Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to splitboarding. Split setup questions.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm 

Hi everyone! I've finally bought myself a splitboard after getting fed up snowshoeing everywhere. But I haven't any idea if the board was fitted with the parts correctly.

Anyway I have a couple of questions. I just collected the board from the shop yesterday and I noticed right away that the board doesn't line up. ( the left hand part is about 5mm forwards) Becuase the voile interlocking loops stop it from being perfectly aligned. I think this has had a knock on effect with the binding plates as its pretty stiff sliding them on.

The shop has fitted it all on the board so do you think I can adjust it somehow. It doesn't look like it to me.

Pretty pissed if not as I've just paid the full price for it. It's a jones solution with spark r and d bindings.

Does the board shop drill the holes for nose tail clips and the voile interlocking loops. Or does the manufacturers pre drill the holes. To me it looks like someone messed up.

Hope someone can help thanks

Matt

Post subject: Re: New to splitboarding. Split setup questions.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 am 

The manufacturer drills the holes and if they're messed up, the shop that mounted everything SHOULD have noticed that. Post a pic, one the experienced guys is bound to notice if something is off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 am 

Unfortunately, Jones has had some quality control issues, and you may have gotten one that slipped through. You should take it back and point out the problem to shop. This is something that the shop should have picked up if they mounted the gear.

Archie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:05 am 

Ah seen so its a manufacturing fault. Well when I was in the shop I said it straight away its not lined up and they said you need to push it closed more harder but if you look at the pictures thats not possible.

I took it apart and just engaged the one with a gap and low and behold it lines up perfect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75244807@N06/6765107195/

This is the end which has a gap on the interlocking loops.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75244807@N06/6765105025/

This end is tight. If it dont use this end then the board lines up just right.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75244807@N06/6765102311/

This pic to show how much it's out of line.

Right ive just tried to show the pics on the post and it doesn't seem to be working for me so very sorry.

What you think i'm going to contact the shop but wouldn't mind someone proper opinion.

Thanks

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm 

First thing I would ask them is why your board has a Karakoram nose clip and a Voile tail clip. It also has Voile Chinese Hooks instead of the Karakoram clips. Jones are spec'd with Karakoram. Maybe the guy who set your board up is enjoying your K-clips on his board.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:49 pm 

In Europe the board comes as standard with voile clips. They had used my board in the shop setup as half Karakoram half voile. I think the Karakoram ones are better. So I thought I would keep it. i'll change voile one next week. That's if it's even possible to line the board up.

Thanks

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:09 pm 

Got it. Didn't realize they did that in Europe.

Can't tell from the nose pic but is the nut getting in the way of your top Chinese hook locking in correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 pm 

Took another look at your photos. It looks tight.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:33 pm 

No it sit's under no problem. I have been messing around with it and I also went to the shop and compared boards it seems to be just mine that doesn't line up. I'm thinking if I just use the Karakoram clips instead it'll be fine.

To be honest I don't want to have to send it back and have to wait months for a new board. Id rather be riding it. If its cool with all Karakoram then sod it.

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:04 pm 

Badly aligned hooks, if you ask me. I wouldn't accept this board. It also looks like the holes are drilled a hair to close to the inside edge of the board, with will cause it to not "close" tighly.

As for the Voile/Karakoram thing in Europe, I have seen Jones (hovercrafts) sold with 100% Karakoram setups - I even tested one for the Norwegian distributor.

Regardless, I wouldn't accept this board. See if your shop rep is able to get the board halves to align 100% (I'm betting he won't)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:44 pm 

Thanks Trondh

I didn't notice the other thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:14 am 

The K clips do allow a few millimeters of movement between the board halves relative to each other, as has been mentioned. Switching to those would probably mask the poor hole alignment issue. That might make the whole issue go away.

I would suggest to the shop that you would be willing to ride the board as is until they can organize some K clips for you and then swap the Voiles out, and if they dont want to do that then return the board for a new one. Someone, somewhere in the Jones supply chain totally sucks at their job.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 am 

mattg29 wrote:
In Europe the board comes as standard with voile clips. They had used my board in the shop setup as half Karakoram half voile. I think the Karakoram ones are better. So I thought I would keep it. i'll change voile one next week. That's if it's even possible to line the board up.

Thanks

Matt

I just bought Two Solutions for my wife and myself, I bought them from an Italian online shop, I called them first as well as a couple of other places, all in Europe to check wether they came with karakorum or voile, all of them came with karakorum clips and hooks. While setting them up I noticed a certain amount of play lengthwise that was aligned correctly when the bindings are set up correctly.
As has already been suggested here, I also wonder why the originals have been replaced, I also agree that the karakorum clips would probably correct the issue.