Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: no wrap around edge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:18 pm 

Hi, been stalking for a while and thought I would join the fun and start it off with a question.

I am working up the courage to split a board, I have an old (late 90's) Jamie Lynn 156 that I want to split as my first trial. I love this board and have used it every year since I first bought it as my main deck and now as my rock board that I love taking out in the spring because I can beat the hell out of it. I think it would make a great first split to leave the snowshoes behind and join the fun. My only concerns are that the board isn't really that stiff, and it doesn't have a wrap around metal edge. I want this to be a board that I ride around on for the season so that I can figure out what I really want to be riding in my back woods, and to have a board that if I mess up I can only feel the sentimental pain not $$$$ pain.

Can I cut it and still ride it?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Post subject: Re: no wrap around edge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:25 pm 

I say cut away, with no wrap around edge its easier to split and a shorter board should maintain the flex with all the hardware mounted, since its mounted closer together than a long board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 pm 

Cut it or find a cheap stiff board and cut that. put an inside edge in helps to stiffen it up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:45 pm 

Giv'r! Worse comes to worse, you're out some t-nuts, epoxy and an old board. Go the universal split kit route and you can reuse most of the hardware on another split next year or slap it on a factory split when the cash comes about. Or just keep the board rideable for early season sharks. That's what I've done with my Lib Tech Mullet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:18 am 

Im gonna cut it then. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 am 

I am alittle confused on the "universal split kit" I was checking Voile website to see if they had more than one. Maniacdave are you saying buy the universal mounting kit and get the t-nuts and extra screws from the hardware store? I would like to be able to mount Splitrail or Spark bindings when I have the spare money.

Don't I need the tip and tail clips from the DIY split kit?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:02 pm 

The Universal doesn't come with Chinese hooks or Tip & Tail clips. The DIY kit comes with t-nuts and non-adjustable pucks. Both come with slider tracks. You can get any additional spare parts separately from Voile.

I think Dave was making his recommendation that if you end up with a factory split or build another DIY you can reuse the entire kit.

The adjustable pucks and plates are more expensive when purchased separately. You could also just mix and match just what you want but it will cost +$200 for the voile parts.

Hope I helped and didn't confuse you more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:30 pm 

So I can buy the DIY split package now, and then when I upgrade to sb specific bindings can I buy the universal pucks and just change out a few screws? Do the holes for the DIY split kit pucks line up with the holes for the universal pucks that will accept sb specific bindings?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 pm 

Both will allow the a splitboard binding. But the DYI and Adjustable pucks are different hole patterns.

I would recommend just getting the DYI kit. It will include everything you need. You can later mess with your setup one you are more familiar.

Post subject: tip and tail clips
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm 

Last question I hope...

So far so good, everything is crooked but it all connects right so it will ride! I am on the tip and tail clips, I tried to go outside tonight on the stairs infront of my apartment and use the hammer and quarter technique from the Voile video. I was fighting getting everything lined up to hit it with the hammer and then I guess I was hitting it to soft? I couldn't get it to work. Then the cops came by and got me all flustered, 27 and I still freak out when they come around like I am 15 and on my skateboard again. Anyways is there a better technique for getting the rivits to work or do I just need to hit it a bit harder and make it work?

Thanks

PS

Dear Mother Nature,

I am sorry I am a bit behind schedule with the split but I have my first trip scheduled for next weekend in Southern VT. If you could make it dump like you always do for me that would be great.

Love,
Jeremy