Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2nd annual Canuck Splitfest presented by Prior
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 pm 

Awesome event .Great to meet so many of you.Can't wait tell next year !!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqsTlId2 ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 am 

Thanks for the weekend everyone...sick vid Scoho! I wish we could have hit the goods like that but it turned out to be more of an exploration weekend to areas that we had never been.

On Saturday we hit Avalanche peak and were met with a complete whiteout just below the summit. Snowpack felt good with CT's at CTM 17 & 18 (SC), Down 30cm on 1.0mm /'s. Found that Dec. 11th surface hoar layer though down 115cm's and although unreactive I can see why they are drawing quite a bit of attention to it in the bulletins cause that could be an ugly one. Temp up top was -8.6C, obscured skies, S1 and a light southwest wind. My first 6-7 turns were a complete guessing game as we couldn't see shit but as we made it down things cleared out a bit and we were able to rip out to the top of treeline. Our second lap we considered heading over the ridge to NRC Gully and beyond so that we could have caught a line from top to bottom but unfortunately we had to head back down our first line due to zero vis. That meant a tree trash back down through some tight trees and crust at the lower half. One hell of a lot of climbing for a couple of short mellow lines but we got to see new terrain so it was all good.

Day Two we hit Ursus trees and there were some nice lines in there. The skin track was interesting to say the least but we made our way to just below ridgeline as the wind was really starting to whip over the ridge and load the lee side where a soft slab had formed. When we found the soft slab we backed off and headed back into the trees. Didn't do a CT on this face as it was the same aspect as the day before and we were going to be riding in trees the whole way but temp had increased from the day before to -4.2C, broken skies & nil precip. I think they must have brought up that rating to high in the alpine due to the concern of a ton of new snow overnight and the warming temps but the new snow didn't amount to much and the temps rose but not that significantly.

Overall a great weekend where it was good to see new/old friends and it was good to see a bunch of new terrain. Even got to check out a bit of FWT on Friday due to getting stuck in Revy for the morning so that was cool and got to shred Revy for the morning.

Thanks again Wade for organizing everything, another huge success and the presentations from Kyle, Andrew, Karkis and Greg were really inspiring. Just wondering what kind of wine that was that Greg used to convince his wife that he was taking up his adventure. I need to have a talk with my fiance...ha...!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:13 pm 

Very stoked to announce we more than doubled the money we raised last year - click for the recap of the event: http://www.splitboarders.ca/index.php?itemid=87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:42 pm 

scoho and all, that looked like stupid amounts of fun. I don't remember what powder is like down here in the San Juans, it hasn't snowed in what seems like forever. I hope it returns soon because each and every day I lose my mind and end up projectile vomiting because I drink myself into a coma. I'm glad I'll be up in BC in a month, hope your good luck up there keeps up.

Nice work and thanks for the stoke.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 pm 

THANKS WADE

just got back a couple of hours ago. kick ass event. Terrain- (pack all the snow and mountains I have ever seen in all my days in one ten mile stretch of highway and you Have an Idea of Rodgers Pass.) Canons going off, Powder lines in all directions and lots of cool people.
two days out of the lodge and two at the AsulKan hut. Hell of a way to turn 50.

And I hope you had a HAPPY 48th Birthday Greg. Whats the odds? TwoSplitters sitting in the bar next to each other. The "old guys" come to find out ......we had the same birthday Ha Ha :disco:

Thanks to all the people I met, and rode and partied with
thanks to Slimpickens for offering up a ride and nice to meet you
thanks to karkis for helpin out-bad ass slide show too.
nice to meet you and your wife Greg and Ben and Hanna

And thanks to all the sponsors for the goods, demos and support.

Pics to come

I'LL BE BACK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 pm 

Glad you made the trip up TEX. Great meeting you and I'm sure it'll be a birthday your remember forever. I hope the moon treated you well up in Asulkan?

