Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prior MFR vs. Jones Flagship?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:33 pm 

I know I'm not asking about splits but I appreciate the level of experience here on the forum. I ordered a Flagship a while back and didn't think I would get it based on delivery delays. I ended up picking up an MFR that I'm super stoked about. Then a few days ago my Flagship shows up. The MFR is mounted and ready to go. The Flagship is still in the plastic.

Do I keep the MFR and sell the FS? Part of me is really wanting to ride the FS before I decide-I haven't been on the MFR yet either as snow has been lacking. Once I break that plastic off the FS I take a big hit if I decide to sell one or the other. In a perfect scenario I keep both but don't know that I can justify that just now. Is it worth the hit I'd take-I'm guessing a couple hundred $$ just to try the FS? I've heard it's 'chattery' or tiring to ride because the rider is beat up more than other boards and that turned me off some to it. Any experience to contribute to the good problem I find myself in? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Prior MFR vs. Jones Flagship?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:30 pm 

Prior MFR? Men's Freeride?

I'd be inclined to keep that since its mounted. Hard to say what you'll lose on selling the jones even after one trip. Since I'm guessing money's a concern if you're worried about taking a hit on the sale, I'd just return the jones and keep on truckin'.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:45 pm 

I actually own both of these. I own a MFR 162W '09-10 and a '10-'11 Jones Flagship 163W and then a Flagship 168W after I delamed two of the 163Ws.

I was really disappointed with the MFR. I found it far too flexible for anything but fresh pow. Anything irregular like ice, crud or corn it was very chattery. And that's what I ride most of the time at the resort unfortunately. That said it was super playful and fun in the right conditions. I wanted to love that board but I just didn't. I have thought about splitting it for pow days but I worry just how soft it would get after being cut!

The 163W Flagship was great! It was super stable at speed and ate up any terrain. It's not very playful though. I also didn't find it to float great in pow but that could just be me. I did break two of them as well but got them warrantied.

The 168W is even more stiff and stable than the 163W. It absolutely rails edge to edge and I really love this this board in any conditions. This board is not playful at all though. It's meant to go fast and make big GS turns.

The disclaimer here is that I'm 6' and about 200 lbs. I am not any sort of jibber and really like to carve. I throw the occasional 3 and various grabs and drop cliffs. That's my riding "style".

I am surprised that people feel beat up by the Flagship I find it effortless to ride if you're going fast and not trying to make it turn more than it wants to. I feel much more beat up on the Prior because you feel every bump.

Honestly the only way to really know what you like and for what conditions is ride them. Beg, borrow, demo or whatever and then you will really know. Otherwise you're just listening to some dude on the intertubewebz. :rock:

Good luck and let us know what you decide and think!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:22 am 

Thanks for the replies! I knew I'd find good experience here. Especially cool that alias has both boards in question. Shows what the interwebs know, I've heard some thread where people loved the MFR and said the FS was chattery. I'm thinking I've decided to keep both and at least try them out. If I don't I'll always wonder and if I do I'll spring for another set of binders and have an extra super-sweet board. Now for some decent snow...