Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: NH/ME region this winter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:40 pm 

yeah
a buddy and i ripped the Sherbie on Mt. Washington this morning. started skinning up around 5 am. the moon was out and really bright. lots of wind blown snow. skin up was mellow but super windy. had to keep moving or you would get chilled. The snow was good. nice to throw some pow turns on the diy splitboard. it was fun. cant wait for more snow! come on winter! FINALLY! if it stays cold and we get some more snow i definately recommend the sherburn trail. Can t wait to get above tree line, hopefully soon! The "Duchess" is mine this year. that line looks soooo rad! done everything else in the tuckerman ravine area but the Duchess.
ps. it was f@%#in cold up there today! Sunday should be stupid freezing. Its been awhile since a gust almost knocked me over. It was super fun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:41 pm 

bring out the good gear for that shit. Layer it up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:04 am 

Sadly, I've decided to sell my gear. Just don't have time to get around to splitting as I had hoped.

See thread below if you're looking to upgrade or get a buddy setup with a splitty. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12741

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm 

Just picked up my first split. Haven't ventured into the east coast back country, but I have quite a bit of slack, and some back country out in the cascades, Mt. Baker and Stevens pass specifically (can't wait to move back there). Also done some cat boarding in BC. All avy gear, including avalung, and potentially an air pack, and taking a class again this fall.

Any white mountain splitters looking for a hard rider? I'll be stationed in the white mountains every weekend with an awd car, no reasonable drive refused. Perfectly capable of riding steeps, cliffs, etc., the more the better. I'm looking to get some good bc riding in before my trip to Silverton. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 am 

North of Boston based splitter here, I spend pretty much every winter weekend in and around the Mount washington valley. 'Been splitting for four years, picked it up during a winter in Little Cottonwood. Don't get too pumped up we don't have anything that compares to the PNW but there are some fun spots out there for sure if we get a decent snowpack this winter - which we are overdue for and my instinct tells me we will. There are some of the better known spots(Tucks, GOS, COG, etcs.) as well as some really good lesser known spots in and around the valley. These spots aren't exactly top secret but I hate putting stuff on the boards, conversely I would love to get some splitters together to trade notes about different zones.

I haven't done anything in VT in the last two winters but would love to this season.

I have my aaire level 1 and WFA, love trying to find good snow and I enjoy the uphill thoroughly. Looking to try to get into some more climbing/mountaineering this winter, I would love to acquire some technical skills to take me into bigger terrain out west and eventually in the alps. Spent a season in LCC, have shredded baker & whistler and have hiked in nearly every region of the alps (have not done any riding in the alps yet posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=11489# ).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:51 am 

I know this is an old thread but was stoked to see people on the east coast. Should be done setting up my split this winter (waiting on panoramic skins) and will be looking for touring partners. Fiancee isn't keene on me rolling solo. I have never toured but been on a board for 15 or 20 years.

I live south of Portland, ME area and generally ride the whites. I've explored, tuckermans, ammo, and a crummy weather.conditions day on GOS. Can handle steeps but don't get on the board as much as I used to due to cost of tickets so little rusty on high pucker factor stuff

anxious to getting out and learning tricks of the trade...including avy knowledge.

Also on the T4T forums with the same name if anyone is on those too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:38 pm 

Hey guys just wanted to let you weekend warriors and locals know I'm full time up here in the Valley. I'm sous chef at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center, parking lot for Tucks and GOS. Always ready for some laps :drool: . I'm off Sundays and Mondays and can tour every morning. I know a bit about the North Conway east side mountains, fun laps for sure.

Supposed to get some more snow on Washington summit tonight :thatrocks: !!!

http://www.thegreatbenandhannah.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 am 

I figured this thread would be startin up soon. I'm up at Tucks caretaking again this winter so the doors are open for any and all splitters. No snow left up here after the weekend but I'm hoping for a repeat of the Halloween storm from last season. Awesome to know you're around Ben and I'll be sure to drop by for some pinkham breakfast after an early morning sherbie run. Think snow.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:07 am 

nice to see some activity in here.

I'm dying to get some turns in, a few of my Seattle friends have already gotten a few days in.

I'd love to meet up with some of you guys once this season starts to pick up. I obviously don't want to head out too far into the back country without at least 2 other people.

