Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Camel Packs or Nalgene bottle?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:25 pm 

ugh, I thought I was the only one who had issues with source valves. I've been given three of them over the last ten years and all have leaked through the valve so badly. I just use a bottle when touring cuz its easy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:05 pm 

If one is working hard in the backcountry, one needs from 16oz. to 20 oz. an hour to maintain optimum performance. I never manage to drink that much, but I try to get close. I usually use a 70 ounce bladder from MSR, except on the coldest days, when it is too difficult to keep the hose free of ice (then I'll use 2, 1 liter Nalgenes, and maybe even a small thermos of hot Chai).
Sports Drinks are a really good idea to keep up performance levels, and the salt in them helps to keep the liquid from freezing as well. If I am planning a really huge day, I decide to carry less liquid, and instead bring a stove to make water. A stove and fuel canister weighs less than a single liter of water, and can produce many liters if you have time to stop and brew up. I find days over about 6 hours it makes sense to bring the stove-I can get by on 2 litres of fluids in 6 hours if I am well prehydrated.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:16 pm 

utasidian wrote:
ugh, I thought I was the only one who had issues with source valves. I've been given three of them over the last ten years and all have leaked through the valve so badly. I just use a bottle when touring cuz its easy.

I had a tendency to let them sit for days on end after long tours from laziness so I tried the cheap replacement bladders from walmart. The walmart accessories replacement valves were awesome. They never leaked and allowed the most flow with the least effort with their twist valve and since it was technically a ball valve, never leaked or froze. I know when I am winded, I don't want to have to work at something as simple as drinking water.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:47 am 

I use this although I have an older version. Works great. I do also have a platypus and like it as well, but seem to use this more often.

http://www.bcaccess.com/bcastore/englis ... ctID=72665

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:32 am 

I have never had any problems with camelbacks, (except for the earwig incident) but I do find them useless on multi day outings. On extended trips I use a Mountainsmith coozy, straps to the pack on the way up and stowes on the way down.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:07 pm 

I'll keep using bladders for slack country and riding in the ski area where I don't want to stop to get out a bottle but for full day trips I'm going back to a Nalgene bottle + a soft Platypus bottle. I was out on Friday with my Platypus bladder and didn't make it more than 10 minutes from the car before my bite valve was frozen. I was purging the water from the hose but it still puddled in the valve and froze there. That's not something I want to deal with, especially on days that I don't mind stopping for a break to pull my bottle from my bag and I can take the time to regulate how much I'm sweating much better.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:05 pm 

For me the good thing about having a bottle IS that you have to stop to drink out of it.
Gives you a chance to stop for a minute. I feel like it really doesn't take very long at all.For me stopping more and moving faster works seems to be more efficient. I like to have two bottles one with water one with some kind of strong energy/sports/nutrition drink mix in it. If its hot thats even better.
Sometimes you see something important when you stop as well.
As for at the resort all that eat ,drink, safety meetings, change your gloves/gloves/layer whatever should get done on the lift or in the line anyway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 pm 

On day trips I usually split my fluids up and have water in the camelpak and also a liter bottle of gatorade in the pack. I like having easy access to water while I'm skinning, but then grab some gatorade when I'm transitioning.
On winter over-nighters I usually don't use a camelpak because it usually freezes at night and is a hassle to deal with in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:05 pm 

I really like the bladders used in Dakine packs. Great tasting and mine has been sweet for 2 years even the hose is clean. I never cleaned it but I empty the old water before adding new.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:04 pm 

Nalgene bottles, I usually have my MSR pocketrocket stove and GSI minimalist backpacking cookset. Boil some on your rests, I mean your surrounded by water and it boils in under 5 minutes. I also have a platypus 100L, but its bulky in my pack and takes up room.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:01 am 

barrows wrote:
If one is working hard in the backcountry, one needs from 16oz. to 20 oz. an hour to maintain optimum performance. I never manage to drink that much, but I try to get close. I usually use a 70 ounce bladder from MSR, except on the coldest days, when it is too difficult to keep the hose free of ice (then I'll use 2, 1 liter Nalgenes, and maybe even a small thermos of hot Chai).
Sports Drinks are a really good idea to keep up performance levels, and the salt in them helps to keep the liquid from freezing as well. If I am planning a really huge day, I decide to carry less liquid, and instead bring a stove to make water. A stove and fuel canister weighs less than a single liter of water, and can produce many liters if you have time to stop and brew up. I find days over about 6 hours it makes sense to bring the stove-I can get by on 2 litres of fluids in 6 hours if I am well prehydrated.

What kind of stove/pot setup are you using? How does it compare to a 1 liter nalgene in terms of size?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:12 am 

grubbers wrote:
barrows wrote:

What kind of stove/pot setup are you using? How does it compare to a 1 liter nalgene in terms of size?

I use the MSR pocket rocket and a canister of fuel, doesnt matter which size. The GSI minimalist is the smaller more compact and cheaper way to go. I also have the GSI micro Dualist, which is a little bigger, more money and serves purpose for 2 people. I like having a little bigger pot plus the bowl and cup that comes with it, just incase I make up a quick meal. Always gotta have a freeze dried (just add boiling water) meal or snack on me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am 

I carry my jetboil SOL on longer trips, or more and more lately just day trips as well. A little of that gatorade powder or some hot coca mix makes a great break (refresh your mind as well). Makes quick work of metling snow for plain water too in all but the highest alt. or coldest day.

weighs little more than my kewl SS 1.5L bottle, and adds a ton of options for drinkables vs. a bottle filled before you leave.

But then again I also just love using that damn stove :headbang: