Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TR: Continental Divide, WY
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:28 am 

Wyoming backcountry is getting into full swing for sure. We have had two weekends of knee to thigh deep powder, and continuous storms for those two weeks. Two feet of fresh! In my opinion, we couldn't ask for a better base than what we are getting. Everyday has yielded three to six inches of new snow that is keeping the depth hoar to a minimum. The BIG lines are starting to fill in, and we are waiting for them.

Our quick pits have come up pretty clean with a crust at 30 cm (from the ground) with all fresh snow on top of that (1-2 feet). We have been keeping an eye on the ground layer, which usually MAD depth hoar in Wyoming thanks to our continental snow pack. There are some crystals growing near the ground, but seem to be rounding and looking good with not much growth. Enough of the snow-nerd-ology and now on with the pictures from this last weekend. One word: DREAMY.

Friday night, my friends Matt and Kerry, stayed at my ranch just down the road from Togwotee Pass. The drive in was sweet and we could see that Togwotee Pass was still getting hammered.

Behind our lodge rests Togwotee Pass and Pinnacle Buttes which you cannot see due to heavy snow and a big storm.

Wysplit_ride and co. head out of the ranch to Togwotee. Nothing but smiles for miles.

Skinning into camp. Not bluebird, but powder bird for sure. Nice to be camping in the elements again.

The women folk stoked to be taking shots in a warm environment.

Outside of camp rests the powder. Looks like the middle of January, but it is ONLY the first of November. SICK!

OH my Jah! Look at that line and it is still puking out. Yah bradda! The goods.
Nick and Matt looking at the candy.

Now to the drop sequence. This was one of the best powder shots that I have skied. A beautiful ridge line with an avalanche path. Excellent in good conditions.
Matt dropping it like its hot. Tele to the people.

A scenic shot of the big lines starting to fill in nicely…Looking forward to dropping these lines in a couple more weeks if conditions allow it.

Nick with the point (I heard everyone's doin' it). I think that he is giddy in this photo…or just ready to giddy up and let ‘er buck stylieeee.

Great weekend with tons of powder shots for sure. Sorry now splitboarding photos this week because I was manning the camera and working on my randonnee skills for the hell of it (definitely not a weekly addiction). Hope you all enjoy and get out and get you some of that! Happy trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:41 am 

Yer killing me with the early season stoke!

but keep it coming. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:02 pm 

I knew we should've kept on driving south. Way to get after it. You guys have a freakin yurt setup or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:08 pm 

Lifelink: What happened to you all. I thought you would be down for sure. Did you get out for a tour? Waiting to see pics if you did.

Not a yurt at all, just a big tent for group camping that my friend uses every once in a while (heavy to carry)! Super cozy though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:14 pm 

Way to get after it. Sounds like you have a good base to work with. Hope it keeps up.

Also, good to see you getting the AT skills going. I'm a total weenie on skis, which really sucks for those situations where it's better to be in ski mode. All my buddies that ski end up getting a good laugh :oops: . I think I'll take a ski lesson this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:59 pm 

WSR- we did get out this weekend but not much to talk about. It was good taining to say the least. LLS and I will try to put a TR together soon. Good to see you had a great week end. I will be going to Larami this weekend, anything that you would hit on the way?

PS we should have gone to WY this weekend :(

They are calling for 10-12 tonight. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:05 am 

WSR- What BH said. I tried to convince them to drive down but we decide to hit something a little closer(near Hebgen Lake). Carried overnight packs and didn't overnight but at least we got some good touring in. That tent looks plush.

We got around six inches at least in town and it is still snowing right now, dawn patrol tommorow for sure probably just skin up Bridger though. I knew it would snow now that I am taking off for a a while.