Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: tlt5 vs maestrale
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 am 

on a related note I have a chance to get some scarpa rush for cheap. the rush is the 3 buckle version of the maestrale. i'm still trying to get a feel on just how stiff these boots are? stiffer than the f1?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:59 am 

wasatch surf wrote:
on a related note I have a chance to get some scarpa rush for cheap. the rush is the 3 buckle version of the maestrale. i'm still trying to get a feel on just how stiff these boots are? stiffer than the f1?

Yes, the Maestrale/rush are way stiffer than the F1. Go to a store and flex the boots in your hands. And, take a look at the all the thick stiffening ribs on the cuff of the Maestrale-those are going ot make the cuff really stiff laterally and medially: great for skiing, not so much for snowboarding. The Maestrale is stiff enough for good skiers, skiing fat skis aggresively in the backcountry, it is not a lightweight rando race oriented boot like the TLT5 and F1.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:03 pm 

I think the Maestrales are getting a bit of a bad rap here. It's one of the softest boots in Scarpas AT line up, and the Rush even softer. I've never worn the Rush outside but in the store it flexes like warm butter. The Rush is one of the top competitors for what boots I'm gonna buy this season.
I have spent a couple days on un-modded Maestrales and I think they were decent. Not great, but decent. I know a few guys who ride them and really like them, and I know a few skiers who ride them and think they're too soft. For me they felt a little (just a little) too stiff, hence my consideration of the Rush. The thing is I've spent probably a dozen days in the TLT 5's and they felt real good so I think almost anything might feel too stiff after that. If you haven't tried anything else I think the Maestrales would be pretty nice to ride. While I'm looking for boots I'm gonna continue to ride those.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:55 am 

besty_split wrote:
I think the Maestrales are getting a bit of a bad rap here. It's one of the softest boots in Scarpas AT line up...
The Maestrale is a very stiff boot for its weight. I'm surprised that your skier friends found them too soft. (provided we are speaking about AT boots -- most AT boots I know and most boots that are being used widely (at least in Europe) are way softer than a Maestrale)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:07 pm 

The reason that they introduced the new Maestrale RS is because too many skiers thought the Maestrale was too soft. I know flex index is a pretty useless scale for actual comparisons, but the Rush is 90, the Maestrale is 100, and the new RS is 120. They don't have a rating for the F1s but still the Maestrale is still their second softest boot.