Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storm Skirts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 pm 

Who likes 'em? I have always cut these useless items out of my jackets, they just seem to add weight and unnecessary bulk. Considering that I wear pack, I really do not see a storm skirt adding any function to a jacket.
Opinions?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post subject: Re: Storm Skirts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:39 pm 

I'm with you, man. I really hate the powder skirt. I'd rather use a bib pant to keep snow out of my back than some elastic band that just rides up over my hips anyway. I make a point of looking technical jackets without a skirt. Sadly my new burton coat has one. I don't have the guts to cut it out though, I fear that would void my warranty and I wouldn't be shocked if I have to use it some day. That said though, that useless flapping skin in my coat really just needs a circumcision.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:18 pm 

utasidian wrote:
I don't have the guts to cut it out though, I fear that would void my warranty and I wouldn't be shocked if I have to use it some day.

In my experience, the Burton warranty is useless. I've had two blown zippers with [AK] gear and they won't fix it. Burton just sends it back saying that zippers don't count. I say the hell they don't.

As far as the pow skirts go, I bought a minimal mountaineering shell a few years back and never had so much snow down my crack as I did with that one. Some shells and coats come with removable skirts. That's a killer feature and the way to go.

barrows wrote:
Opinions?

I fucking hate bibs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:20 pm 

I've got Sessions pants and jacket. The skirt snaps to the belt loops on the pants. I always use this on pow days at the ski area, does a good job of keeping snow and wind out. In the backcountry, when I have a pack and the jacket is usually only worn on the way down, I don't use the skirt, but don't notice it, either. Unfortunately, it seems like Sessions changes the locations of the belt loops every year, so if you want to use this feature jacket and pants need to be purchased the same season, or do some sewing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:35 pm 

I fucking love bibs, can't go back now. I really only wear my jacket for the descent or if it's really storming out & it's short laps I can knock off without overheating, the snow skirt doesn't see much use regardless.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:05 am 

I'm anti-bib. Don't like the straps under my pack straps and they get to damn hot. I do have some marmots with a removable skirt. Never used the bib though.

As far as powder skirts, I'm all for em. Beats having to cinch down the bottom of your jacket like a dorky skier. Keeps the wind and snow out pretty well. On my patagucci jkt, it's loose enough to not ride up too. I use it almost every day, even nice days, just outta habit. I used to have burton pants and jacket and it was nice to snap 'em together.

As far as weight concerns, I bet your pow skirt weighs less than the extra added weight of bibs with straps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 pm 

Pow skirt is a must for inbounds and slack country, for long tours when I'm not actually wearing my jacket most of the time I switch over to my Patagonia M10 which is about as simple as it gets. I've been riding Volcom outerwear for a long time and love the zip-together connection between the pants and jacket and now I'm on 686 which uses short straps that button the skirt to the pants. I haven't had snow in my crack in at least 5 years now and that makes me happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:58 am 

Pow skirt is essential. I always toss my gloves in my jacket while im shooting photos or transitioning, and if my skins are snowy I ride with them in my jacket. The pow skirt keeps everything from falling out... its like one giant pocket.

I have an orage jacket that has button loops that hold the skirt to the belt loops on my pants, but my arcteyrx jacket has nothing to attach to my pants... it rides up. Kind of annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:13 pm 

My experience has been that powder skirts don't actually work; I've had plenty of snow get up and under them. Worse, I've found they tend to ride up onto my torso--scooting up, but not back down--which is annoying. My Patagonia hard shell has one; I wish it didn't - I never use it. In my experience bibs are the best way to keep snow out of one's pants.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:11 am 

Interesting topic.

I mostly ride Westcomb Revenant bib (removable bib part) w/ full side zippers (can be ventilated) and love it. Also have the same (Westcomb Revenant) hardshell jacket - with removable pow skirt. I don't find it very useful - often have a pack, bib, or both, but haven't thought of removing it. I think I am going to take it out and see if I miss it much... Probably not. I guess I may keep it for non-bib days.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:24 am 

Never met one I liked :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:50 am 

Got a shell that doesn't have one, seems fine for me so far. Like how it packs up a little smaller. Never tried bibs, but I may pick some up. I just tighten the drawstring a little. I think if your hucking cliffs and pillow lines often, a skirt is useful. But my main tricks are turning the board to the left,then back to the right. No snow up my back from the other day in the duff, and the snow was pretty damn light :thumbsup:

Mountain hardware stuff usually has removable ones which is a good option too I think. Wearing a pack also does the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:16 pm 

I love powder skirts! (provided that they are made in a useful manner: long enough, flexible, not riding up.)

Dropping from cliffs, jumping in general is not much fun if you're likely to have snow in your pants when crashing...

I've been searching quite a long time to find a jacket that is both lightweight AND has a well-designed powder skirt: Norrona Lofoten
In case I use it in summer, I remove the skirt. (zipper)