturing tolerances for the insert positions. Unless you use a crazy wide blade, I would guess there will be enough adjustment to accommodate the kerf.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
RossM wrote:
if the two halves of the baseplate fit flush on a standard board, what happens when you take a sawblade-width kerf out of the middle of the board?

The bolt holes seem to have a few extra mm of lateral width (i.e. a short slot, rather than just a round hole), so the pucks can be moved horizontally. You may need to do this on a factory split too, since not all boards have totally precise manufacturing tolerances for the insert positions. Unless you use a crazy wide blade, I would guess there will be enough adjustment to accommodate the kerf.

You're right, just took another look at the photos earlier in the thread. If this system proves to work well they'll definitely be a more user-friendly DIY solution than the Voiles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 pm 

Wow---you guys are right, it is a good time to be a splitboarder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 pm 

aksltxlt wrote:
^^Totally agree, Sparks definitly upping the ante next year. Being able to throw the pucks onto any DIY cut board without adding extra t-bolts for the stance is Plush

This...making me think twice now about fully mounting up my DIY project this year. I just taped/measured everything for cutting this weekend. I may just split and mount the tip, tail, chinese clips and risers and wait before mounting the pucks. I don't "need" to have a spare split right now, especially with the way the Tahoe season has been turning out this year.

philip.ak wrote:
Hopefully they will stock up on extra touring brackets and pucks so that people can mount this system on a couple of boards and only have to buy one binding.

and this...A stack of solid/spilt boards+interfaces and one bomber binding for all of them. We can hope!

KGN wrote:
Pretty clever stuff. Will be interesting to see how it does in the field, with ice and snow. Price will be interesting as well. You would save by splitting your own board, but the bindings/interface need each other so you have to get the bindings instead of using what you have. Using the same bindings for your solid is a big plus though.

and finally this...

JimmyC wrote:
Wow---you guys are right, it is a good time to be a splitboarder.

We're in the early innings for advancement in splitboarding. Unfortunately for our wallets it means lots of upgrades tempting you each season. But hell, it feels like the late-80's, early 90's again with the pace of advancements and I FRIGGEN LOVE IT!!! :thumbsup: :headbang:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 pm 

tis a special time in split history

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next