Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seattle area help
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:22 am 

Hello all. I am looking into moving to the Seattle area for work (Renton technically) and I need some advice on the area. The reason I am on this form is quite simple, I am an avid east coast snowboarder and hiker and have been lurking around this forum for a few years hoping to eventually move somewhere where I could give this sport a go.

Does anyone have any advice of places to live for a 24 y/o male with a somewhat decent Paying entry level engineering job? What do you like/not like about the area? Now to the importent stuff, how would I go about getting into splitting? Buy a board, take an avi class and hope for the best?

I'll be moving out May/June 2012.

Any advice is welcome,
Thanks

Jake

Post subject: Re: Seattle area help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:59 am 

I know you posted this ages ago, but on the off chance you still need advice...

Capitol Hill is a great place to live (I spent 5 years there when I was an entry-level engineer with a decent paying job ;) ), however if you're working in Renton (Boeing?), it's a pretty long commute. The Eastside would be far more convenient for your work, but is a bit of a suburban wasteland, not great for a young, single transplant. I'd say go for Capitol Hill and just deal with the commute. Tons of bars, restaurants and other good stuff, I'd highly recommend it.

As for getting into splitting, join the Washington Alpine Club and take their backcountry travel class. You'll learn avalanche assessment, backcountry travel techniques etc. They'll even lend/rent you a splitboard for the class. It's cheap, fun and you'll meet a bunch of people interested in BC skiing/splitting.

I moved here in 2005 in the exact same position as you - moved out from upstate NY for a tech job at the age of 24 and have loved it ever since. PM me if you've got any questions, I'd be glad to help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:23 pm 

I don't know much about the specifics of living in Seattle but RossM seems to have it right. The only thing that I can add is that the Mountaineers also offer a decent backcountry ski course that's an extension of their AIARE 1 avalanche course. I took the avy course through the Everett chapter of the Mountaineers and looked into the backcountry course. It's a great way to get educated and into the Mountains.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:24 am 

Hey, I'm from VT and happen to be its Seattle right now. And just tonight over dinner my cousin and her roommates agreed that this town is a hard place to be as a single person. Just wanted to throw that out. Also, these mountains are a great place in spring you won't be living the pow pow a whole lot. on saturday I toured at stevens pass and got some great fresh heavy turns. It then rained all night and all day sunday. They know a lot about ice, heck they invented magne traction here.

You should look into a more mid west drier climate for ultimate powder shots. Not that I didn't have an amazing time at Stevens Pass and this town is amazing with its farm to table access.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:50 pm 

Disregard anything about not getting pow living in Seattle. It dumps several times a week most winters, snow isn't always super dry but we probably get nice dry-ish pow as often as some continental areas get snowfall. "Champage" pow is rare but northwest pow will float you nicely and fill in lines that would never get filled in in a drier climate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:33 pm 

Wow, this thread is a bit of a serendipitous find for me right now!:

I will be moving to Seattle with my partner this summer. I am a recovering entry-level engineer myself (albeit half a decade later now), looking for something to occupy my time and pay the rent. It's hard to leave Jackson Hole for a big city, but Seattle really seems like a good place for us.

We've started looking for houses and jobs and such, but not too seriously yet. Looking at Capital Hill, Freemont, Madison Valley, basically must be bike able to Seattle U (where she will be attending), which leaves options pretty open.

We like bikes, I also mountain bike, so we are stoked to move to a place where we can get into all the outside stuff we love. But we don't have many friends who live there, and the few who do are not into playing outside on the level I am.

This thread has been helpful already, but I would love to keep it going and hopefully tap as much of you guys' local knowledge as possible, being the like-minded chillers you are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 am 

Cap Hill is a nice neighborhood, but be aware that on-street parking is impossible. If you drive there for any reason, unless you have access to a private parking space or like to pay outrageous prices in a lot, be prepared to drive around for a while and walking to your destination. I avoid Capital Hill, after having driven in circles for 20-30 minutes looking for ANY space, free or not.