Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NS SL, Helix or AMF?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:17 pm 

So I am torn between three splitboards; the Never Summer SL 161, Venture Helix 162, and the Prior AMF 162. I am clearly looking for a playful board to play around in the Jackson Hole backcountry. I am planning on setting one of these up with Karakorum bindings. Anyone have any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: NS SL, Helix or AMF?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:58 pm 

You know they always say, once you go never summer, you never go back. I have a 172 summit, 161 raptor, 161 legacy and a 161 SL split that I just picked up but have not used. All of their boards are bombers and can take a beating. The specs on the SL split are similar to the heritage so it charges hard and is still playful enough for big mountain freestyle. Other reviews I have read say it rides like a heritage too. Havent ridden the other two boards you speak of, but its hard to beat the quality and construction of never summer plus their 3 year warranty gives you piece of mind. Once the avalanche conditions in SW montana permit back country riding again, I will be taking mine out and can give you more feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:27 pm 

It will be a matter of personal preference - that which best suits your body and riding style; try to ride each of them first--with your preferred stance width, angles and set-back each time--then decide.

Venture boards are every bit as durable as Never Summers, and all the manufacturers you list make plenty-durable boards for the vast majority of riders' circumstances. I would disregard claims touting one above the others; more important is how a particular deck fits your needs.

So, again, try to ride as many on your list as you can before buying.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:08 am 

I have an NS SL solid, that is a three years old and has become my top notch rock board (due to years of abuse). It is a super fun board. I did break my a never summer deck first season on it, but it was quickly replaced by the current board thanks to the warranty. Good company, good boards, good times. So the SL is the direction I am leaning unless I hear some convincing arguments for the other two. I have read alot about the other venture boards, but nothing on the helix; anyone have any experience with this board?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:31 am 

The SL split is the Heritage. Don't compare it to their regular SL.

The SL Split is a solid deck that can do just about anything for you.

Overall, I'd pick between the Helix and the NS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm 

Just adding my :twocents:

Was all about the Never Summer SL Split, But didn't want to spend the $$ (and they didn't have my size, 165)

Found a Killer deal at CampSaver.com (the let me do layaway) on a Prior AMF. Love It. Got board, skins, and hardware for $900.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:33 pm 

I would take into account your preferred waiste width and also what camber you would prefer to ride. twin tip vs directional, camber vs flat vs rocker! I have the venture zephyer; this is a directional flat to rocker nose and tail. I love this board, but you can only get a 25 or 26 cm waiste width with this venture board. I wear a 10.5 boot and prefer to ride a 25.6 waste. This board rides and handles great in all snow conditions. I have heard that Prior makes some of the best splits out there and i would love to have one of the new carbon laid boards they make, but they are spendy. I like to support venture because they are located in silverton and they are good people! Just my :twocents:

Peace out

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 pm 

I have a Venture and a NS. Venture is a better board. NS makes very good boards too, but yeah I'm not going to get into it. They're clearly for two different riders. They both deliver excellent customer service too so you got that going for ya.

If you want a Venture I highly recommend considering the zephyr. It's the best constructed board I've ever had and it's probably my favorite design ever. Classic is the word that comes to mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:40 am 

Stoked!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 pm 

Nachoconqueso wrote:
I have a Venture and a NS. Venture is a better board. NS makes very good boards too, but yeah I'm not going to get into it. They're clearly for two different riders. They both deliver excellent customer service too so you got that going for ya.

If you want a Venture I highly recommend considering the zephyr. It's the best constructed board I've ever had and it's probably my favorite design ever. Classic is the word that comes to mind.

Ha - lucky you to have both but I really think you should 'get into it' - hate to just hear a flat statement about the 'better board' - may be better for you, but not for me, or for the OP

I would also pick between NS and Venture, and last year I got a Heritage 161 split. It is what I wanted - playful, damp, holds a good edge on the hard. I looked at the Ventures R in the store, and while specs said flat / rocker, I actually saw a bit of trad camber. I am certain that it wouldn't be as playful as my NS. Salesperson is a friend and gave me the 'hand built variation' etc story - OK, but this is not what I wanted at the time (or now, for that matter). If Venture had some form of magne / vario edge tech, I would be more interested... Also, Venture's waist was narrow for my taste / boot size in my preferred length. I am sure I can ride Venture and will probably like it, but I believe for me NS was a better choice.

Cheers
Ivo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 am 

lernr wrote:
Ha - lucky you to have both but I really think you should 'get into it' - hate to just hear a flat statement about the 'better board' - may be better for you, but not for me, or for the OP

Sorry, can't do it. Lucky me that I work really hard. Nice attitude though.

"I am certain that it wouldn't be as playful as my NS"

I have experience with both. You have experience with one. I honestly don't think you know what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:36 am 

My $0.02,

I do think the NS is more playful. It also has much better pop. The camber at the tail will do that. The SL Split just wants to turn, it's very lively. So I agree with lernr there.

I found the Venture models to have better float and skin better. Also, for flat out straight lining it on steep terrain, the Odin just killed it.

Again, both companies are making killer boards and it really comes down to preference. I can see why Nacho would prefer a Venture over a Neversummer and vice a versa for lernr.

Both companies are also small companies, though in the scheme of things Venture is teensy eensy when compared to NS.

I really don't know which board is better for the OP.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:39 pm 

Killclimbz wrote:
The SL split is the Heritage. Don't compare it to their regular SL.

The SL Split is a solid deck that can do just about anything for you.

Vince told me the exact same things.