Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inside edges on a DIY split - yay or nay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 am 

I'm about to start my Ride Slackcountry split project and need to make a few decisions as I move forward. The biggest one right now is whether or not I should have my shop inlay new edges on the inside. As someone who's never toured before, I don't have enough experience to decide if they'll be beneficial. I can have my shop do the work for $150. Given that price, is it worth it? I'm leaning yes since I'm trying to do this split the right way to get the performance I expect out of it.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Inside edges on a DIY split - yay or nay
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm 

A properly epoxied or otherwise sealed inside edge is very durable, and if you are touring across icy/variable terrain I think the $150 would be better spent on a set of crampons.

However I've only used epoxied edges, maybe someone with more experience could chime in

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:53 pm 

I also agree to leave the inside edge as is and spend the extra cash on crampons instead, but I'm not super experienced like some of the folks on here

I would imagine it depends on the terrain you plan to frequent, myself, I ride mostly light dry powder below tree line, so not much need for crampons or inside edges, but I did buy crampons for $99 in case the need arises

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:52 am 

I have inside edges and crampons, and nothing makes you rock solid in all terrain, especially see through ice. I think you'll adapt to whatever you have, and like everyone else will have some hairy moments at times. If you have the scratch, get the edges. If you are a scrubby dirtbag like most of us, get the crampons which are way more effective at preventing slippage.

But I've seen lots of guys with DIYs and no crampons just motor up stuff that left me struggling. I think developing your skinning technique is the key.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 pm 

$150 for just the inner edge inlay or to install the full DIY kit with edges?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 pm 

Jefe009 wrote:
I have inside edges and crampons, and nothing makes you rock solid in all terrain, especially see through ice. I think you'll adapt to whatever you have, and like everyone else will have some hairy moments at times. If you have the scratch, get the edges. If you are a scrubby dirtbag like most of us, get the crampons which are way more effective at preventing slippage.

But I've seen lots of guys with DIYs and no crampons just motor up stuff that left me struggling. I think developing your skinning technique is the key.

Lots of good advice here, esp. about focusing on developing your skinning (and splitskiing) technique.
I have used splits with and without metal inner edges and if have no comparison, you won't feel like you're missing anything.
If you get out enough, like Jefe says, you'll adapt to your setup regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 am 

As much as I'd love to have inside edges on my DIY, I think I'm gonna pass. I'll put that money towards skins instead.