Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: newbie question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:02 am 

Is there an advantage to using the Dynafit toe piece compared to the Voile toe-bail type binding, for hard boots...

I ask specifically because I'm wondering which binding setup is easier to get out of when skinning (avalanche etc...)

I've heard about guys making 'rip cords' for the toe-bail bindings, but how does one get out of the Dynafit toe pieces?

Obviously I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I'm trying to set up a splitboard and not make a lot of changes to it.

From what I've gathered from this site, and people I've talked to...an ideal set up (for me anyway) would be a Prior Khyber split, Voile plate, maybe the stock toe-piece (but would go Dynafit toepice if thought to be good) and hard boots, like Scarpa F1. It would be sweet to have one boot for everything, including Randonee and crampons.

Thanks for tolerating my ignornace.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:12 am 

Well, first of all, welcome!

The advantage of the dynafit toe piece is that you can carry less weight on your feet while skinning (although you will carry more on your back) because the slider plates and HB bindings are on your backpack and not under your feet while skinning.

Post subject: Dynafit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:15 am 

You can also cant the bindings on the sliders as opposed to under the pucks.

Boots are a bit more $$. I considered dynafit toes, but with some under puck cant's and the price of boots, not to mention the toe pieces and haing to figure out how to mount crampons, I think I'll hold off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:05 pm 

do you guys know how the Dynafit toe pieces release? How do you get out of them?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:31 pm 

the dynafit toe pieces release differently on the different settings, ie tour mode and ride mode. They will release will a fair amount of pressure in tour mode, which is where you would be. I believe it is mostly lateral pressure that determines the release. They will release pretty easy if the toe piece hasn't been pulled up to tour mode. Clear as mud?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:29 am 

Not to be condisenting if you already know this, but the Dynafit mod is ONLY for touring in, not for the downhill part. The Dynafit toe piece replaces the touring bracket, but on downhill setting, you are still attached via a toe lever. Just want to put that out before you get to far if it wasn't already clear. A releaable toe mid turn under twisting forces would be, IMO, a bad deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:13 pm 

Eric wrote:
Not to be condisenting if you already know this, but the Dynafit mod is ONLY for touring in, not for the downhill part. The Dynafit toe piece replaces the touring bracket, but on downhill setting, you are still attached via a toe lever. Just want to put that out before you get to far if it wasn't already clear. A releaable toe mid turn under twisting forces would be, IMO, a bad deal.

You would only have the toe piece in tour mode as you are only using it for touring. I believe the toe piece will release will a considerable amount of force in tour mode. I can test it out here at work and find out if someone is actually interested. I don't know if this is directed at me or not but I was saying it will release in ride mode because when using it with the heel piece(ie skiing) you want to be able to release in certain situations. Obviously using this mod for splitboarding you are on mtn plates or the like for the downhill and don't have to worry about the dynafit toe piece. sorry for being long winded, just rtying to clear up a few things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:46 pm 

yes, that's clear. the thrust of my question is related to safety...when in tour mode, and an avalanche start rolling down the hill, i'm wondering how one gets out of the dynafit toe piece to get the boards off the feet...

do you guys use the hard boot bindings with toe bails? can you get out of them in a hurry? i've heard about people rigging up tethers to the toe-bails in order to flip them open when its time to flee...

thoughts?