Surprised to not see more photos posted, but maybe the rest of you took more than the seven I did. That's 4 more than last year. Almost everything is doubling up. Only four worth sharing and even that's questionable....

Man down. Shane, a snow saw, a Voile strap and chunk of wood to the rescue when Matt attempts to mix Voile risers with Karakoram bindings

Could this be the start of something special? Will this be next year's Splitfest logo?

Whatcha think? 2013 logo?

What will have to pass as the only action photo. We got beat to the waterfall exit by a few minutes. Too much hand holding and whatnot? Maybe we should just climb faster.

John strategically camped out at the bridge coming out of Connaught. An aggressive two poling fiend was rumoured to have fallen into this creek last winter attempting to board up and over. No word on whether John got a splash photo today because the Moose was getting his 10K ticket punched over on Avalanche this day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:19 pm 

hey Wade i think next years logo is pretty gay.... im sure greg and chancy will love it!

i didnt take many photos at all, but Tina caught a shot...
jibber iz, az jibber duz!
chek yall next year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm 

Is that jibber wearing hard boots?

Any chance you'd be willing to let me post your presentation online? I think I may have seen some people filming it too. Another classic karkis presentation!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 pm 

Another awesome weekend. Cool to meet and shred with some new folk. Thanks for the big effort Wade! The new logo is super positive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:00 am 

yeh Wade hard boots, ya'd hate ta sprain an ankle huckin meat like that!

about posting the presentation... super flattered... but...
the thing with posting the strait power point as a slide show would be that most of the photo content was from friends, some of them try to sell photos, and Douglas' terrain shots are going to be published in his new guidebook in the next few months, so there may be some reservations....
if you mean posting a video of me doing the presentation, with the slideshow behind me as just part of the video, i dont think there would be any issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:37 pm 

My Trip

Landed in Calgary Friday Morning, grabbed a rental and found myself here

The Trans Candian Highway has some nice terrain

Bout four hours later............Im there

Saturday Crew

John, Kyle, Logan, Jeri , Mike and Me

Heading Up Connaught Creek

Lots of Goods here

Even attempted to go above the trees

Riding was best ever. Sorry, no riding shots. Too busy having fun

Sunday

Went Up to Hermit, after we got a Permit

Sundays 'Merican crew

Joined by Kevin, a Calgary Local

Thanks for showing us around Kevin

No Ridng shots on this day either, but we did find a super fun pillow line exit. About 1K of fun fun fun

Was a great party on Saturday night, I didnt win a thing but some left with new boards or bindings or other bling

Monday

Asulkan Hut

Mike Melton ( Swanny) hooked me up for my 50th b-day. We going to the Asulkan hut. Mike points the way

Another Guy came along, You know this Man?

After four hours, the target comes into view

Celebrations

It was nice and warm inside

Like I said before, it was my birthday so Mike set me up with an Oatmeal Cookie and one candle. Good thing He didnt bring the other 49 needed

We were missing some Sierra Friends.

Bout 4am the moon came out and everybody went outside to see the area. I took a crappy night shot of the Hut

Woke up to some views. Looking up the Glacier

And Finally a couple of riding shots

Mike

That other guy

Got back to the Lodge just in time for full sunshine. Finally got to view the terrain

Last thing I saw on the way back to Calgary

and it looks cooler in French

Thanks Wade. Great Splitfest

And Thanks to Swanny for setting this up, Kyle for helping me go into my fifties and those french canadians who sang happy birthday to me at the hut

ILL BE BACK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:02 pm 

Whoa, you guys went nutty at the hutty? I;ve been daydreaming about hitting up one of those huts since we started driving back to airport. Looks killer, better add another thing to my to-do list.

Happy Birthday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:46 pm 

Was awesome to finally meet and ride with you Tex. Had a great time. Glad you guys had fun at the hut. I was thinking about you guys on my drive home on Monday. Wishing I was able to head up there as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next