Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Northern Vermont 11-12
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:25 pm 

Headed up to Smuggs to poach a lap this morning before work. It was bitter and windy, but the skies were clear. Hopefully the boat load of sunshine today worked the base. As far as riding the new snow, it all blew into the trees last night and it was just to sketch to ride in my opinion. So I bombed a groomer, plus a couple nice pow turns. It was fun packing back to the car while everyone else was still working on coffee.

Awesome sunrise up at smuggs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:15 pm 

802smuggler wrote:
Headed up to Smuggs... I bombed a groomer, plus a couple nice pow turns. It was fun packing back to the car while everyone else was still working on coffee.

nice, sometimes that's all it takes. way to get out and make lemonade.

fyi, looks like day temps on sat/sun will be marginal again on the hill, but the moisture should be there. fingers are crossed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:02 pm 

ok this roller coaster ride pretty much sucks, I want OFF...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:13 am 

vtbackcountry wrote:
ok this roller coaster ride pretty much sucks, I want OFF...

no shit. We got the big 'R' in Bolton and temps are dropping to lock the surface up tight. Hopefully we can get into a (cold) storm track and lay some surface down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:17 pm 

^^ x2 boo to the weather rollercoaster. My skins are gathering dust :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:23 pm 

Got some good turns in this morning at Smugg's before work. Probably around 5" in the non-wind-affected areas. Felt good to finally get out on the split this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:25 pm 

Now that the holidays are over my girlfriend has given me the green light to start looking for splits. Just wondering what you all in Vermont are riding. I'd like to be able to really enjoy the deep when and if the snow gets here! But also not be so pow specific that it makes spring riding tricky. Also scouting what the lady friends are riding.
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:20 pm 

802smuggler wrote:
Now that the holidays are over my girlfriend has given me the green light to start looking for splits. Just wondering what you all in Vermont are riding. I'd like to be able to really enjoy the deep when and if the snow gets here! But also not be so pow specific that it makes spring riding tricky. Also scouting what the lady friends are riding.
Thanks in advance!

Prior Khyber: Tapered shap with rocker at both ends means a shorter board for tight trees.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:25 pm 

on a 62 S series now w/ Voile hardware & CO2s after a decade+ on 66 & 73 split decisions out west. they were great powder boards, especially in the Wasatch and super deep. a little soft and thin feeling back here. the S series seems a touch more solid/thicker and a bit stiffer in the tail and torsion in comparison, but is again a cambered deck. a VERY nice ride for the east b/c, a bit more responsive it seems in variable conditions. i'm liking that. i'm 6'3, 180, all mtn freerider.

would love to add a rocker board to the quiver, but not in the cards right now. we still have a couple extra setups kickin around for friends or newbies. my lady is now sporting last years mojo 54 which she LOVES after coming off a 59 split decision out west. shorter and way easier to turn in the trees here w/ some taper. 5'9, 130, faster all mtn rider

hoping to demo other brands like prior, rome, etc soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:29 pm 

Thanks. I've heard a lot of positive feedback for the women on voile 154's. The venture lineup looks great but I'm not sure they really cater to Vermont conditions. The freebird also sounds pretty cool. Light and tight with rocker and camber. Think I'm leaning that way right at the moment. Will research prior a bit more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:49 pm 

fyi, twostowe rode the freebird here all last season... maybe you can pm him for his opinion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:07 am 

802smuggler wrote:
Thanks. I've heard a lot of positive feedback for the women on voile 154's. The venture lineup looks great but I'm not sure they really cater to Vermont conditions. The freebird also sounds pretty cool. Light and tight with rocker and camber. Think I'm leaning that way right at the moment. Will research prior a bit more.

FWIW, a lot of friends (including myself) got the Mojo when it came out... and sold it right away. Too stiff and no fun in the tight trees for my liking. The Prior is more playful in deep snow... feels just like the Burton Malolo and Fish combo: Doesn't sink, super tight radius and still can carve. The Prior is by far the best splitty i've own (Burton w/ their system, Voile Mojo and Prior Khyber).

One thing for sure, get some Sparks Bindings: They're awsome and you'll never go back to the Voile plates setup!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 pm 

Is everybody hybernating? Cross your fingers for this storm coming in on Thursday!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next