Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tlt5 vs maestrale
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 pm 

I've read some of the threads about both of these boots on sb.com, but was wondering if anyone might be able to provide a bit more info on a direct comparison between them?

I have a friend who skis on the maestrale, and chose them over the tlt5 due to it them being stiffer. I would like to try and use the boots I buy for both splitboarding and skiing, and at least to begin with would like to avoid too much permanent modification (this will be my first foray into splitting on HB's).

Appreciate I may also have to go with the boot that just fits better, but are there any deal breakers between these two boots for good splitting performance?

Post subject: Re: tlt5 vs maestrale
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 pm 

For splitting, the TLT5 cannot be beat IMO. As you note, the Maestrale is stiffer, as such, not the best boot for splitting. The Maestrale could be heavily modded to be a good splitboarding boot, but then its great skiing attributes would be lost.

To ask a single boot to be ideal for both splitboarding and skiing is asking too much, what you will get is a boot that is just OK at both, but not great at either. Skiing requires lateral and medial stiffness for edge control, and snowboarding requires lateral and (especially) medial flexibility for absorbing terrain. Do your self a favor, and do not expect to get great riding performance out of a single boot for both skiing and splitboarding.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:48 pm 

I currently ski and ride Scarpa Matrix with no issues and no mods. I too have been eying the maestrale for a legacy to the matrix which I really enjoy riding and hiking in. I just leave them in walk mode and loosen the strap and top buckle when riding.

IMO give it a go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:14 pm 

yeah, appreciate it will always be a compromise, I guess I was just wondering if I could get a boot that would do for skiing but also allow me to see how I feel about hard boots on the split. I guess if I was sold on HB on the split I would try and get the best boot for the job later on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:57 pm 

Well, I honestly do not think that one would get a good idea of how well hard boots can work for snowboarding in the backcountry by using a stock Maestrale.
This is really the difficult truth about hard boots, it takes a bit of a leap of faith, as one must really be willing to modify an expensive pair of boots to really get an understanding of how well they can be made to perform. A stock pair of Maestrales will likely just convince you that hard boots are not what you want to ride.

I ride TLT5s, with some mods, my boots exhibit flex characteristics about the same as Burton Driver Xs, if anything, my modded TLT5s are a little softer than the Driver Xs laced up tight. But a stock Maestrale is going to be very stiff, laterally, medially, and in forward flex, in comparison to a soft boot. Some people are OK with riding hard boots in "walk" mode, and with the cuff buckles loose, I cannot ride a boot like this, there is no rearward support (forward lean=highback support) and with the cuff all loose, the ankle/lower leg gets 0 support until it flexes to where it contacts the (loose) cuff. I prefer a boot which achieves a progressive flex, while still having support around the ankle in a neutral position. To get this kind of support and flex from a hard boot (to where it performs similar to one of the stiffer soft boots) generally requires some careful mods and fine tuning. Once one becomes comfortable with modding the hard boot shell, one learns that just about any type of flex desired can be achieved through careful shell modification.

All of this would be moot if a manufacturer would be willing to take the risk, and produce a really good hard boot designed for backcountry splitboarding from the ground up, unfortunately, the chances of this happening are slim to none any time soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:41 am 

sure, makes sense. the way you describe your boots is the way I would prefer to ride my boots too, but this obviously isn't of much use for skiing.

Do your mods to the tlt5 prevent it from being used for skiing the way it was intended? Can you turn the mods 'off'?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:07 am 

rynogee wrote:
sure, makes sense. the way you describe your boots is the way I would prefer to ride my boots too, but this obviously isn't of much use for skiing.

Do your mods to the tlt5 prevent it from being used for skiing the way it was intended? Can you turn the mods 'off'?

Sure, you could still ski in the modded TLT5s, but they would not ski very well. The mods soften the forward and medial flex-skiers want a boot to be very stiff in these directions. The mods permanently change the boot (cutting the cuff down and slotting the forward lean bar).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 am 

Bottom line is you gotta but boots so buy the boots you like for skiing and give them a shot splitting. Like I said mine ride fine unmodded. I'm way more coordinated than most poeple so that is likely why I tear it up in my unmodded piecies of shit. :roll: :thumpsup: :mrgreen: :thatrocks:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:00 am 

I tried the Scarpa F1s in walk mode for a while. As Barrows says, hardboots in walk mode give you no heel side support. On toe side you can flex the boot forward until it engages the board. On heel sides though, the upper cuff is free to flex too far back. The only stiffness you have is the hardboot liner on heel sides. It would be like riding without a highback on too soft of softboots.

Walk mode will work reasonably well in powder on heel sides. In variable to hardpack conditions though you will not have full control of your heelside edge. You will likely have a heelside wobble that you cannot prevent as the board is able to change its edge angle on the snow by easily flexing your boots without ever engaging your legs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:30 pm 

I think this can all depend on your riding style, weight and conditions. I have ridden both the scarpa magic and the f1 with no mods in walk mode. I felt that I had plenty of heelside support.

buy some boots, try them out, if you don't like them then try some mods.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:48 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
I think this can all depend on your riding style, weight and conditions. I have ridden both the scarpa magic and the f1 with no mods in walk mode. I felt that I had plenty of heelside support.

buy some boots, try them out, if you don't like them then try some mods.

Well said Wasatch. One of the beautiful things about snowboarding is that we can have individual styles. I was careful to preface my comments by stating that I would not want to ride without solid heelside support, hence I do not like riding in hard boots in tour mode (or without highbacks and forward lean in soft bindings). Some folks like lowbacks, I do not, but I would not suggest that they are "wrong" to ride in lowbacks. My preferences are my own, and others may like riding without the heelside support.
The TLT5s, especially, will have very little rearward support in tour mode (less than most other AT boots) specifically because they feature a huge amount of rearward freedom in tour mode-this is one of their great aspects, and makes touring on the flats a real pleasure in comparision to other boots.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:52 pm 

Hey Barrows, What angles do you ride?

cheers, Spencer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 pm 

Spencer wrote:
Hey Barrows, What angles do you ride?

cheers, Spencer

In the following range, exact angles depend on board width, and stance width is slightly adjusted for board length-and for what the various insert patterns allow:

30-24 degrees front foot
15-9 degrees back foot

widths from 20.5"-21.5"

I am 6'1"

I prefer to have my back foot angled forward, as this allows better turning performance, and better vision. BTW, I use the exact same stances for soft boots-I feel no need to change stance when using hard boots.