Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spark boots?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 pm 

I'm not buying a pair until the price point hits $500. Then I'll know they are dialed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 pm 

I tried a pair on at the beginning of the season, and really wanted to love them. I could not get the lacing system to work for me at all, ended up digging the wire into my hand at one point. I ended up getting 32 Tm-Two's instead. When I get a splitboard and get serious about it, I'll probably pick up a pair of mountaineering boots unless there's a traditional lace version of the spark.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm 

anospa wrote:
I could not get the lacing system to work for me at all, ended up digging the wire into my hand at one point. I ended up getting 32 Tm-Two's instead. When I get a splitboard and get serious about it, I'll probably pick up a pair of mountaineering boots unless there's a traditional lace version of the spark.

you gave up on the laces after one try?

it is terribly painful to lace up frozen laces in the morning if you are doing an overnight. gotta have quick laces or boa.

you know these boots are really just for people doing lots of steep boot packing. if your tours are mostly skinning to the top of your line and then dropping, just ride regular boots. they are perfect for cascade volcanoes, cant believe how they've upped my climbing capabilities.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:02 am 

I admit I could have given them more of a chance in the shop, but I needed new boots regardless, so I didn't want to sit there screwing with them forever. I had no big intention on buying them, was more curious to look at them in person. I could definitely see them being useful for bootpacking, which will be some of what I end up doing (Tucks in NH), but they are gross overkill for me right now.

I'm curious about the quick lace thing though, did it get easier to tighten once the boot's been broken in somewhat? I pulled on the laces really tight and didn't feel like they tightened up as much as they should have.

Post subject: Spark Boots Sale
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:01 am 

Just in case anyone is looking for a pair of Deeluxe Sparks on sale, check out MammothGear.com, then have a bunch of sizes in stock, all 40% off! $209.00
I ordered another pair from Mountain Gear.com as they price matched for me.
My first pair I am going to have to send back, a 4 inch section of the sole is starting to peel away. I can live with fixing the new pair myself if they do it also, atleast they will have only cost 200 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:42 pm 

http://www.zapiks.fr/xavier-de-le-rue-et-lucas-de-2.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:11 pm 

im not really sure if it is the boot breaking in, or me just pulling on the lacing harder, or a bit of both but they are significantly easier to get in and out of since i had first bought them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 pm 

christoph:

"it is terribly painful to lace up frozen laces in the morning if you are doing an overnight. gotta have quick laces or boa."

Not to mention a terrible pain in the ***. BTW, buckles are much easier :wink:

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 pm 

haha i bet the buckles are alot easier, why cant someone make a hybrid leather/plastic boot?
along the same lines as this bc xc boot...

maybe a walk ride mechanism on the ankles allowing for stiff touring up, loosens the cuff to allow natural canting for the ride down?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:52 am 

I have been using the Spark boots this season and really liking them. First and foremost is the great Vibram sole. Simply put, no more slipping in the bootpack or on rocks when hiking. I have learned the lacing system and it is good. They are holding up nicely. Currently they only take crampons with the Flexlock type system (without a lever in the rear), like these Grivel G10 Wide Crampons: http://www.backcountry.com/grivel-g10-w ... ID=2315910. I see for next year you will have more options and be able to use Leverlock like on these Petzl Vasak 12 point crampons: http://www.backcountry.com/petzl-vasak- ... ID=2315910.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 am 

Just got the Sparks in the mail, tried them on oouch! :cry: I really wanted to like these but..... Got size 11.5, compared the footprint to my old 09 size 12 Driver's and the Spark's were slightly larger. I understand they have heat moldable liners and all so they would probably feel better eventually after molding. The lacing system is similar to the Driver's but they don't work nearly as well i had a hard time getting them to feel snug around the ankle's and shins. The sole looks bad-ass I'm sure it performs great. I will send theses back i was really looking forward to some spring hiking in these to. My :twocents:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:36 am 

How are people feeling about the toebox?

Toebox on mine went super soft after 10-15 days riding.

Now cant kick step or tighten front binding, and the sole flexes up to squeeze my toes when scrabling/climbing.

Is there already a thread on this?

Phantom Alpha
Dynafit One

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:16 am 

NorwegianDan wrote:
How are people feeling about the toebox?

Toebox on mine went super soft after 10-15 days riding.

Now cant kick step or tighten front binding, and the sole flexes up to squeeze my toes when scrabling/climbing.

Is there already a thread on this?

Terrible pain! The sole flexed a lot more than expected turning the shell of the boot into a mid foot, meta tarsal crushing guillotine. That & the high mass toe box was like kicking steps with a soft ball. I wouldn't be complaining as much if I would have ordered the correct size...but then there would be the toe drag caused by the squared off sole & heel welt. Someone will enjoy these more than me.
Justin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next