Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AIARE L2 Course Recommendations
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:12 pm 

Hey All,

Where did you take your Level 2 course? Who were the instructors? Please share any good/bad experiences.

I'm specifically interested in courses in Colorado and Wyoming but in the interest of making this thread useful for others feel free to add info about other locales.

I'm looking at Wolf Creek Avalanche School, Crested Butte Mtn Guides, Alpine World Ascents. Anyone have experience with these outfits?

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject: Re: AIARE L2 Course Recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 am 

Did my L1 and L2 with Markus Beck / Alpine World Ascents, and was very happy with their programs. Our L2 was classroom in Empire, and field work at Berthoud Pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 pm 

Alpine World Ascents or Silverton Avalanche School are the two guys in Colorado I would choose from.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:36 pm 

If you're willing to travel I'd recommend coming up to canada and taking a CAA course
http://www.avalanche.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 pm 

I have taken AIARE L2 Course through Aspen Expeditions and I would recommend them as well.

The best value is through Colorado Mountain College (CMC), they offer both Avalanche L1 and L2 courses at there different campuses. I am taking the Avy-2 again through CMC. There is even a Avy-2 course which includes a trip to the Eisman Hut this March!

That said; I would find instruction to close to where you live and ride. Local knowledge is important and networking with Avy-students after completion of the Avy-2 course.

Local knowledge is important, because:
Avy-2 focus more on snow-science than in Avy-1. So go out now and dig a snowpit and (geek out )identifying the weak layers in the snowpack. (Read more about this in "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, by Bruce Tremper): So local instruction is helpful, in obtaining other snowpack profiles (observations) and compare their profiles to your observations. The true benefit of AVY-2 course is in practicing what you have learned.

The best Avalanche 1 course (in Colorado) I have taken, was through 10th Mtn Huts, which was an extended version of the Avy-1 course at the Sangree M. Froelicher Hut.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 am 

Thanks for the responses. I looked at Silverton Avalanche School, one of my favorite places to ride, but they don't seem to use the AIARE curriculum. I'm sure they do an excellent course but for work/career purposes I want to stick with AIARE.
I'm leaning towards Wolf Creek or Jackson Hole Outdoor Leadership Institute. AWA may still be an option but if we don't get some snow soon I feel like I may not learn as much from the class.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:11 pm 

The Keystone Science School will be offering an AIARE Level 2 Avalanche course on March 8-11! The course will cost $435, which includes instruction, transportation to and from field locations, course materials, and certificate of completion. Lodging and meals are not included. E-mail Audrey Dignan at adignan@keystone.org with any questions. We're working on getting the info for this course up on our website, so check http://www.keystone.org/cfe/kss/community-programs later this week for more information about the course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:27 am 

Hi All
just to let you know that Silverton Avalanche School is an AIARE course provider. We have been teaching about avalanches since 1962 and get the best in the industry to instruct for us. Just as an example we have the AIARE Exec Director, Brian Lazaar teaching at our Feb L2. If you are looking for pro development we are the place to go. http://www.avyschool.org

We are also one of the sponsors for a splitboard fest occuring in Silverton at the end of March.
http://www.facebook.com/SilvertonSplitfest

thanks
Jim Donovan, Director SAS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 pm 

Jim,

Thanks for straightening this out. Not sure where I got the notion that you weren't doing AIARE curriculum but I stand corrected. Wish I realized this sooner as your course is now full and I'm semi committed to another one. Like I said, your part of the state is one of my favorite places to ride!

Cheers,
Mark