What ski areas around are cool with skinning, both in season and out? I've read that Wildcat is okay with it. I'm going to want to spend some time in-bounds to get my skinning legs under me, this is my first season on a split. All my other back country experience has been trudging through deep powder in just boots, not even snow shoes.

I also have my eye on Mt Cardigan, for the AMC trails (I am a NH AMC member), and Mt Highlands, and Mt Whittier. Not too keen on doing things that could get me arrested for trespassing.

I also do intend to spend some time on Jay this year. I've heard patrollers don't mind first-track skinners, any truth to that? I'd love to poach the face chutes on a nice powder day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:48 pm 

nice to see everyone is back. you can tell last year sucked because my last post last year was the only post about actually splitting.
my buddy and i hiked up hillmans on the 19th of march at the beginning of the heatwave. after that the snow went quick. the hike up was walking up a river. couldn't really see skinning that day. it was a great run down hillman's. we did the hikers right section at the top that funnels down between the rock walls. super fun. it was crazy to see what hurricane irene did to hillman's. looks like an excavator moved all thos erocks around. so stoked for this year, supposed to snow balls.

trip to brighton and solitude is happening end of january. super stoked for that.
as for ne splitters, i hope we have something to talk about this year!
if not, i'll come home and tell you how sick utah was.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:53 pm 

i live just north of portland,me ride the River a lot, ride the whites. grew up in north conway so i know a lot of stashes. been snowboarding for 25 years. splitting for 1. just stoked to get out there and shred some powder
weekend warrior, but i have been saving vacation time for this season.

RIP tom sims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:06 am 

dfox wrote:
What ski areas around are cool with skinning, both in season and out? I've read that Wildcat is okay with it.

Hey dfox, came accross the link below on another local forum (Time for Tuckerman) regarding resort skinning. Lists summary of resorts and up hill policies. I think it is an ongoing progress.

http://www.ussma.org/resort-uphill-policies

Seems Wildcat is ok with it but require to have purchased a lift ticket.

Once the snow falls I plan on doing a couple touring practices on a couple golf courses or cemeteries to get my feet under neath me.

Some of the areas I hope to hit are Sherbie, Cog, GOS, Tuckerbrook, Doublehead, Cardigan and maybe a few others. AMC has a backcountry skiing book available for ME and NH that seems to have some good options. Time for Tuckerman (T4T) is also a great source of knowledge, conditions, and trip reports

I have also heard there is good stuff on the Ossipie Range near whittier and hope to get out there as well

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:45 pm 

ridefreeordie wrote:
I figured this thread would be startin up soon. I'm up at Tucks caretaking again this winter so the doors are open for any and all splitters. No snow left up here after the weekend but I'm hoping for a repeat of the Halloween storm from last season. Awesome to know you're around Ben and I'll be sure to drop by for some pinkham breakfast after an early morning sherbie run. Think snow.

Dave

Dave, Glad to see your back for another season. My buddy Mike (just send it on splitboarder) and I got to hang with you early last march we, were both on solutions with karakorams.

dfox wrote:
nice to see some activity in here.

I'm dying to get some turns in, a few of my Seattle friends have already gotten a few days in.

I'd love to meet up with some of you guys once this season starts to pick up. I obviously don't want to head out too far into the back country without at least 2 other people.

What ski areas around are cool with skinning, both in season and out? I've read that Wildcat is okay with it. I'm going to want to spend some time in-bounds to get my skinning legs under me, this is my first season on a split. All my other back country experience has been trudging through deep powder in just boots, not even snow shoes.

I also have my eye on Mt Cardigan, for the AMC trails (I am a NH AMC member), and Mt Highlands, and Mt Whittier. Not too keen on doing things that could get me arrested for trespassing.

I also do intend to spend some time on Jay this year. I've heard patrollers don't mind first-track skinners, any truth to that? I'd love to poach the face chutes on a nice powder day.

You need to purchase an uphill access pass for Wildcat this season its ten dollars. Your better off skinning tucks trail to the sherbie IMHO. Jay is cool with skinning as well as Stowe which was a toll road that you skin up to the alpine zone. If you are looking to get your legs under you I suggest Cardigan. A lot closer to boston and the duke trail is very nice to skin up.

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next