Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would YOU do?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:30 am 

Im have a little dilema here.I just got a screaming deal on craigslist. A brand new 161 NS SL split with sparks LT blaze and crampons for $850. The $850 is money I kind of have but my wife doesnt agree. I also have a 161 NS Legacy that is one of my resort boards that I could split and would make a split setup about half the cost of the factory split. I know I could pretty much have the sparks and crampons for free by selling the deck by itself. Im torn between the price and performance of a factory vs the cheaper DIY split. Do you think the difference in performance is enough to justify an extra $300-400 or is the deal I got sick enough to just be happy and go with? Would crampons make up for not having an outside edge when skinning in sketchy areas? Let me know what you think!

Post subject: Re: What would YOU do?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:30 pm 

no quastion - bay it :thumpsup: the fun is longer than the disaster with your wife....

burton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:28 am 

Wouldn't have told my wife... That's for sure. Buy it, make her dinner, watch brides maids (Any chick flick will do), candles, backrub.... Problem solved.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:22 pm 

Thanks for the marriage counseling guys. Anyone have input on performance difference?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:34 pm 

straightliner wrote:
Thanks for the marriage counseling guys. Anyone have input on performance difference?

HaHaHaHa, thanks for that.

In any case, Xavier de le Rue rides a DIY split... With quality work, a DIY will perform fine, and be lighter than a factory split of the same size. My plan is to use carbon fiber to cover the cut edge on my soon to be delivered Furberg, this should negate the loss of stiffness caused by the cut.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:57 pm 

Thanks for your input barrows, the furberg looks sick too! DIY just became a little more intriguing knowing that my favorite rider bombs everything with one. Although splitting the legacy worries me a little since it was borderline too flexible to begin with. As for weight, the SL with sparks is suprisingly very close in weight to the legacy with burton co2s.

The marriage counselors helped a lot on this one, looks like I will be selling a bunch of old gear and giving wifey a lot of back rubs too. In the end, I like to charge and I think the SL will handle my style the best. So unless I receive threats of no sex, looks I have a new addition to my quiver. :bananas: